hi

on ebay how can i ensure that i dont get scammmed or ripped off etc?

im interested in bidding on something but the seller currently has no feedback.

i know that all ebayers start out with no feedback so there can be a bit of stigma to not have any feedback but i just wanna be careful.

all help appreciated!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Phone them, or email them.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
don't buy off someone without feedback. it may be a bs account they made so they can rip people off and not let their main one get screwed with bad feedback.
Quote by billab0ng
don't buy off someone without feedback. it may be a bs account they made so they can rip people off and not let their main one get screwed with bad feedback.

What if you're a lowly new user?
Quote by billab0ng

, I found it funny when I saw you were a Feb 07'er.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Most sellers that are worried will require that you have a certain level of feedback but that is usually on members that sell cars and such. Always check their feedback. Also keep in mind there are ALOT of whiney ass people out there so look at the people's feedback that left negative feedback to see how much they bitch. Also make sure you use the message system on Ebay for ALL interactions. This way Ebay will have records of all that was said. I have bought all kinds of stuff off Ebay and have never been ripped off. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
probably not worth it to risk it, especially if its a major purchase. and what's so funny about being a feb 07'er?
Quote by billab0ng
probably not worth it to risk it, especially if its a major purchase. and what's so funny about being a feb 07'er?

You're new, that means people laugh at you for being new
meh, i got a few friends who used to post here a lot. they finally convinced me to join up. what the date of my joining is doesn't really matter, but if you want to laugh at trivial things, enjoy yourself.
Quote by billab0ng
meh, i got a few friends who used to post here a lot. they finally convinced me to join up. what the date of my joining is doesn't really matter, but if you want to laugh at trivial things, enjoy yourself.

I'm sure they will
i think the best way to "not get f'ed in the a" is to not mis-spell the website.

eBay =/= eGay
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Quote by billab0ng

haha

you said i could.
ok as usual the pit thread has descended into madness.

ok if i use paypal for example to pay for the item and then he doesnt send the item and doesnt reply to my messages is there anything i can do about it?

Fronkpies im not undermining your advice but i dont see how phoning or emailing them will help? all they have to do is lie if they want when you think about it you know?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by 13579ed
^he is very articulate. No teh noobzor for him. I respect you billabong

why thank you.
Quote by buzz
ok as usual the pit thread has descended into madness.

ok if i use paypal for example to pay for the item and then he doesnt send the item and doesnt reply to my messages is there anything i can do about it?

if they've left an actual email address you could track him if you took it to the authorites, but if it's a well set up scam then they may have covered their tracks and you could be screwed.
Quote by sunnysayshi
IDK Whats the item?

cant say....dont want others jumping on a bargain

dont ebay have some sort of service whereby if you do get F'ed in the A they can do something about it?

and paypal?do they have an anti-scam type of system?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
cant say....dont want others jumping on a bargain

dont ebay have some sort of service whereby if you do get F'ed in the A they can do something about it?

and paypal?do they have an anti-scam type of system?

Yup, they can normally IP ban the seller, and get a partial or full refund.

That's what happened when I got ripped off.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Yup, they can normally IP ban the seller, and get a partial or full refund.

That's what happened when I got ripped off.

cool can you elaborate how you got the refund,like from who and so on?

how much did you pay (and lose) and how much compensation did you get?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I have never used eBay, but couldn't it be possible to pay after you get the item, with a bill?
Quote by Drizzoul
I have never used eBay, but couldn't it be possible to pay after you get the item, with a bill?

the general concencus on ebay is to pay first item shipped first but i suppose i could ask.

any other hints/tips??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

If a seller rips you off you can contest it. They will refund you. I ordered a CD and got the wrong one. the seller didn't respond to any of my emails so I put in a dispute ticket. I was refunded. I guess as long as you dont do it on every other sale they will work with you. Ebay is a huge corporation now. It is relatively safe. Just use common sense on who you buy from. If it looks shady it probably is. If you have 98.9% positive feedback with 1500 sales do the math. They are probably decent.

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
yeah but this guy has no feedback at all.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Well, I'd contact teh seller first ask if you can talk to him over the phone or soemthing. If he says no but offers another decent form of communication sure. But if he out right refuses and starts sounding suspicious dont' bid. You can tell a lot about the teller by listening to their verbal language and fluidity of sentences. If they talk in really choppy sentences and sound stressed once you start asking some harder then normal questions to answer then they are most likely a fake and trying to get away with a fraud.

And ebay does have a dispute forum where you can submit a non-sending payer and ebay will look over the information and react accordingly But keep in mind you most likely wont' get all of your money back.
Quote by buzz
yeah but this guy has no feedback at all.

How much are you spending? Ebay will refund you if it goes south. I personally wouldn't if it was priced high and no feedback.

at the moment its at about 100euro but that could easily treble by tomorrow.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX