Alright, so I want someone to check out my proposed set-up. There are no pedals or effects... All amp plugs have Hum-X AC adaptors... thats it. Im not sure what we will be using for production, and I'm sure more will be added by the time we get to doing some real recordings. Would this be useable as a live setup, and possibly a basic studio setup?

Last edited by ahhhh! at Feb 19, 2007,
ya but you have to run some power to the mixer if you want to amplify it to a PA and the mixer to some kind of recording device like a direct box or sound card on your comp......
OK, so could i switch the YENYX with a 4 input power mixer, and put the YENYX with the drums and the ambiance mic? So this would work for live setup?

Alternatively, could I use the power mixer to boost the signal, then return it to the Behringer for USB connection to the laptop?
I personally like running the drum mics to their own mixer and then running that into the main mixer. That way the drummer can fiddle with their levels all by themselves.

Also,

I find it easier to record things separately rather than all together that way you can tweak them as you go along and it doesn't require as much time to setup and break down.

IE, setup for the guitars, take the tracks, set up for the bass, take the tracks, set up for the drums, take the tracks, etc.

then you tweak the tracks before you mix them all together.

That way you get the most functionality and you don't have to worry about screwing up and having to restart the entire take with the entire band.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Feb 20, 2007,
^ +184357543

For live shows:

Chances are, you wont need to mic the drums. MAYBE the kick drum if the PA has good subs...other then that the only thing you should be mic'ing is the guitars/vox/bass.

For recording:

Just basically what Genocide said. Recording with separate tracks is easier, IMO.
1. As stated above - for recording you almost never going to want to record all the instruments except for possibly a scratch track at the begginning. After that I would almost NEVER recommend recording everyone at the same time.
2. I would recommend switching the AKG and Nady mics out for recording the snare and guitars, and replacing them with Shure SM57's - can't go wrong with them.
3. What size gigs are you doing? Because the size of the gig dictates what needs to be mic'ed and what doesn't.
4. I am slightly curious as to why you are worrying about getting your own mixer if you are just not going to do anything complicated with it. I mean you say you are gonna run the outs from the mixer to the PA. Well if the gig has a PA then they generally have a mixer, and it would generally just be easier to just plug right into theirs, instead of hooking up the speakers to your mixer. Also that is another piece of gear you need to cart around. I mean I would understand if you wanted a a seperate mixer for monitor mixes, or so the drummer can adjust his own mixes (so your last diagrams that have the drums running to a seperate mixer might be a good idea) but I wouldn't worry yourself about a mixer for all of the instruments, since the venue should have one of their own, and if it is a nice venue it will be much nice then the Behringer one. They also occasionally have some nice rack gear which you would not be able to utilize with your own mixer.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

1. Exactly... paying about $900 to be able to play outdoors and in poor quality gigs (the only ones highschool bands can get), and be able to record jams and practice seems like a fair price... We can't borrow equipment forever.

2. All mics are being considered... I really liked the sound of the D900s .. and they are on sale at the moment, but thats still up in the air.

3. I'm actually mainly a drummer, and just play guitar on the side... So even if we dont use it too often, I can keep it forever. The gigs we will play during the school year will be mostly at an outings assosiation building, which is roughly the size of a minor hockey arena.

4. I suppose... For recording, we need a power mixer.. and to get one with a good amount of inputs is very costly, so If we can get one un-powered for cheap, then hook up to the powered just to get the signal strength it should work right?