what would be the wattage needed for a 15 watt guitar amp?

also, my bassist has a $150 jazz bass copy, and a $60 shiatty peavey valvetone 10w. should he get a new amp or save up for a real jazz bass?

also, he wants distortion. what distortion pedal would you recommend for rock, classic rock and metal?
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 19, 2007,
please make some sense please, if you would rephrase that whole thing better i could ask you, a good distortion pedal will probably be a ProCo RAT
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
I have no idea what you're asking, so I'm gonna assume you're asking about what your bassist should do.

I have a shitty Jazz bass copy myself, but I'm looking to up my amp. I suggest your bassist do the same, as it drastically improves the sound.

A good distortion pedal would be the Ibanez PD7. Very versatile.

Pinner amps (not always, but very very commonly) = pinner sound.
what would the wattage be to hear him over the drummer?

there.

and.

should he get a new amp or new guitar first?
New amp. New amp before guitar always. try to get at least 100 watts (you probably need a new amp too if you're competing with a drummer and have a 15 watt). Personally I would try to get 300 watts, but 100 will do.
amp. whats the point of a nice bass through a shit amp and you still can't hear **** all?

Prioritise these things!

and 65w is JUST enough to be heard over a drummer. 100W gives headroom, 200W means you're amp isn't being pushed too hard
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
anyone know of a good amp for cheap thats 100w that isnt used? keep it to a minumim peeps.

and no. im not a bassist. im a guitarist. this is for my bassist.
Seriously....it's not that hard to go to www.musiciansfriend.com and look for a bass amp that matches those specs thats in your price range. We told you what you need, could you at least make the effort to find it?
Quote by Bumper
Seriously....it's not that hard to go to www.musiciansfriend.com and look for a bass amp that matches those specs thats in your price range. We told you what you need, could you at least make the effort to find it?

Agreed.

We can only hold your hand for half of the road
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Bumper

no. becuase im bass retarded, and i dont know what amp will be good or not.
New amp. Bad bass will always sound better with a better amp than a good bass with a bad amp.

15 watts will not get you heard above a drummer, except maybe in a practice situation. I would recommend 100 as well, esp if your drummer is a wailer. But remember, the goal is for you to hear each other, it shouldn't be a concurrent shout out. Otherwise you'll never lock in together as a rhythym section.
Quote by Arlabester
no. becuase im bass retarded, and i dont know what amp will be good or not.

Here's a tip. Read the reviews, check the well known brands, and have a look at the companies customer service policies. It's no different than looking for a new guitar amp.
Quote by anarkee
^please tell me your not making him play bass because you need a bass player!

no. well partially. hes my best friend, he has been since second grade, so we decided to pick him up when he started playing. we also liked the fact he basically got riffs instead of straight basslines.
The Fender Rumble Series is a good place to look for an amp. I'm pretty sure they have a 100 watt. Behringer would be a risk but you can get 180w for pretty cheap.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
The Fender Rumble Series is a good place to look for an amp. I'm pretty sure they have a 100 watt. Behringer would be a risk but you can get 180w for pretty cheap.

I wouldn't recommend a Behringer even for the price. If you need some good reasons, read John Swift's recent post on Berhringer, its worth the search. I'd avoid Line 6 gear for the same reasons.
well whatevever gets him over the drummer.

thanks guys.

what would get him over for practice situations?
^over the drummer? When my resident drummer and I jam, I can get away with a 35 - 50 watt amp. We don't usually play with a guitarist, so you would have to factor that in as well. I have managed with a 15 watt amp, but I have had to crank it a bit to be heard over the toms and the bass drum, with my spouse hanging back a bit on the attack.
What really matters is the power of your drummers kick my drummer has one of the hardest kick I've ever heard like Neil Peart style kick. That's when you need the little extra that a 100 watt will give you. Either way I would say 60 watts will get you by. 100 watts will get you comfortable.
He should definetly get a better amp because a bad bass amp won't make a good bass sound nice, while a bad bass will sound okay through a good amp. In regards of the amp, he should check out anything around 50 Watts or higher if he wants to compete with a guitarists or drummers (Especially in metal). A good amp company would be Crate or Fender, however Crate is cheaper (I think) so I would go for them.

Also, he should make it a priority to get a new bass as soon as possible because it would widen his tonal options (Such as cutting through a mix or blending in), especially with a new amp.
Maybe he should look for gear himself... that way he can customize it to how he likes it.

Seeing as how you're a guitarist that is admittedly "bass retarded," I think he should find his own gear if he is to continue with the instrument.