Page 1 of 2
Well, considering i'm set; a tube amp, a nice guitar with bkps, and some strap locks (-_-).

I'm looking into coloring my tone a bit more. I'm a bit of a beginner considering I have no clue what pedals to use, etc.

From my cube 30, I really liked the reverb and delay effects (really cleaned up my playing too ). Also, I loved playing with the flanger and chorus effects also---and I have a wah, so no need for that.

I've also been directed into getting a new OD Pedal also.

My question is, What do you think I should get...from first to last, from majorly important to...well, important and please leave models, company ,etc.

Thank you.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
...silly me.

I play blues here and there, but I mostly play classic and hard rock.

I'm not too sure if my orange has an effects loop, will that be a problem?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Bump.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
An EQ Pedal. Boss GE7 EQ maybe? <--- most important pedal there is
Fulltone OCD Overdrive <---- awesome OD
Boss DD6 Digital Delay <---- good delay

I've never been a big fan of chorus or flange or anything like that so I have no idea as far as those go.
I'm for sure getting the OCD, i've heard it and it sounds amazing. Thanks for the help!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
boss usually handles the effects such as chorus/flange/delay. I'd definatly look into an EQ pedal and a overdrive first. I'd suggest checking out Guitar Center and testing out a ton of pedals and see what sounds you like. For Delay, DD6 from Boss, Boss has good flanger and chorus pedals too, but i havn'et had much experience outside of guitar center with them.
I'm a fan of the Boss SD-1. Great pedal. A Boss delay (DD-6 or DD-3), and for chorus, check out the MXR Stereo Chorus.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by Jinskee
I'm for sure getting the OCD, i've heard it and it sounds amazing. Thanks for the help!

The OCD + Rocker 30's gotta give a kickass sound.
If you want reverb get a holy grail pedal. Excellent reverb pedal and cheap at that. It also has a flanger/reverb effect on it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^But I hear it gives off unneccessary noise when you're playing with an amp with no FX loop?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
MXR phase90, Fulltone OCD and an EQ. Maybe a fuzz if you're into hendrixy stuff. Either way your setup is looking sweeter by the day.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
You like classic rock and have a sweetheat amp, so go analog with your effects. Don't digital up a good thing!

Get yourself the Deluxe Memory Man. It'll become your favorite pedal in a matter of minutes. Also serves as a Chorus/Tremelo pedal. Don't be afraid of the cost, just get it.

Overdrives are a matter of taste, and there's so many to choose from. I like my TS808 a lot but this is a pedal you should research heavily on your own, as you'll be using it a lot. Get a good one, though. This is no pedal to cheese on.

Get a fuzzbox, too. I just got a ZVex Fuzz Factory mailed to the house. Still need to do some serious playing with it, but I like it so far on just the basic settings. A tried and true NYC Big Muff is always a good way to go, though.

Interested in a wah? Vox 847 or 848. Guitar should be fun, and a wah makes it more fun.

I run an Electric Mistress for a flanger, these and phasers are kinda up to you. Will you really put them to use? I just dig playing with sounds, so I like having it to play with. Great for 60's psych type stuff.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee
^But I hear it gives off unneccessary noise when you're playing with an amp with no FX loop?

someone said that with all EHX pedals. none have given me any, cept my big muff, but thats there on purpose.
O.O, thanks slats :P.

Quote by Arlabester
someone said that with all EHX pedals. none have given me any, cept my big muff, but thats there on purpose.

Yeah, I've been hearing people complain about that alot. I also find it quite strange that everyone here reccomends reverb holy grail while other people detest it on review sites...guess that says alot.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
The only thing that people complain about EHX pedals are reliability.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The only thing that people complain about EHX pedals are reliability.

i dont have a reliability issue either. i think some people just get duds.
Quote by Arlabester
i say.

MXR EQ
Ibanez TS808
some sort of MXR Flanger

If you can find a used DOD FX75b Flanger. Best $23 I ever spent on a flanger. Great sound.

