Hey everyone, I've been looking around the site as to what amp I should get but it isn't working out so well so I decided to create a new thread.

So my budget right now is $250 USD.
I play a variety of musisc, AC/DC, Metallica, Nirvana, Zeppelin, Blues, and other things within those respective genres. I had originally planned to straight up go for the Peavey Valveking 112 which is $430 from a quick search I found. The high price discourages me but I don't think I need anything more than a practice amp for now and I'm aware that "I get what I pay for" so if anyone has anything to say about that specific amp, that'd be great too.

I have been looking into the Orange Crush 30R. Would that suit my needs well? If any one else has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.
Orange amps are nice.

You could also get an epi valve junior.

Or if you want SS, I think vox makes a 30 watt hybrid amp thats very good for around that price.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I also have upped my budget to the ValveKing now that I can afford it.
If that changes anything and I'm not necessarily looking for a valve amp and it's mostly for practice but for something I COULD gig with one day. Like with the valveking, I'd use that for life but the usage of valves turn me off a little, should I let that discourage me? The maintenance of it and whatnot.
The usage of valves discourage you to buy a tube amp...

Well, I can see where you're going with this, but tubes only will be changed...well, not for a while. But trust me on this, tube amps are awesome...I just love them.

But I don't think I'll really suggest a valveking, I haven't heard too many good things about it. I say save up for a b-52 combo or something.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
If all you need is a practice amp, go with the Valve Jr. They're great little amps that you can do LOADS to. As a matter of fact, mine is still out of its chassis awaiting further mods.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
I actually never thought about getting a valve jr. with a cab cause I just wanted to get one set thing. As for Jinskee, I have seen many of your posts raving about it and many others as well which leads me to believe that it's well worth it.

How much would it cost to replace anyway? And which b-52?
Quote by SLdK
I actually never thought about getting a valve jr. with a cab cause I just wanted to get one set thing. As for Jinskee, I have seen many of your posts raving about it and many others as well which leads me to believe that it's well worth it.

How much would it cost to replace anyway? And which b-52?

Probably an AT 112 is the cheapest tube combo. The LG's are way cheaper and also sound a bit worse. Still good amps. The AT 112 goes for about $550 I think on musician's friend, but you can find them cheaper. The new ones at Guitar Center go about $450.

Edit: And to replace tubes, unless you go with the ultra expensive tubes, I think it's anywhere between $10 and $80ish a tube. You can get matched quads of JJ's for about $35-$40 and a matched pair for around $18-$20.
Last edited by me_llamo_juan at Feb 20, 2007,
Tubes don't sound so bad then. AT112 looks good but I'm leaning probably more towards the LG. I want to desperately try out an orange but nobody around here has any.
Oranges might be a bit out of your reach. They're about 800+. I'd suggest you try out the Laney LC15.
I looked at the heads, yeah they're pricey but I like how much the Crush 30R offers. If I ever see that Laney, I'll give it a try.

edit

I also came across this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVTTBANDIT

Anyone know anything about that?
Last edited by SLdK at Feb 20, 2007,
Yeah... the only place near me with Orange amps is the Great House of Guitars by Rochester. I didn't even get to play any when I was there because they had them like... locked up for something. That and i was testing a JCM 800 for the 30 minutes I as there.
But yeah, I've never tried the Crush, but it should be pretty good.
And I don't think the Tiny Terror head is that pricey. Check that one out too.
Stay away from the bandits.

The Valve Junior also comes as a combo, so you don't have to get a cab. I had a cab sitting around from my old Carvin X100B so I just bought the head version.

The Orange amps are a bit too expensive for what you get. They're good amps, don't get me wrong. I just think there's better stuff out there.

A B-52 might serve you well. They've always come well recommended.

You can also build your next amp (what I'm doing). All you need to know how to do is solder for some of the builds. I can pull up some good sites if that sparks your interest.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
I won't trust myself with building anything.

As for the B-52, if that's the case I'll probably get the LG.