I've never really changed my pickups before, so I need some advice. I have an ibanez rgex5 which has a set of inf3, infs3, and inf4 pickups. I don't know how to tell good pick-ups from bad ones, so can you guys help me find some descent pickups for my guitar?
Depends on how much you want to pay. If you have a low budget look at GFS pickups, Golden age pickups or Swinesheads. Ive heard good things about them. All UK based tho.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
it depends on what sounds you like and what price you will like to pay.
go cowboys
How much do high end pickups cost anyway? I like to play everything from blues to death metal, but I guess I would be looking for something on the heavier side. I need links though, cuz I suck at picking.
Quote by super_duper
I need links, cuz I suck at picking. How much do high end pickups cost anyway?

anything from £70 each.

www.guitarfetish.com

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Golden_Age_Pickups.html

All the above are cheaper but, Ive been told are good pickups.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

well I had the same pickups you had and replaced them with Dimarzio Evolutions... not yet in the bridge tho.

Dont know what kinda tone ure looking for tho
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
well I had the same pickups you had and replaced them with Dimarzio Evolutions... not yet in the bridge tho.

Dont know what kinda tone ure looking for tho

Something to play hardrock and metal on. I want to replace all 3.
Quote by Lordoflax
Depends on how much you want to pay. If you have a low budget look at GFS pickups, Golden age pickups or Swinesheads. Ive heard good things about them. All UK based tho.

GFS are made in boston, and i think golden age are made somewhere in the US too
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
K, so can somebody give me some specific links to some pickups that would fit my guitar and be suited for classic rock/metal?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeaaah...If you're looking for an improvement in tone...I wouldn't look towards new pickups. I'd look for a new amp. You're playing through a PA, my friend.
And an amp is 80% of your tone.

Damn, I knew it was the amp...

any suggestions for a new amp, cuz im a noob at those too.
Last edited by super_duper at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, what's your budget? And which is more important, classic rock, or metal? They're pretty different tones.

Metal. I have a podxt, so It doesnt have to have alot of effects and shit. I'm looking at about $300 bucks probably, maybe a little more.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Valvekings tend to be a hit or miss with people here. I've never tried one, my shop doesn't carry many Peavey amps.
Perhaps this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043

Hmm, I like this. Do you think it would be a wise choice to sell my podxt and buy this instead? They're both $400 so I wouldn't have to pay anything. My pod has a lot of nice features though, but $400 is a lot of money.
iI've never used a PodXT. My assumption is that it's a digital modeling FX unit, though, right? If you don't got the cash, the Ashdown has a bunch of built in FX, so I guess it would be a good trade. Don't expect to get 400 exactly for the Pod, though.
Here's some reviews, to help ya make your decision. Seems pretty positive.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ashdown/FA-40+Fallen+Angel/10/1
Quote by RHCPfan01
GFS are made in boston, and i think golden age are made somewhere in the US too

yes sorry I was rushing so I miss thought

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!