Page 1 of 2
Alright so I dont understand how the epiphone valve junior works. It only has a volume control, and no other controls. Its only 5 watts, which is like a practice amp. So whats the sense in a 5watt head? How much volume can that actually provide? thanks
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Enough to hear ver a drums. The low power allows you to really crank it and get some nice tube saturation which is far moe sonicly pleasing than preamp distortion. By the way, it is way to loud for bedroom practice volumes without and attenuator.
really? so if i got an 100 watt head it'd blow your ears out if it was all the way up and right behind you?
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Quote by psycadelicart
really? so if i got an 100 watt head it'd blow your ears out if it was all the way up and right behind you?

100 Tube Watts would blast the skin off of your skull if you dimed it and stood right in front of the speakers.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
5 watts of class A tube watts is probably about 20 watts solid state. And only having one volume control is nice IMO, you can't compensate your shitty playing with a lot of tone controls and effects. It grabs you by the balls and forces you to play better.
Wuddup92 Your obviously a stupid peice of shit who doesnt even own a valve junior head. on the other hand, I do. Im assuming you would purchase a tube head for the tube tone which comes from tube saturation which comes from turning up the volume. Maybe you have a big house or a soundproof bedroom, but it is too loud where i come from, where my parnets come from, where my friends parents come from, where my RA's come from, and where everyone else that has ever told me to turn down the volume comes from. Don't reply t threads you knw nothing about. Also, I am going to assume that if your buying the head version, you have a cab. An good speaker cab with efficient speakers is enough to hear yourself over any reasonable drummer in a casual setting.
...too loud for bedroom practice!?

I don't know about you, but 5 watts ain't all that much wattage for tube.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^Really...huh. I guess that dude at the shop didn't crank the tiny terror I was playing all the way. Didn't seem that loud for a 7/15 watter, figures though, it was a small confined spot.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
so wait...i heard that you could hook up a 4x12 cab to a VJ and it wouldnt be louder than a 2x12, the only difference is the bass from a 4x12. would a 4x12 cab be louder than 2x12? i assue so since more volume going into the speakers. so they guy that told me that was wrong and now i feel stupid.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
You wouldn't get the best tone with a 4x12 cabinet because the speakers would not be pushed to smooth them out and get the best range dynamic range out of them.
^im getting a weber speaker for kicks, gonna order a couple this week.

and believe it or not they must over rate those eminence speakers. because the one im using is probably a 75watt and the Vjr still od's at 1-2 o'clock.

anyway, in case anyone was wondering, you can hear it over casual drumming. and wt a pedal u can play it low enough for bedroom practice no problem.

full band? heavy music? nah, it's about as loud as a 30W but, ud have to be blasting it, thru 2 speakers.
ur better getting the right amp for the job.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Oh, of course. If your band has a drummer with a good sense of dynamis, you're cool. But if you play with Keith Moon, it's no bueno.

And you CAN play it low enough for bedroom, but it wouldn't be cranked - and come on, let's face it, that ain't no fun, haha.

Yeah, I'm gonna order a 6" from them for a portable amp I'm building. It's gonna be schweeet.
I got a micromass attenuator from them. I also read somewhere that the speaker in newer VJ's is actualy an unlabled Weber speaker. Hoooooray Weber.
I want a weber attenuator.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I actualy enjoy the speaker in my VJ. Of course you want a Weber Attenuator. Any smart person wants one. Just make sure your speaker cables arent a pile of poo.
I'm looking into finding the right wattage for mine...

Would 50 watts be good enough?
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm
minimass FTW!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
for your orange i would say that should be enough to compensate for the anything after the 30 watt rms and then some
Cheers everyone.

Now time to decide the color...oh the agony.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
so if i was to buy a vj head, what cab would i use if i wanted a 212? and is the vj's output 16 ohms? or what
hey dw about last post sorry. i just foound out that the vj head has a 4, 8 or 16 ohm output, but the valve junior combo only has a 4 ohm output - will the 4 ohm go as loud as a 16 ohm?
hey dw about last post sorry. i just foound out that the vj head has a 4, 8 or 16 ohm output, but the valve junior combo only has a 4 ohm output - will the 4 ohm go as loud as a 16 ohm? because i wanna get a vj seeing as they're really cheap, and i dont know what to get
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's something to think about. Well, unless the speakers are rated fairly low. Weber makes 20 watt rated speakers, so it'd be easier to get more saturation from them than say a Eminence 75 watt rated speaker.

That's not entirely true, actually. The wattage of a speaker doesn't equate to efficiency. A speaker with an SPL of 95dB will sound substantially quieter than a speaker with an SPL of 100dB. In fact, the 100dB speaker will sound almost four times as loud (it's twice as loud every 3dB increase). SPL is measured by taking the volume of a 1w signal at 1m.

Wattage is ONLY a factor if you're worried about the RMS being too high and blowing the coils. Edit: Or if you like the sound of a speaker breaking up.

My Valve Jr. running through my 2x12 with Vintage 30's (100dB) is too loud to play cranked. I have to wait until I'm alone to actually dime it. Will it be audible over a drummer? Probably not, but I usually play coffee houses and I don't have a drummer, so it's great for me.

There's a lot more that goes into volume than just the wattage.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by EpiPaul
hey dw about last post sorry. i just foound out that the vj head has a 4, 8 or 16 ohm output, but the valve junior combo only has a 4 ohm output - will the 4 ohm go as loud as a 16 ohm? because i wanna get a vj seeing as they're really cheap, and i dont know what to get

Doesn't make any difference what so ever. A 4ohm speaker will be the same volume as a 16ohm speaker, all other variables being the same.

That being said, the stock OT in the VJr. has an 8 ohm tap. I'd replace the OT either way, but it does have the tap for it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by andrew7667
Doesn't make any difference what so ever. A 4ohm speaker will be the same volume as a 16ohm speaker, all other variables being the same.

That being said, the stock OT in the VJr. has an 8 ohm tap. I'd replace the OT either way, but it does have the tap for it.

The speaker itself may not be different volumes, but running the wrong impedance into it isn't going to do much for the amp. More ohmage will increase the resistance and lower the power output.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by psycadelicart

If you got a 100 watt head, put it behind you and played it, you'd blow yourself off the stage right into the audience. Nobody needs a 100 watt head unless you guys play at a stadium or something, lol. I've already tried a 100 watt marshall JCM 900 and we were like "Lets get a mic for this one." But the sound guys were like, "No, i don't think that's necessary", at about 3/4 of the volume on the CLEAN CHANNEL, i played a note and my ears were ringing.

Yay for the valve junior! Great for band practice too... LOUD for bedroom practice.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by Jinskee
...too loud for bedroom practice!?

I don't know about you, but 5 watts ain't all that much wattage for tube.

It's pretty loud, man. Probably about the volume of a 20W SS amp. Maybe more. I didn't get a 5W head to run it with an attenuator, but I'm not cranking this thing after the kids go to bed, either.

You'd be surprised how loud my little half-watt ZVex is! I ain't jamming with a drummer or anything with it, but it's louder than I play my stereo these days.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Page 1 of 2