Alright, this is something that's been bothering me for awhile now. I'm wanting to start practicing these techniques, but have no idea where to start.

Also, from what I understand, each technique is different? If so, what are the differences between them, and how many types of finger picking techniques are there (if more)?

Also, I work with a metronome, so breaking down the steps in a way that I can practice with it would be best (ie: 1st click pick, 2nd click pluck with middle finger, 3rd click hammer one, etc...).

Sorry if what I'm asking is a little blurry, this is a brand new subject to me, so I really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about...
Quote by Nick_
But the point is: Music is too mutable, too ambiguous, too unruly to allow itself to be defined by an absolute syntax of terms. Don't bother. Live with it.
Fingerpicking/Fingerstyle: You strum and pluck with your fingers. This is how classical guitar is played, though it is used in many styles.

Hybrid picking/Pick-and-Fingers/Chicken Pickin: You pick the lower strings with a pick and pluck the higher strings with your singers.

Fusion Picking: Never heard of it.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up! Now, in terms of Hybrid picking/Pick-and-Fingers/Chicken Picken, what are some good ways to practice this technique?
Quote by Nick_
But the point is: Music is too mutable, too ambiguous, too unruly to allow itself to be defined by an absolute syntax of terms. Don't bother. Live with it.
^ i just recommend finding simple songs starting out that are classical in nature (ie, where you'll be hitting notes spaced one or more strings apart, ie the E and D and B strings) or where plucking will give the correct sound as opposed to strumming. evanescence "my immortal" can be chicken picked (if you like evanescence)
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the help guys, if anyone knows of any other good songs for practicing hybrid picking, then feel free to post it!
Quote by Nick_
Quote by magicman0508
Now, in terms of Hybrid picking/Pick-and-Fingers/Chicken Picken, what are some good ways to practice this technique?
I don't do it, though I'd like to learn eventually, but I'd imagine that the following would be a good starting exercise on which you can build move complex exercises.

The notes on the low E string should be played with a pick. The others should be played with a finger. I suggest playing high e with the pinky, B with the ring finger, and G with the middle finger. You shouldn't have to worry about the index finger since it is holding the plectrum.

e---0-----------
B--------0------
G-------------0-
D----------------
A----------------
E-0----0----0--
Awesome! I'll have to give this exercise a try.
Quote by Nick_
thats a good exercise, i personally don't use my pinky except for chorded pieces, if i'm playing the high E i personally usually use my ring finger. but go with what BGC suggested as it will certainly be better in the long run, when i first started doing it i took the easy way out which as we all know isn't the best way to go.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

e---0-----------
B--------0------
G-------------0-
D----------------
A----------------
E-0----0----0--

I've practiced this for about 10 minutes with a metronome, and I have to say that this exercise is really good! I started off at 1 note per beat, then I would increase the speed to 2 notes per beat for a few minutes, then return to 1.

It's going to take some time to get use to it, but I'm definitely liking hybrid picking!
Quote by Nick_
You may want to try using the ring finger for those. Classically speaking, you would, but there is a bit more flex with hybrid picking.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Will do. As of now, I'm going to just practice coordinating my fingers to the strings, and I'll just add to my playing as I go.
Quote by Nick_
try hybrid picking beggining to stairway to heaven. it's normally fingerpicked, but that's what got me into hybrid picking...