I can't keep my rythm with a metronome :s but when I play the song with the drum track or with a real drummer I can keep my rythm. does anyone know the reason for this?
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by noxios at Feb 19, 2007,
If in doubt: shred.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I'm a bass player and not a shredder and no I don't play 1/8 notes all the time
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
i dunno, sounds like your internal timing is broken.... j/k.... practice practice practice. if you have just started playing bass that might be it. timing on string instruments is a bit different than percussion and vice versa (hitting a note on the beat is the same, but it feels different playing a guitar, than it does a drumset) just keep trying.
I play bass for almost 2 years and I don't drum I play with the drum track on the background
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
It is just about practising. You might wanna put the metronome to a lower pace and build up.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
that is odd (and strangely enough i actually had this problem a long time ago, btw i misinterpreted what you were saying, i thought you were saying you could play drums) then i recommend, making sure you can play it with your eyes closed in the dark, have it DOWN. then switch over to the metronome. my problem when playing with a metronome was that i would lose track of which beat i was on, it may help to tap your foot every fourth beat (which is what i ended up doing and it worked itself out)
Leave the metronome on as you do other things to help embed the beat/rhythm into your head. Tapping your feet or counting out loud can also help.
I think your probably starting too fast, start slow (like 60) and work your way up.
I used to have this problem... I was conviced it ws because i have a clockwork metronome and i was letting it unwind too much. If playing with drums helps you then do that instead.
^is right, be it a drum loop or a click track, a metronome is a metronome. i use electronic drums on all my music (due mostly in part to the lack of drummer) so my drums keep perfect time and you will know right off the bat if you're falling out of time. either way will work.
where can you download a (good) drum machine??
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
Chances are it's because you aren't actually playing with an even speed and to the beat but just using the drum parts as an 'orientir' for your playing, if that makes sense to you? Like you memorize that "I have to play this when I hear this beat, when this cymbal hits I have to play this fill" etc. It's a common thing and it's what it sounds like to me. Only suggestions I have for you is to keep playing to the metronome, start very slow if you have to, see if you can tap out the rhythm as you play - that might help you (though some people just can't do it, like myself for example ) Also work on playing syncopated stuff, that helps your internal timing LOTS though it might be hard at first.

Meh, hope this helps.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!