to shave the back of the neck on a squier to make it thinner? I have small hands and I'm finding it hard to play some things on it. I would chalk it up to my own lack of ability, but when I pick up my brother's rg120 I can play it fine.

Basically what I want to know is will thinning the neck down hurt the structural integrity. I don't want to do it if the string tension will cause it to warp or something.
ok, you can shave the neck down, probably enough to get it comfortable, but it can make the neck fail and break and/or warp really bad, see, the more wood you remove the less strength the neck as a whole has, if you do it right and go slow and even you shouldnt have trouble, just dont make it too thin, and remember there's a truss rod cavity too
Also remember that a little bit goes a long way.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
yeah, ive done it to my squire, i didnt risk shaving it though i just sanded it, took about 2mm off i spose, not alot but like hoobariffer it doesnt take a lot for you to notice the difference
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd need to oil it afterwards to protect the wood. Maple is prone to warping when left unfinished.

oh yea, good call, you need to refinish it for sure
how would you shave it? like with what? just a sander and hope you get it even or is there some way your soppose to do it?
Yeah its easy, I did it yesterday. Make sure you don't take a lot off or it can snap when you tighten the strings. Only take off 5mm max.
By the way, does anyone know where to get gunstock oil in Canada? We dont have guns, so I doubt we have oil for their stocks.
Quote by Want a LP
Yeah its easy, I did it yesterday. Make sure you don't take a lot off or it can snap when you tighten the strings. Only take off 5mm max.
By the way, does anyone know where to get gunstock oil in Canada? We dont have guns, so I doubt we have oil for their stocks.

you typically find it at a gun store.
and seriously, you have guns, i've seen them. you might be better off just ordering it off the net though...
Quote by sempri_fi
you typically find it at a gun store.
and seriously, you have guns, i've seen them. you might be better off just ordering it off the net though...

Yeah we have some guns, but they're not sold at any stores, only on the "black market", and in Canada our "black market" is just some wanna be "gangstas" in Toronto. What about that other oil, tunj oil I think, do they sell that at home depot?
Quote by Want a LP
Yeah we have some guns, but they're not sold at any stores, only on the "black market", and in Canada our "black market" is just some wanna be "gangstas" in Toronto. What about that other oil, tunj oil I think, do they sell that at home depot?

As a military man I'm severely offended.
Quote by Want a LP

no gun stores? can you even own guns? thats crazy stuff,
i suppose governments dont like armed civilians....

anyways, to answer your question, tung oil will work, its pretty common actually.
Quote by sempri_fi
no gun stores? can you even own guns? thats crazy stuff,
i suppose governments dont like armed civilians....

anyways, to answer your question, tung oil will work, its pretty common actually.

We get arrested for owning guns. The only guns that I've ever seen in Canada are attached to police, and some old hunting rifles that you cant buy ammunition for anymore. Don't even ask about the penalty for USING guns. Hell, for all I know there's a mountee on his way to arrest me for TALKING about guns. But it feels pretty safe being able to walk around downtown Toronto and not get mugged.
Long story short, no guns, gun stores, or gun stock oil.
There's guns, you tool. They're used to hunt, that's why the federal government has the firearms registry. You could go to a hunting and fishing store to get gunstock oil, or maybe even a hardware store.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i reshape all my necks with a blade, a sander, some sandpaper, and a vacume to pick up sawdust
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by Will_Minus
There's guns, you tool. They're used to hunt, that's why the federal government has the firearms registry. You could go to a hunting and fishing store to get gunstock oil, or maybe even a hardware store.

lol Yeah I know there's hunting rifles, but I was talking about using guns on people. That's not allowed. Especially to talk about using them, we call those threats. And still, the only hunting rifles I know of in Ontario are those pussy airguns in Canadian tire. Oh man, someone should start up a thread where we tell th truth about the myths about Canada. There's actually people who think we live in igloos. Good idea?
Quote by Want a LP
lol Yeah I know there's hunting rifles, but I was talking about using guns on people. That's not allowed. Especially to talk about using them, we call those threats. And still, the only hunting rifles I know of in Ontario are those pussy airguns in Canadian tire. Oh man, someone should start up a thread where we tell th truth about the myths about Canada. There's actually people who think we live in igloos. Good idea?

wow, what a 180 from America, owning guns in America is prettymuch encouraged, and its actually protected by our constitution..

and you dont live in an igloo?

haha
and yes, you might want to check at a fish and game type store, they might have the oil you're looking for
actualy he is wrong, cuz i baught my gun in canada, and no one had a problem with me doing it up there
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff