Hey,

I'm considering getting a Marshall dsl 401 combo, because it's the cheapest all valve Marshall I can find, but I've just got some questions:

First of all: is it any good? (I use a Epi Les Paul with Duncan Distortion in the neck, for Guns N' Roses, Green Day (So what?), Muse and other hard rock)

Am I right in saying that the gain knob is pretty useless unless your cranking the volume? I usually play at very low volumes to avoid annoying housemates. If so, would a tubescreamer or similar allow me to get distortion at more modest volumes? I don't need super-duper high gain just hard rock type stuff as I said above?

How long will the valves last, and can I put different valves in it to make it better when the stock ones wear out?
- Dan

Epi. Les Paul /w Duncan Pups
Marshall 30MGDFX
Digitech Hot Head Distortion
Whammy Pedal :P
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bollocks, sorry 'bout that, got too many browsing windows open at once I think.
- Dan

Marshall 30MGDFX
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
S'okay.

But yeah, an Weber attenuator allows you to get cranked tone by using a speaker motor with no cone, so no output, to take some of the load, basically. You can then run your amp with cranked tone, at reasonable volumes. The more you attenuate it, of course, the more the tone is affected by the attenuation, but speaker motors are more tonally transparent than resistor based models on the market.
I have one, it rocks.
Cool, thanks I'll look into that.
- Dan

Marshall 30MGDFX
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
WO WO WO WO WO.............................first of all.......never ever ever ever ever by an amp because its the cheapest you can find...........my advice to you would be to go somewhere and try out amps............find one you like (and can afford)....... and then look into what other people have to say about it........i mean........c'mon.........Marshalls are good but unless youre shelling out 5 grand for the head and another 5 fer the cab...........they're not THAT amazing............you should try out some amps by a company named ORANGE.
Actualy the DSL401 is a fine amp. And you're exaggerating ALOT with that price tag. Don't be misleading. Also, you've single-handedly destroyed everything the period stands for with your abuse of punctuation.
But yes, there are a lot of respectable amp companies other than Marshall that have great British rock tone.
Actualy the DSL401 is a fine amp. And you're exaggerating ALOT with that price tag. Don't be misleading. Also, you've single-handedly destroyed everything the period stands for with your abuse of punctuation.

He's 13, we should be grateful he's using any punctuation...

The DSL401 is a great amp, and very good value for money - and also it's a fair bit cheaper than the cheapest Orange tube combo. You can pick up stuff by Laney and Ashdown (at least for the moment) for the same price range though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
He's 13, we should be grateful he's using any punctuation...

don't insult him like that! he's thirteen........and a half.

LMAO
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Buy an amp you like, and try it out for yourself, not ask a forum.

It's common sense, man....
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30