Sorry about asking this, but I'm a bit desperate. How can I get a good ska-guitar (i.e. Reel Big Fish or Streetlight Manifesto) tone out of my guitar? I've tried messing with the settings on my amp and such, but I can't seem to acquire the tone. I have a Jay Turser guitar which is basically an exact copy of Fender's Stratocaster. Can anyone help me?
I suppose it depends on your amp really but I manage just fine with slight distortion or plugged in electric but clean. Mostly, if you're playing ska chords to a ska rhythm, that'll sound just find.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
When i played in a ska band, I used a roland jc80, you can pick them up on ebay for dirt cheap, but they went out of production a couple months ago so they will probably go up in price. And for guitar, Get a Fender fat Strat , and split the humbucker and you should be good for life.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
When i played in a ska band, I used a roland jc80, you can pick them up on ebay for dirt cheap, but they went out of production a couple months ago so they will probably go up in price. And for guitar, Get a Fender fat Strat , and split the humbucker and you should be good for life.

Hmm, it looks strikingly like the standard Strat. So you're saying that the humbuckers make a huge difference, basically?
Quote by Hergiswi
Hmm, it looks strikingly like the standard Strat. So you're saying that the humbuckers make a huge difference, basically?

itll kill the home and sound a bit crunchier.

btw, it is a std strat. with just a HB
You're basically going to need alot of mids, quite alot of treble and not a great deal of bass.

Alot of ska playing is in how you play it though, that's why ska sounds awesome on acoustic guitars too. Get that jaunty stop start thing going and you're good.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
up strokes, barrechords, get enough percussive sounds, and treble around 9,mids 7-8, bass 5... same goes for reggae and some funk

oh and distortion around two...and use your brightest pickup (neck?)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Feb 20, 2007,
ok ok.... wait..... someone tell me what Ska is. I want to know. I have no idea except it's a form of Emo from what I heard. Blah...
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by guitarrocka205
ok ok.... wait..... someone tell me what Ska is. I want to know. I have no idea except it's a form of Emo from what I heard. Blah...

who ever told you ska is emo is ****ing retarded

anyway its basically a form of punk with a horn section, that originated in jamaica
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
who ever told you ska is emo is ****ing retarded

anyway its basically a form of punk with a horn section, that originated in jamaica

Ska has been around much longer than punk. Its hard to know for sure but most people believe it comes from a mixture of jazz and Jamaican music. It didn't really get associated with punk until two tone/ second wave ska when a lot of the people who were into punk switched to over to ska. Third wave is the only wave of ska (there are 3) that is purposefully combined with punk and it also happens to be my least favorite.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I do belive the band 'Cake' plays ska, maybe check them out. I'm not sure, but I think Sublime too? I haven't listened to either of the bands in a long time.
sublime isnt really ska... but cake is... and well i know mainly bout second and third wave... ill look into finding about the first wave
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...