okay well i've been trying to learn how to do this for a couple months and was just wondering how long it took some of you people to get the hang of.

any pointers are welcome too
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
It takes a whole lotta practice for sure... It took a couple of months to sweep pick without mistakes and missing notes... Getting the technique down is kinda hard if you don't know how to hold the pick and get the "feel" of it

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
what IS the correct way to hold the pick then?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
yeah i already watched that video. its really helpful
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
what IS the correct way to hold the pick then?

I try to hold it with a whole lotta angle... When downpicking try to have the pick pionted downwards--/--------------and try not to have the pick completely parallel in terms of width of pick...Picking upwards is a little easier... --------\--------- same thing as downsweeping just opposite... Your index finger is what does more of the work instead of your thumb on upsweeping. Be very smooth and fuid no hand seizures

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
alright thanks fro the tips
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
i can do 5 string sweeps... 2 months?
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
like i can do 4 string sweeps fine but if there are hammer ons or pull offs i can't do it
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I can do 5 string sweeps pretty nicely but I did start learning sweeps very slowly. Sweeps aren't even that hard once you get a hold of them. The hardest for me is doing sweeps where you have to roll your finger across the same fret on different string. That will probably take a lot of practice so the string don't ring when they're not supposed to.

All you have to do is start of with some 3 string sweeps very slowly - and practice on clean every now and then so you don't get sloppy. Then move up to 4 or 5 strings and again start very slowly. If you practice slow with a metronome you'll be surprised at how fast you'll improve.
Rusty Cooley says it took him around 7 years to be able to sweep at a professional level... so... don't feel bad if it takes you a few weeks
lol....rusty cooley is f***ing insane
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I learnt to do 5 string sweeps in one night by repeating the solo for Aesthetic by Between the BUried and Me over and over. I cant do 3 or 4 string sweeps though im workin on that now.
Quote by bodomfan666
i can do 5 string sweeps... 2 months?

2 months sounds like the right time to me. After that, 6 string sweeps come with ease. Now, the pain in the ass for me is 7 string sweeps. My advice to the threadstarter is, start REAL slow, i mean, painfully slow. Make sure there is no string noise and you aren't playing two notes simultaneously. Don't tense your picking hand either, I made this mistake and it cut down the time that I could sweep for, i've finally got it out of my playing after about 3 weeks of metronome labour. Be relaxed!
i week or two
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
3 string sweep's = couple hour's
anything above 3 = i'm having alot of trouble with my dumb pinky!
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
Well, I probably started half a year ago... All in all, I've probably only spent a few hours cumulative on the technique though. I can do any type of sweeping, but with most fast things, I have to start of slow to moderate before I bring it up to speed.

My only recommendation is to know exactly what you're sweeping. It's hard to play fast, if you don't know where to go.