Page 1 of 3
Decided we ought to have a Desert Rock thread, on the offchance it might get some replies. So yeah, Kyuss, earlier QOTSA and Yawning Man kick serious arse, although I'm not really up on many of the others.

Also, Stoner Rock may as well be discussed too, as they're pretty closely related.

Bring on the stoners!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Yeah. Rock from the desert. Apparently only I've heard of it. It started out with bands driving their friends out to the desert, getting stoned and jamming 'til dawn.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I think you've made that term up. Just because Josh Homme recorded some albums out there doesn't mean it's automatically a genre.
Dude? It's a real genre. Go to Wikipedia and see. It's an offshoot of Stoner Rock.

Plus, Josh Homme had nothing to do with Yawning Man, who basically started the thing.

Next time I've got a free minute I am so writing a UG article on this now...

Apart from the first Queens album and some Kyuss, I'm pretty ignorant of this genre.

Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley are awesome albums, though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
just because it's on wiekpeitka (sp) doens't make it true. it's a page where members can edit what ever they want on a page.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by P.B.
just because it's on wiekpeitka (sp) doens't make it true. it's a page where members can edit what ever they want on a page.

Thank you, I am well aware of what a wiki is. The fact remains that Desert Rock is a real genre and/or scene, I simply referenced Wikipedia to make the point that I am not the only one who has heard of Desert Rock, nor did I make the phrase up.

This isn't working out how I planned...

Desert Rock is REAL. Not only was it concieved in the desert (Josh Homme's Desert Sessions), you can hear a dryness in the sound. When I heard Queens of the Stone Age for the first time, I imagined driving a 57' Chevy convertable through the desert with sand spinning from under my tires...and that is even BEFORE I heard the term Desert Rock. You can hear it in Eagles of Death Metal. You can hear it in Kyuss. It's more of a sound to me than where it was made. Listen to Song for the Dead from Songs for the Deaf and try to tell me that it doesn't bring an orange sunset and sweat into you imagination.

Anyway, any genre can e real as long as the term is coined. Some of you are a bunch of elitists who have no open mind.
^^Thanks man.

No problem...actually when I first heard the term Desert Rock, I thought it was because of the dryness in the sound only to find out that it is called that because of the location.
Lol, that's cool. You ever heard any Desert Rock bands like Fu Manchu or Masters of Reality? I've been wondering if they're worth checking out.

There was a thread before on this...

Desert rock kicks ass. There's just so much great records from that group of bands. Fu Manchu and Masters of Reality are well worth checking out, but my favourite desert stuff (after Kyuss obviously) is Brant Bjork's solo records.
^^I did a search, and nothing much came up. At least I think I did a search...

Anyway, yeah, I only found out yesterday that Brant Bjork had done any solo stuff. I promptly creamed myself, of course...

EDIT:
Quote by DownInAHole.
Desert Rock is cool to me.....a little different, but I like it.

Indeed. I always think it's a bit like Grunge in some ways, but totally different in others... I actually think that if Grunge hadn't broke into mainstream first then something like Desert Rock might've done instead.

Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Feb 23, 2007,
Ah well you'd better order Brant Bjork and the Bros album Saved By Magic then! They'll be back in England soon enough so make sure you catch him live. It's like Kyuss/Fu Manchu crossed with Hendrix. Seriously.
I dig QotSA and I've heard some Kyuss but other than that I'm completely new to this stuff.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
^^Yeah, I've heard lots of people saying that Tool are similar to Kyuss. I don't see it myself, but what the hell.

I'm hoping to see Brant Bjork when he comes round here again. I've got a mate who creamed himself equally when I told him about Brant's solo stuff, so we're right on track, hopefully

Quote by Patches McGee
I dig QotSA and I've heard some Kyuss but other than that I'm completely new to this stuff.

Well check some out! The first Kyuss album I bought was Blues for the Red Sun, but Welcome to the Sky Valley is generally seen as the best one of theirs. I got in to Blues for the Red Sun instantly, so I think either's a good place to start from

Fucking Kyuss. Can't beat them. [/doesnt have anything new to contribute]
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I certainly agree with what you guys said about grunge. There is a definate connection there. Desert Rock is more technical grunge to me. More lead parts and stuff...
It appears as if I have a new favorite thread!

Kyuss is easily my all time favorite band. I really can't imagine anything that can be as heavy and soulful at the same time. They're just brilliant.

Quote by smb
Ah well you'd better order Brant Bjork and the Bros album Saved By Magic then! They'll be back in England soon enough so make sure you catch him live. It's like Kyuss/Fu Manchu crossed with Hendrix. Seriously.

I listened to Jalamanta today for about the 1000th time. Brant Bjork is a God.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live, though.

Quote by Strat_Monkey
Well check some out! The first Kyuss album I bought was Blues for the Red Sun, but Welcome to the Sky Valley is generally seen as the best one of theirs. I got in to Blues for the Red Sun instantly, so I think either's a good place to start from

I first heard Welcome to Sky Valley, and was instantly hooked. The first time I listened to it, I was completely amazed at the end, and immediately listened to it again.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Last edited by bigwillie at Feb 24, 2007,
^^Cool

So can any of you veterans recommend the n00bs (including me) some other Desert Rock bands? I'm already into Kyuss, QotSA, and EoDM (who aren't strictly very Desert Rock, but what the hell), I've heard a fair bit of Yawning Man and Brant Bjork's now at the top of my "Albums I Really Must Buy" list. Next?

I don't think they're branded Desert Rock but Chore are really awesome and they have that same type of sound.
Songs like The Hitchhiker, The Wall Burns, General Warning, Dog in the Manger and Aloha are brilliant. They are possibly the most unnapreciated band ever!!
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
You should definitely try a band called Karma to Burn. They're entirely instrumental, and are centered mostly around heavy guitar riffs. They're amazing.

