As I was poking around Guitar Center looking for a new strat, I noticed almost every single strat (including most of the American strats) had either very or somewhat sharp frets. I then ran my hand along the neck of the cheapest Epiphones and Gibsons and all their frets were smooth as butter. One of the employees stated that they can't control the humidity in the main room of the store, and that causes some of the necks to change and the frets to stick out a bit. While I believe that is true to a small extent, I still can;t get past why all the strat frets are sharp! I'm dissappointed in Fender.
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
I'm of the opinion that Fender QC is at about the same level as Gibson's .

Of course, Guitar Center does have a habit of crappifying their guitars.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
hate strats....they are emo guitars...they cut you when you slide up and down
[/spam]

Freeze...WTF?
Member #1 of the I Poker club. PM Highvoltage45 to join.
The binding might have something to do with it. I like the fender neck. I think it could be a bit thinner, but i like it, and i think the frets are fine. The frets on gibson and fender are just different. maybe its that gibson frets are so large that the sharpness seems less.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
hmmm i've never noticed that on my dad's strat
but the ones on my explorer neck are a lot better than strat ones
My Peavey Raptor EXP has sorta sharp frets.. I plan on sanding them down sometime..
1. fender QC is much better than gibson's.

2. fender is not an emo guitar company.

3. it depends on the guitar, mine's fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
My mate's Strat has a great neck and it's a MiM.

Besides, it's partly up to the guitar shop to do QC of their own too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by tubab0y
2. fender is not an emo guitar company.

I belive he was joking because the frets were being called sharp
It's fret sprout, caused by the wood in the neck contracting due to difference in atmosphere.

Just needs a setup to fix.
Quote by musicmydrug16

are you really unlucky when it comes to playing strats?

or was that supposed to be a joke?

Could also be to do with the strings. The frets on my 3 fenders (well actually 2 are squiers but meh) are okay. This is probably guitar center messing them up, although every now and again there will be some badly fretted guitars that leave any factory. It's not just fender.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Fender guitars seem to be made much more nicely than the Gibson guitars. Anywho, Fender frets seem much nicer to me than Gibson frets... I always notice how brutal and sharp Gibson frets are... strange!
Quote by musicmydrug16

wow you are very immature cause all emotional people cut themselves........not why dont you go find someone else to sterotype like all classic rock people wear led zeppelin shirts.........
**** NO!!! played a number of Strats, from standards to Americans to a custom my mate owns and their necks are great, the frets dont stick out and are extremely smooth!!

The employee is right about humidity control, which is why at a gig you leave the guitars onstage in order not to warp the neck when you come from the cold backstage. In either case you wouldnt buy a guitar from a place where they cannot sustain a temperature which does dammage to instruments.

In regards to quality, its a tough one and a mater of opinion,

Gibson quality is excellent however some things slip through,

Fender quality control are also excellent however may just be slightly better than that of Gibson but this is only noticable on their upper range models, due to Gibson not selling lower range models you have to compare Fender budget range to Epiphone where Fender quality is'nt so good!!
Lyrics, Wasted Time between solos!!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender Standard Strat
Line 6 Flextone II
Boss GT6
Jim Dunlop Wah
i have MIA strat and a tele, both from new, never had this problem.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix