When Im playing for example a solo or a riff, I mean when Im not playing chords - if Im not using a plectrum, what ways are there to pluck the strings?

Well, dont know if Im asking it right. Any help will be welcome anyways. Thanx in advance.
Got too deep but - how deep is too deep?

FOUNDER OF THE ARCTIC MONKEYS FAN CLUB PM me to join.
I knew I hadnt asked it right =P

What I meant was, which fingers should I use and how should I put them? For example, bass players use their index and middle fingers, but Ive seen some guitarists use their thumb and index finger. So, Im a bit confused.

Hope I asked it right this time =S

I use my thumb for the low 3 strings and my pointer, middle, and ring for the high three strings
Finger tips, finger nails, teeth, tonque, belt (I've done slide with my buckle), you could use a lot of things.

Finger picking on a guitar, I tend to strum downwards with my thumb and pick the strings upwards with my index, middle, ring and (sometimes) pinky. When I finger pick chords, I have one finger on each string that's to be hit and pick all at the same time. It gives a different sound to strumming. Just experiment, you can be very diverse with different finger picking techniques.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
It really depends on what your trying to play.. Picking produces a sharper, "pickier" sound.. I love the sound of finger played nylon strings. You can use your fingers and pluck the strings Spanish style. Or, if your the a pick-bastard like me who just can't live without the up and down strokes and speed that comes with a pick, you can leave your pointer finger's nail just long enough to use as pick. Just don't count on it surviving seven straight Primus solos.. Your fingernail will be thin as a sheet of paper by the fifth.
^_^
Lol, thanks then, everyone, Ill just experiment a bit from now on.

Since we are on topic, would it be OK to pick the strings of a GUITAR the way bass players pick them? You know, with the index and middle fingers. Or maybe using all fingers, but picking the strings upwards the way they do? Just asking, I find its quite comfortable to pick them that way =P

Last edited by ArgentinianGirl at Feb 20, 2007,
Tendrias que adoptar el estilo clasico, es decir, las maneras para tocar la guitarra clasica. Puedes ayudarte con cualquier lección sobre guitarra clásica para mano derecha (suponiendo que eres zurda). Generalmente se utiliza el pulgar para tocar las notas graves, en este caso, las ultimas tres cuerdas, y los dedos restantes incluyendo el meñique para las notas mas agudas. La diferencia de utilizar los dedos con respecto al plectro/púa, es que el primero tendra un tono mas cálido con mas graves, mientras que en el último es mas agudo, sobresale mas. Puedes escuchar a John Mayer, el utiliza bastante las dos tecnicas para alternar entre solos y la parte ritmica.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Wes Montgomery uses his thumb like you might use a pick - it's hard to master but the sound and feel is extremely satisfying.

Guys like Beck and Knopfler use their thumb and index primarily with some middle when it's convenient

Flamenco players play fast scale runs picado, with the index and middle. It is possible to get this up to the speed of a picker; just ask Paco.

If you're serious about right hand finger dexterity, I'd suggest finding a classical teacher to show you proper technique.
Quote by ArgentinianGirl
Since we are on topic, would it be OK to pick the strings of a GUITAR the way bass players pick them?

No, that wouldn't work very well with guitar because of string spacing. Plus, that would be a very difficult way to play chords. Avoid playing like that.
A very similar looking technique is used to play single note lines by flamenco players though

It can be done, and well.
Thanks everyone!

ElCumanés, nice to find someone speaking spanish =P

I think I'll try then to pluck the thicker strings with my thumb and the other strings with my other fingers. That'd be all right, I take it, from what you've been saying.
I'll work on it lol. Thanks again.