I recommend you try "Almost Heathen" or "Wild, Wonderful Purgatory."

EDIT: Oh yeah, Nebula! They're composed of nothing but ex-Fu Manchu members, and sound like a more psychedelic Fu Manchu. Try "To the Center."
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

You guys are dumbasses. If you don't know what the desert rock scene is then you are therefore not a true stoner and should listen to your shitty lil' QOTSA, mkay?

I love desert rock! Fu Manchu, The Obsessed, Kyuss, Orange Goblin...
Quote by HavenSake
You guys are dumbasses. If you don't know what the desert rock scene is then you are therefore not a true stoner and should listen to your shitty lil' QOTSA, mkay?

You don't have to be an elitist dick. Just because people may be unaware of less popular genre doesn't make them a "dumbass."

And QOTSA doesn't suck.

I'm listening to "Time Traveling Blues" by Orange Goblin as I type this.

Just got done listening to "Busse Woods" by Acid King. Another recommended album.

Quote by HavenSake

I'm not a stoner, but mainly because I can't afford it. You can listen to Desert Rock without being stoned, y'know?

Quote by bigwillie
I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live, though.

I first heard Welcome to Sky Valley, and was instantly hooked. The first time I listened to it, I was completely amazed at the end, and immediately listened to it again.

You should see BB, you really should. Hang around in the bar afterwards and talk to him too - he's a great guy.

I remember the first time I listened to Sky Valley too - it was life changing record. I already had Circus and listened to it loads, and I mentioned Kyuss to a guy who worked at the place I was doing work experience (it was probably 2002 or thereabouts). Listened to it on headphones as I walked into town and I just wondered down the middle of the road oblivious to the cars etc. I headed to the nearest record shop and bought Blues for the Red Sun and then I went and got drunk. There's something about that album. It sounds just how I'd always wanted music to be.
Guys I was just kidding! QOTSA isn't that bad. They're better than anything else on the radio these days, I'll give 'em that.
Kyuss ****ing kickass. 50 million year trip is the best stonerist song ever. THAT SONG IS THE EQUILIVLANT OF A BAD ACID TRIP. welcome... is a great stonish album because of the long songs and all the atmospheric ( like looking up into a blue sky watching clouds feeling) effect on you
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by smb
You should see BB, you really should. Hang around in the bar afterwards and talk to him too - he's a great guy.

Where is he touring currently? I read he was touring South America this summer, but I m by be mistaken. Anyway, I really want to see BB live. Even from the videos I've seen on the internet, it seems like a religious experience.

Quote by HavenSake

I know this is a bit late, but I have been elsewhere for a bit. I also know he apologized and all that, but I think that some people forget that QOTSA and Kyuss are essentially the same band. To say you love Kyuss and that QOTSA are shitty is like saying, I don't know, that you love beans, but hate all legumes. Or you hate all fruit, but love apples. Josh Homme made both bands.
-------------
Fender Jaguar Special HH
Galveston Hollow Body Arch Top Electric Guitar
Delta Nashville TN LP Copy
Dean Acoustic
1969 Fender Bassman Amp
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EH Small Stone Phaser
Quote by Strings_Maniac
I know this is a bit late, but I have been elsewhere for a bit. I also know he apologized and all that, but I think that some people forget that QOTSA and Kyuss are essentially the same band. To say you love Kyuss and that QOTSA are shitty is like saying, I don't know, that you love beans, but hate all legumes. Or you hate all fruit, but love apples. Josh Homme made both bands.

But they're two really different bands. I love them both, but when you compare them side by side, I can see how someone could like one and dislike the other.

Well, I could never see how someone could dislike QOTSA or Kyuss, but I can see that some might see a difference.

Oh, and on the subject of Brant Bjork, has anyone seen "Sabbia" yet?

Yeah I've got Sabbia. It's fantastic to relax in front of. There's some new music by Brant and there's a great drum solo too, all set to images of the desert. You see Brant a few times in it, smoking a joint in his house, jamming with his band outside and taking a walk to the store to get some beer. It's well worth getting.

Kyuss and QotSA are very different! I much prefer John Garcia's singing to Josh's but that isn't to say I don't like Queens. The first two QotSA albums are the best by far though. BB's drumming on Blues and Sky Valley is fantastic, and I love Scott Reeder's bass on Sky Valley and Circus. Nick Oliveri is much better on Rated R and Songs for the Deaf than he was on Blues for the Red Sun, but his tone on Blues is great. All in all Kyuss wins it for me.
Also been away a long time.... Listening to 'karma to burn' right now on their myspace. Tried downloading off limewire but was hard to get. Sounds good, i like, especially 'one'. They would be great if they had a good singer (or even a poor one ).

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Just buy Almost Heathen then. They don't need a singer really - songs like 34 and 5 and 19 are really expressive anyway. It's a shame they never got to record and release the album they were going to do with John Garcia. Karma's drummer appears on Nick Oliveri's band Mondo Generator's first album Cocaine Rodeo (along with Homme, Bjork and some backing vocals by Goss and Garcia) so if you want to hear him working with a singer albeit in a much punkier format give that a listen!
i think i've heard mondo generator. do they have a song called green machine or am i mixing them up with something else?

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Green Machine is a Kyuss song. Mondo Generator is a band Nick Oliveri started before he joined Queens of the Stone Age. Now he's not in QotSA it is his main band. Mondo Generator got the name from graffiti Brant Bjork sprayed on the side of Nick's bass amp (the one that's in the photo in the liner notes for Blues for the Red Sun) and there is a Kyuss song of the same name.
Page 1 of 3