Page 1 of 3
So after a long night of thinking I decided to scrap the LP build and go to something that I would need. (I already have a LP)

Ive decided on a rear wired Strat with a carved bookmatched maple top. The pickups are undecided but it will be HSH config.

EDIT:

New template.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Last edited by Lordoflax at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by leftyvox62
hardtail or trem? cant tell by the template

Trem, ive not put the bridge on yet, i'm finding it difficult to get it accurate with out the neck.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by mrperson
is it a vintage trem or the gotoh wilkinson

I might put a Floyd rose in, but i'm not sure, I might stay with hard tail.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Go FR, wait, go Ibanez ZR, if you can get your hands on one (from the S series not sure where you'd buy one on its own) they'll be the best you can get as they're easy to use and still reliable as feck.

Anyway good to see you picked a strat, they're always good ^^
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Go FR, wait, go Ibanez ZR, if you can get your hands on one (from the S series not sure where you'd buy one on its own) they'll be the best you can get as they're easy to use and still reliable as feck.

Anyway good to see you picked a strat, they're always good ^^

Thanks for the input. Does anybody else believe I should go fro the ZR?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by ririzarry
Just a matter of personal preference really but I prefer a fixed bridge.

Regards,

Rob

I don't think i'd really use it as much as I should.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
I don't think i'd really use it as much as I should.

Sorry - you mean you wouldn't use a tremolo much? If that's the case, you'd save yourself some bucks on your build by going with a fixed bridge.

Regards,

Rob
If you won't use a trem I suggest a strat trmolo just to make it that much more of a strat! (with my strats I have a very traditional look to them I hate strats that have humbuckers or hardtails, it makes me shudder )
Maybe having a Floyd would make you ge a litte more creative with using a trem. I'm hoping it works that way for me anyway. Mabye you could ge a floating strat trem. That would be pretty cool, sticking with the strat look and having a bit extra to experiment with?
But with a standard strat trem, won't I get poor tuning stability?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
But with a standard strat trem, won't I get poor tuning stability?

Not necessarily. Just use locking tuners, along with a graphite nut and make sure your guitar is set up properly. You shouldn't have that many problems, providing you don't do crazy dives constantly
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Not necessarily. Just use locking tuners, along with a graphite nut and make sure your guitar is set up properly. You shouldn't have that many problems, providing you don't do crazy dives constantly

thanks for the information. can you reccomend a decent strat trem?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Well tbh, anything to make a strat trem stay In tune will be used because. If I was going to get a FR I would be paying alot more than A strat trem. So any small parts will be able to be bought.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_wilkinson

This bridge was suggested earlier by someone.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by TheDev01dOne
If you wanted to go even fancier you could get one of those rolling nuts.

Well, you could, but they are a bit harder to install (if you're talking about the ones I'm thinking of).
I've heard excellent things about the Wilkinson 5+1 range that you can see here. Plus, they look awesome
If you don't want to go the vintage trem route, you can always use a non-trem bridge with string-thru. It's good for sustain, but I don't like the look of them much. If you went TOM + String-thru, I'd love you forever
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Well i'm going back to school now haha. So if anybody can give me opinions on the Gotoh Wilkinson and the Wilkinson 5+1.

Thanks.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So, anybody suggest which fender trem I should get?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Sorry for triple post, But I wanted to post my new template.

If It looks a little squashed, it's because I took the picture at an angle so there was no shadows.

Also, What wood do any of you guys reccomend for similar tonal properties as mahogany and a nice grain that would go nice with a maple bookmatched top?

Another question, Is having a trem classed as string through? If so, What trem do you think would give max sustain?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Some korina would go well with it.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
Some korina would go well with it.

But Korina is as difficult to get a hold of in the UK as mahogany

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
But Korina is as difficult to get a hold of in the UK as mahogany

SWAMP ASH!
=/
I thought the point in this guitar was to get a different sounding guitar to your LP which you'll have but I say go with Alder or Swamp ash or something for total versatility in your two guitars.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
=/
I thought the point in this guitar was to get a different sounding guitar to your LP which you'll have but I say go with Alder or Swamp ash or something for total versatility in your two guitars.

Would swamp ash work with a flamed maple top? Because the swamp ash seems very available. As with a maple top its going to be extremely bright which I don't particulary want or do I?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
Would swamp ash work with a flamed maple top? Because the swamp ash seems very available. As with a maple top its going to be extremely bright which I don't particulary want or do I?

I was under the impression that the swamp is darker than alder, but lighter than mahogany and very middy, but I may be mistaken. Do you really need a top on this guitar?
Yes I do need a top, because the routing I will be doing needs to be hidden by a top. Also, It would probably look quite good.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
Yes I do need a top, because the routing I will be doing needs to be hidden by a top. Also, It would probably look quite good.

Why do your routes need to be hidden? It's rear-routed for a start, and the pickup cavities will be covered. If you do chose to use a top, I think you should semi-chamber it
If you want a top It'll still sound decent but if you want it a little darker then go for basswood and a top, but if you can get hold of some mahogany then use that, though i still think haveing a les paul in the shape of a strat isnt going to have much of a difference to your guitars.
i think you should get clear acrilyic cos it looks cool, or maybe even lucite. i heard great things about the gotoh wilkinson and a graphite nut is cheaper than a roller.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
If you want a top It'll still sound decent but if you want it a little darker then go for basswood and a top, but if you can get hold of some mahogany then use that, though i still think haveing a les paul in the shape of a strat isnt going to have much of a difference to your guitars.

But Basswood isn't good for clear finishes. In my opinions the grain is ugly.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Just a quick question guys. About using a 5way switch. How think does my rear cavity need to be if i was going to use a 5way switch in the conventional way that is seen in most pickguards where you only see the the switch lever and knob, or do I have it so the metal plate is showing? See below

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Sorry for another triple but i'm just updating.

After thinking, I might just get a swamp ash solid body without the top. When the company sends me a picture, I will decide a nice finish.

Anybody got any suggestions?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Yes you can cut out a slot like on strat pickguard. It can be done with a dremel and a small bit.
Quote by dave293
Yes you can cut out a slot like on strat pickguard. It can be done with a dremel and a small bit.

But that area will need to be really thin, will it be stable enough?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

On a strat pickguard its about 3/32nds you could make it abit thicker if you wanted.
Quote by dave293
On a strat pickguard its about 3/32nds you could make it abit thicker if you wanted.

Thats the thing, If I got a top, It would be the correct size. But im just concerned that if I use Swamp Ash and Maple it will be too bright. Or is overally bright sometimes good?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Depends if you like it. I wouldn't go for swamp ash and maple be i'd don't know how well they would go aesthetically and tonally. I'd go with some mahogany, alder, walnut or limba.
Quote by dave293
Depends if you like it. I wouldn't go for swamp ash and maple be i'd don't know how well they would go aesthetically and tonally. I'd go with some mahogany, alder, walnut or limba.

But all those woods in the Uk are hard to get. I'm quite limited. How do you think swamp ash and lacewood would look? It's just I heard someone had some.

Any opinion are welcome. I would go for just swamp ash, but then wire channels etc would be harder to judge.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Page 1 of 3