I have been doing alot of improvising and all is well using natural and harmonic minor on this backing track I'v got. I decide to tryout some melodic minor and it sound totally out of key. Whats going on, hat am I doing wrong? I also tryed the decendign thing. and ascending in natural. I played some licks going down the melodic minor than came up with some licks in natural. What am I doing wrong?

And can anyone tab me or the standard/most common fingering for the melodic minor. I can't seem to find one that is the most common. They are all good.... but which is the most common? thanks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
yeah i have the same problem, like when i play it in A ascending it goes fine but descending it always wants to resolves to G.
You might need to alter your chords abit, find ones that fit the scale. Maybe your playing Minor chords, the scale you should be using for those is Minor, and for Major scales, Major, etc. etc.
First, it's more common to ascend in melodic minor and descend in natural minor, the opposite of what you said you were doing.

But here's the important thing... you can't simply play any form of minor scale over a chord progression. Which one you use should be determined by your harmonies. For example, you're in A minor, you're playing over a major V chord (E major (E, G#, B), if you play natural minor over that and hit a G, it's going to clash with the G# in the chord. It would be more appropriate to play in either harmonic or melodic minor in this case, since both contain a G#.

What you need to do is think of all 3 minor scales at the same time when you're improvising. Think about what chord you're soloing over and use that to decide whether raise or lower the 6th and 7th scale degrees.

Hope that helps.
so how do i know what chords can go under the melodic minor and which ones won't work?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Devon8822
so how do i know what chords can go under the melodic minor and which ones won't work?

all you need to do is look at the notes in the chord, and the melodic minor scale and make sure that none of the notes clash ( i.e. D and D#)
for example,if you are in the key of c minor (Eb major relative) you cannot play the C melodic minor scale over a major VII chord because that particular chord is based off of the C natural minor scale. however, you can play the C melodic minor scale over the viiº chord because both contain the raised 7th scale degree.

EDIT: if you haven't learned theory yet, that would help you out alot