Right, I've got my speaker cabinet for my Sound City head now, and the speakers are installed in it also - they just need wiring up which I will do in the next few days (all the wire is there and as is the input jack; they just need wiring in)

Anyway, I need to get a speaker cable, and me being the guy I am would rather make one from what I have lying around than pay for one and go through the hassle of ordering one and waiting for it to arrive.

So, I know not to use regular guitar cable for a speaker cable, as it is too thin and I should be using a thicker wire. Will any insulated wire do? I ask because in my garage I have boxes of old electrical wire from old applicances and such, and plenty of guitar jacks from old broken cables I have lying around. Will electrical wire do then?

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate, and I like making use of everything rather than wasting my money.

Calum
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
If I understand right it seems that you want a cable to hook up your head to your cab correct? What you need is Quarter inch speaker cable. Its basically the same thing as Quarter inch instrument cable, except that it has more shielding, and can better handle the load... I mean you could use Instrument Cable, but the sound wouldn't be as good...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
^No. It has no shielding, not more. And you can't use it, because it can't handle the load and if the cable fails you'll blow your output transformer.

You'll probably just need to get a speaker cable. You could make it with 1/4 inch ends and anything bigger than say 16 guage wire, but it won't be very durable as the 1/4 plugs won't connect solidly to whatever wire you may have.
^ The 1/4" jacks have metal cable grips in them that you bend round and clamp the wire with, and since it is connecting the amp and head I don't think it'll see too much movement TBH.

Will anything greater than 16 guage be ok then?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Anything 16 guage or bigger is fine. I use 14 guage in my cabs, anything like a lamp cord or such should be plenty big.