It seems nothing I try to play ever sounds correct. The only thing that doesn't sound completely off is Smoke on the Water. I've been playing for about 3 monthes and the majority of the time I don't even like trying to play something new/fun because it always sounds like shit and that totally kills it for me I tune my guitar accordingly for each song I try and try to get my amp settings based on what the guitarist in the band uses. It just really bums me out when I spend an a few hours a day learning a song and then play it for a friend and he hasn't a clue what it is, even when it is a song we listen to all the time
Make sure you aren't trying to play things that are really beyond yourself at this time. You might not be into it, but it can be really valuable to learn some punk and search, if nothing, but for your own satisfaction of hearing something sound like it should.

Dont worry though, it will come if you keep practising.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
yeah, naturally when you first begin you're always going to feel kind of shitty because you feel like you can't do much and you never will. But all I could tell you to do is with each new material you learn, play over it slowly and gradually work your way up, and just have patience.
I'm so damn jealous of myself.
Quote by Kurapica
Make sure you aren't trying to play things that are really beyond yourself at this time. You might not be into it, but it can be really valuable to learn some punk and search, if nothing, but for your own satisfaction of hearing something sound like it should.

Dont worry though, it will come if you keep practising.

Know any good punks songs I can learn? I can play "Some Kinda Hate" by The Misfits and it does sound pretty close.
For me, improvement comes in spurts. Or it seems like it at least. For a long time I'll be thinking, man I suck, I'm not getting any better at all, then all of a sudden I can play something I couldn't before.
two things:

1. play easy songs.

2. play with the song to get the rhythm.
Cream Schecter Ultra III
Black Epi Les Paul Studio
Hohner Red SG (yeah weird)
Breedlove Dreadnought acoustic
An old fender (unknown model)
A frankenstein strat (unknown model)
15w Vox Pathfinder
120w Crate Flexwave
Quote by Julian1205
Know any good punks songs I can learn? I can play "Some Kinda Hate" by The Misfits and it does sound pretty close.

Hmm, what did I learn...

Oh yeah:

Pennywise - **** Authority and Bro Hymn,
Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go,
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop (one of the easiest songs ever to jam with),
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK,
The Libertines - Mayday.

Try some of those and just anything like that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
oh yeah, and play ramones songs.
Cream Schecter Ultra III
Black Epi Les Paul Studio
Hohner Red SG (yeah weird)
Breedlove Dreadnought acoustic
An old fender (unknown model)
A frankenstein strat (unknown model)
15w Vox Pathfinder
120w Crate Flexwave
Don't worry about your friends not knowing the songs that you play; your average joe doesn't really know the guitar part/chord progression of most songs, they just know the vocal part.

Just keep up the practicing .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
master some nirvana and green day (if you like them) then progress from there.
well just keep practicing and maybe in the beginning play to and than work your way up to people
You've been playing 3 months, and to be honest you've probably wasted a lot of time arsing around with tunings. Stick with stuff in standard for the time being until you've got your basic dexterity up a bit. Same goes for amp settings, don't worry about them, just set your amp so that it has a good, all round sound and use it. It's important to make the best use of your time when starting out if you want to progress at a healthy rate. Alternate tunings aren't important, you could go through your whole life without ever needing them so they can wait.

Learning how to form chords, learning where the notes are on the fretboard, barre chords...stuff like that, that's essential to playing competently. Put the tabs away for a while and go back to the basics, learn some simple songs with open chords. If you take some time to learn the basics now you'll learn stuff much more quickly in the future.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com