Hi all. My friend wants to start playing and he likes blues, jazz, rock and metal. So a versatile amp is needed. I narrowed down the list to a few good small amps I've seen.

Roland Cube 20x
Roland MicroCube
Hughes and Kettner 15w Blue
Vox valvetronix 15

His budget is kind of tight but I did manage to get him a nice deal on a used (less than a year) Gibson SG and a gigbag all for $400. So which amp is best for the value?
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
**** them crate crate crate crate is the best i play all types of music and it never fails it gives kick ass distortion with a sweet clean but of you want a choice of thos the microcube would be the best
vox.
IMO
I want you vincent745!

member #5 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
also, if you have
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat
3 tone burst, white pearloid pickguard, gold hardware
Stephens Design Custom Wound Mojo '64 pickups

Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Halfback Cabinet MC90/EV200w

You should have some idea about decent gear....
I want you vincent745!

member #5 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Quote by warriorde52
**** them crate crate crate crate is the best i play all types of music and it never fails it gives kick ass distortion with a sweet clean but of you want a choice of thos the microcube would be the best

wow...
small crates are okay for practice and bedroom level playing, but i wouldn't go that far. i like the sound of a vox ad, even though it is quite a marketing scam.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The Vox and Cube are right around equal in terms of sound quality -- the Vox has marginally better cleans, the Cube has marginally better distortion. The Cube is also smaller and has a better effects setup, though.

I'd go with a Cube 30. Never heard of the H&K though.
I'M NOT SAYING HE SHOULD GET A CRATE, but I know whats coming and a lot of people are probably gonna trash crate.

IMO the only good Crates are the more expensive ones. However most Crates are very versitel. He could get like a 1x12 or 2x12 crate combo, which comes with a lot of effects. I myself own an older Crate [G40C-XL] Its a great amp if to play through with a good processor, but thats it.

But the two best things for him to do is to try a bunch, or get one that has a nice clean bass [as in platform] to work off of, and then get a kick-A processor. And going used would also be good for his first amp.

Also, you didn't mention them, but don't let anyone talk you into a berringher. There guitar amps are a good price, but a lot of people seem to have problems with them.
Quote by Robert_Terry
also, if you have
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat
3 tone burst, white pearloid pickguard, gold hardware
Stephens Design Custom Wound Mojo '64 pickups

Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Halfback Cabinet MC90/EV200w

You should have some idea about decent gear....

Indeed I do. Thats how I narrowed down the list from over 100 amps in his price range to 4 I think will be best. I haven't played all the amps I listed so thats why I posted in the forums to get input from people who might have experience with the amps. It's not like I went and tested out the microcube when looking for a tube amp.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by TehJermie
Epi Valve Junior and a Metal Muff, maybe two Vjs if he can afford them.

Naw he can't afford 2 VJs, maybe 1 with a nice cab to go with it. I read the combo version isnt as good as the head with a sep. cab. I guess it might be worth it to look on ebay for one haha.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head