The screw on the bottem of my guitar to hold my strap is offical messed. Or the screw hole is messed. I think the screw or something completly ate the inside of it, so the screw won't stay in anymore..

I don't know if I can buy strap locks for this situation or is there something else I can do?

I really don't want to have to glue the screw in....
Shove it full of toothpicks, cut off the excess, and then screw in the strap button (you can use some wood glue if you want but if you jam enough in there you probably won't need to).

I know it sounds goofy, but it works.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Maybe fill it with wood filler and then drill it and re-screw it. I don't know if wood filler would be strong enough though, you can get it at home depot or lowe's though if you want to try.
Alright, thanks a bunch, I'll try the toothpicks, then I'll try the wood filler.
Quote by gsr2k6
Maybe fill it with wood filler and then drill it and re-screw it. I don't know if wood filler would be strong enough though, you can get it at home depot or lowe's though if you want to try.

you can go to home depot and buy wood putty or caulking that willl for sure hold
Quote by shecter4ever
you can go to home depot and buy wood putty or caulking that willl for sure hold

We just ripped the carpet out of my family house and put down hardwood so ive had some experiance with the wood filler/putty/caulk stuff, the filler/repairer is alot stronger than the caulk because the caulk is designed to be soft enough to expand with the floor. I dont see why it wouldnt work though
Quote by gsr2k6
We just ripped the carpet out of my family house and put down hardwood so ive had some experiance with the wood filler/putty/caulk stuff, the filler/repairer is alot stronger than the caulk because the caulk is designed to be soft enough to expand with the floor. I dont see why it wouldnt work though

So I should I fill it in and let it dry, then put the screw in? Right?
drill a pilot hole first. or at least a hole marginally smaller than the screw.

screwing straight into wood is hard
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Wood filler is no good in that case.

There are 2 ways to fix this.

1. Use toothpicks (preferfably round toothpicks) as a filler. Ideally, moisten each toothpick (2-3) in wood glue, and insertone at a time. Once the glue is dry, trim them fluch with the body and screw the strap button back on. That will hold solidly for a long time. Toothpicks on their own are a good temporary fix when in a bind, but will eventually pop out. Glue makes all the difference.

2. You can get a thin wooden dowel and actually plug the hole completely using glue. Once the glue is dry, cut the down flush to the body and re-drill it the correct size for your screw. Then screw in the button. This is by far the most 'solid' way to fix it, and if you were to bring it to a shop, this is likely what they'd do.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Wood filler is no good in that case.

There are 2 ways to fix this.

1. Use toothpicks (preferfably round toothpicks) as a filler. Ideally, moisten each toothpick (2-3) in wood glue, and insertone at a time. Once the glue is dry, trim them fluch with the body and screw the strap button back on. That will hold solidly for a long time. Toothpicks on their own are a good temporary fix when in a bind, but will eventually pop out. Glue makes all the difference.

2. You can get a thin wooden dowel and actually plug the hole completely using glue. Once the glue is dry, cut the down flush to the body and re-drill it the correct size for your screw. Then screw in the button. This is by far the most 'solid' way to fix it, and if you were to bring it to a shop, this is likely what they'd do.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Fill the hole with woodfiller, drill new hole throught the woodfiller once its stable and dry, scrap the original screws and invest in some nice new strap locks, problem solved, forget the toothpicks idea, unless you want it botched,

better still give it to a luthier and they will sort it out for you in a proper fashion so will be good as new!!
Lyrics, Wasted Time between solos!!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender Standard Strat
Line 6 Flextone II
Boss GT6
Jim Dunlop Wah
I've always had wood filler eventually crack and fall out. It will hold for a while, but it's not a permanent fix. That's why I recommended against it. Been there, done that (several times thinking it was the righ thing to do), and it's failed every time.

Quote by Crunchmeister
I've always had wood filler eventually crack and fall out. It will hold for a while, but it's not a permanent fix. That's why I recommended against it. Been there, done that (several times thinking it was the righ thing to do), and it's failed every time.

My mom picked up some crazy sorta like word filler stuff, and I don't think the screws going to fall out again. The stuff hardened and it was just like wood. It says don't get it on your hands, now I see why.
Crunch you need to bookmark this thread so when his strapbutton falls out again you can post a link and say "I TOLD YOU SO MUHAHAHAHAHAH!"

...or not.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Super glue it.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
i had this problem but when i eventualy got round to replacing the screw which i had lost it was a larger screw and fitted perfectly problem solved!!!
I have this problem right now. I'm lucky, though--my dad has been working with wood for twenty five years. I'm just gonna take it down to his shop and get the whole body made up.

The tooth pick idea seems to be the best out of everything suggested, I'd go with that.