hey i would like some help with my lead playing. for a while i was stuck with a acoustic and was pritty hard to play lead soo i learnt finger pickings and rythm. but now iv got back my electric guitar and want to be able to play sum killer licks nd riffs.
could any one suggest and scales or techinques i could use?
thnx alot!!
Listen to guitarists you like, and instead of trying to play their licks, play their style. It helps improvisation immensely. Blues style players, like hendrix, clapton, hammet, hoey, work really well.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I agree with the rest of the poeple here.
A good technique is to listen to some songs that have
a sound that is sweet to your ears. Learn the scales
associated with the song or the lick that sticks to your
mind. Thats when u can learn that scale.

A pretty good scale to start out with is the Pentatonic scale. 8th fret (i play at 5)
grab 5 notes and have at it!! its real simple, but can sound great. lol
-1-1-1-1-1-1

----3--3-3----
--4---------4-4

thats 8-12, 8-11, 8-11, 8-11, 8-12, 8,12
play this scale down and up...
start it in different places and end in different places
try to use only the specified finger for each note.

After a while you will create your favorite patterns and you will automatically begin to
associate notes with eachother.

soon you will be able to play the notes while thinking of them simultaneously.

another unorthodox technique i learned came from jimi hendrix.
there are some studio sessions out there where he actually hummed
out the licks. Then he started to find the notes to play them.

another fun thing i like to do is play the lick in alot of different places..and when you
find the position that's just right, jump up 13 frets and play it an octave higher.
or play the same scale back and forth between octaves..possiblities are endless

this could go on for days. I know its pretty vague but i hope it still helps

I know you play acoustic. That could be your strength.
playing rythm and lead at the same time is one of the best examples of showmanship in the art. Nothing like watching one person make one guitar sound like two. I love it.

One question you should ask yourself as a lead player is: how do i create an original sound that is trademark without sounding predictable and repeditive? Some artists dont realise that they use the same notes of the same scale an awful lot. Try to find that Happy medium. good luck
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 19, 2007,
Learn a few solos, riffs, or licks and mess with em. For instance... I used to mess with the Stairway to Heaven solo a lot and I had no idea what scale or key it was in. Try to expand or change it up a little. Just use the notes that are in the piece. I'd also recommend the Minor Pentatonic. Lots of great players use that scale.

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
try some melodic metal or just melodic "stuff". like listen ot some cob and look at their tabs or get some good examples from dimebag darrell (R.I.P.) he had some kickass licks.
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by deathmetalboy
try some melodic metal or just melodic "stuff". like listen ot some cob and look at their tabs or get some good examples from dimebag darrell (R.I.P.) he had some kickass licks.

BGC was referring to

this lovely tidbit of a video

if you weren't sure.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Try learning the Augmented fifth scale, as it is the most commonly used shredding scale. It sounds like a Minor scale with an added raised 5th. I just love it.
Quote by deathmetalboy

I'm swiss, and, I am a shredder! You're not alone brother!
Quote by KissingShadows
Try learning the Augmented fifth scale, as it is the most commonly used shredding scale. It sounds like a Minor scale with an added raised 5th. I just love it.
Welp, the minor scale contains a raised fifth, but we call it a b6.
all i can say is scales, scales scales.. and practice, practice, practice.

seriously.. one thing about improv is that the guitarist isnt actually improvising all these bad ass notes that happen to sound good together.. they use scales to provide what i call "the blueprint" for a solo/melody/jam/whatever.. they know whats gonna sound good BEFORE they play it.

in the past month ive been handicapped and not able to hang with my friends.. so i picked up my guitar and decided to finally get better at lead, like you are. (originally intended to be rhythm guitarist but my buddy has his heart set on it, so if i wanna be in a band, i gotta be lead).. i learned about 5 new scales and have seen the results in my improv work improve like crazy.. im mixing scales and modes like no otha motha!!

seriously.. it just takes time.. time spent practicing.
I have been taught the minor pentatonic scale and why the notes sound great together. With a little experimentation around it I am frigthening myself. When I get all the other scales down I think I will be able to do some funky ass stuff.
always in the poo, only the depth changes
thnx guys thats real great i am actully in a band atm but no site sorry
i play rythm but i need that kick 4 solos nd other licks. thnx 4 the scales great help can any one suggest any sites i can watch???

normal is only a cycle on a washing machine
all-guitar-chords.com has an ass load of scales to choose from..

grab you guitar and see which ones you like the sound of best.