I've wanted to learn chords higher up the neck for a while now, but all i know is barre chords. Will someone give me some pointers to learn a few of these chords? Will someone but a few of these chords in code for me? thanks

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
past the twelfth fret you're just gonna be playing the same thing, so open chord shapes are actually limited to fret 11. take a look at some of john mayers stuff - he uses a whole bunch of weird chord voicings high up on the neck
Barre chords work anywhere, just move the same fingerings you know up. It's especially easy if you only use the top 3 or 4 strings since playing the E string on the 21st fret is pretty difficult.

Here are a few shapes, you prolly know some of em already -

E Shape

e--7
B--7
G--8
D--9

A Shape

e--7
B--9
G--9
D--9

D Shape

e--7
B--8
G--7
D--5 or 9

These also work for minor chords, sus chords etc.

Fool around with them, you'll start noticing how they sound compared to open chords, similar and dissimilar
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Playing all the basic chords up an octave, past the twelfth, is easy as hell. But it sounds nice.
Well pretty much all barre chords do is enable you to use all the strings for that chord/key. You can do partial chords or just chords without barring, but its no different than barring, unless you didn't want to strum all the strings. Say you only want to strum 3 or 4 strings then only fret those 3 or 4 that you want to strum. Y'kno? lol
i beleive C7 on the 5th fret is an E chord, right? I wanna know stuff like that, i just dont know where to start. What other chords can i play (smilar to C7) higher up on the neck? Like in purple haze - hendrix, i dont recall the name of the chord, but there is a fancy one up there too. The same chord is also used in Outside Women Blues - cream. I hope im making sense...

By the way, I know my barre chords.
Quote by 812many
i beleive C7 on the 5th fret is an E chord, right? I wanna know stuff like that, i just dont know where to start. What other chords can i play (smilar to C7) higher up on the neck? Like in purple haze - hendrix, i dont recall the name of the chord, but there is a fancy one up there too. The same chord is also used in Outside Women Blues - cream. I hope im making sense...

By the way, I know my barre chords.

It's an E7...see "Born on the Bayou" by CCR.

Wish I knew more about this stuff...
Quote by 812many
Like in purple haze - hendrix, i dont recall the name of the chord, but there is a fancy one up there too. .

Do you mean the 7#9 chord? In Purple Haze, Hendrix uses an E7#9 chord:

--
-8-
-7-
-6-
-7-
--

Move that chord up and down the fretboard, it sounds great in blues.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

Quote by Morgy
Do you mean the 7#9 chord? In Purple Haze, Hendrix uses an E7#9 chord:

--
-8-
-7-
-6-
-7-
--

Move that chord up and down the fretboard, it sounds great in blues.

yea, yea. now, more chords similar to that please? Wow, this is the suckiest thread ever to enter Musician Talk. I'm sorry everyone. , im just desperatley trying to learn some fancy chords to play in blues/ rock n roll.
just have a fiddle around with basic chord shapes and moving them around the neck.

for example, take the bottom four notes of the basic F major chord barred at the first fret. leaving the top two strings open, move that shape up to say, the 5th, 7th or 8th fret.

at least in my experience, that sounds cool.

of course, you have to take a whole different approach past the 12 fret, as its practically impossible to barre.

what i do with chords past there is just play the higher strings, as it sounds slightly muddy (and just plain bad in general) if you find a way of playing the bottom strings too without mangling your fingers.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by 812many
yea, yea. now, more chords similar to that please?

Ok, here's some more that i like:

A 9 chord - here's an E9, again, you can move the shape up and down the fretboard. This sounds cool with funk music:
-7-
-7-
-7-
-6-
-7-
---

Also, if you want to play chords higher up the neck, you should really use open strings too. Use this shape:

-0-
-0-
-4-
-5-
-5-
-3-

That's a G6 chord. But, moving that shape up sounds great. Here's what all the different positions of that shape will give you (well, only the ones that sound good):

3rd fret- G6 (like a showed you)
5th fret - Aadd9
7th fret - Badd11
8th fret - Cmaj7
10th fret - D6/9

By 5th fret etc, i mean have your first finger on the low E string for that shape ^^ Then move it to those corresponding frets. Hopefully you understand, if not, let me know and i'll explain it better.

EDIT: o yeah, another position that that shape works with is the 2nd fret - that gives you an F#7add11. Even at the 1st fret it sounds good, giving you a Fmaj7#11.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

Last edited by Morgy at Feb 21, 2007,