Also: on a side note, i got a Turbo RAT for 10 bucks at a garage sale, and a ED-1 Marshall Compressor for $40 at that same flea market. They are great places to buy pedals (Volume pedal MIA for $30, FTW)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
MXR Dyna-Comp u'll need.
at least some kind of compressor
its really useful
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I was also thinking an ISP decimator would help...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Frankly, I think the only effects you really need are EQ, wah, delay, reverb, and OD. Then again a noise gate might help if you have trouble with it. Actually that's going a little overboard. I only have an OD, EQ, and Wah
^Haha, well, sounds good. I don't want to go overboard considering...well, I'm broke.

Can you explain the why the EQ is so necessary?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^Haha, well, sounds good. I don't want to go overboard considering...well, I'm broke.

Can you explain the why the EQ is so necessary?

EQ is godly. They shape your sound more than anything else. Basically they give you tons of versatility. Not to mention good ones have a level adjustment so you can use them like a boost too.
get a boss delay, digitech distortion, and a phase shifter those are fun
Quote by Jongpil Yun
EQ is godly. They shape your sound more than anything else. Basically they give you tons of versatility. Not to mention good ones have a level adjustment so you can use them like a boost too.

So that actually means I can shape my natural tone for my orange? (The natural tone doesn't have an EQ)

I guess that does sound pretty useful. You recommend the MXR?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
So that actually means I can shape my natural tone for my orange? (The natural tone doesn't have an EQ)

I guess that does sound pretty useful. You recommend the MXR?

Never used the MXR (I have a Boss GE7) but it's a 10 band EQ so it's probably better, if it's not noisy that is.
Quote by Jinskee
O.O, thanks slats :P.

Glad to help, I'm a pedal junkie!

So at first, I was a little disappointed with the Fuzz Factory, so I did something clever: I changed the battery.

Now, Holy #&^@!!! this freakin' pedal screams! I had to wrap it up, because I have to go to work, but what a total blast that thing is! All sorts of different fuzz, and every flavor of feedback under the sun to be dialed in at your leisure. Way too cool.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^, I'll keep that in mind.

But guys...my amp doesn't have an FX Loop...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/soapbox/article.php?articleID=5

Quoth this dude,

"Rack mounted effects are best suited to use the effects loop function on an amplifier. I have known people who connect their pedals through the effects loop, but I fail to understand why they do this. You want to have your pedal in front of you when you are playing. You can simply run your guitar straight through the pedals and into the amplifiers guitar input. It you run them through the effects loop you would need to have one guitar cable running to the effects loop in and another cable running to the effects loop out. This is an extra cable you have to buy and another trip hazard on an already cluttered stage floor. Most people have their amp behind them up to 10 or more feet away. That would mean that you would need at least three ten foot or longer cables to hook up a system this way. One for the guitar to the amplifier and two to do the effects loop function. Keep it simple and only use the effects loop if it is efficient.
Gary Allen"
Last edited by Jongpil Yun at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee

A loop is a nice thing to have, but you're going to put the OD, fuzz, and wah between your guitar and amp, anyway. That's another reason why I say get the Memory Man. If you have just one modulation effect in your chain, that's the one to have.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Wow, pretty informative, thank you for that!

Sounds reassuring then. One more question though...When people say, "You should put your reverb AT THE END OF YOUR CHAIN." Where exactly would that be...if you were to draw a diagram on it. (trying to avoid smart remarks, haha)

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
At the end would be, after everything else, right before the amp. Because you don't want to be adding distortion or wah or phasing the reverb sound. Similarly, put the delay pedal at the end too.
Cheers everyone.

Well, I've come to a decision that was pretty difficult to make. I've decided to sell my dimebag wah out and save up for other gear that'll color my tone a bit better than a wah would. Honestly, I didn't find the wah to be that...well, satisying. Pretty sad, too.

But If I do sell it and I save up something, what would you all reccomend i got FIRST?

I've been thinkign I should get the OCD and maybe the other coloring tone eventually later; reverb and delay are on my top list.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I have been using a marshall blues breaker 2 and get a superb angus sound. In fact its my favorite pedal now. Its affordable, has good power, if you play blues this will fit your budget.
Page 1 of 2