Ok, I made a thread for this earlier, but I havent gotten the probelm to stop so here it is again...

I got new ernie ball strings for my strat...

I put them on, and tuned it up, and it keeps slipping, which I know is a very common problem...

But, I tune it up to Standard, and the E string drops to a db in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds...

And also, the bridge is raising up really high from the body of the guitar....is this supposed to happen?

here r the pics

this is just a full shot of the guitar, so u see which one it is...(dunno if needed but w.e)

This is the headstock..I think i put the strings in right, but this is only my second time stringing a guitar...

Here is a bad shot of the bridge when its coming off the body...sry for the crappy pics, im not a photographer lol

thx for help...
Have you stretched out your strings yet?

When you put on new strings, you need to tune them up, and then pull them up away from the fretboard along the whole length of the fretboard all the way to the bridge, tune back up, stretch em again, rinse and repeat until stretching them out doesn't throw them out of tune.

You might need to put another spring in the back of the trem to lower the bridge.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Have you stretched out your strings yet?

When you put on new strings, you need to tune them up, and then pull them up away from the fretboard along the whole length of the fretboard all the way to the bridge, tune back up, stretch em again, rinse and repeat until stretching them out doesn't throw them out of tune.

You might need to put another spring in the back of the trem to lower the bridge.

+1

Didn't you have a thread about this earlier?
Looks like you put on a string set that may be a heavier gauge than the one you had on previously. Since thicker strings require more tension they would pull the bridge up like that. Make sure the strings you put on were the same gauge as the ones you used to have on there. For example, if you had 9's on make sure you put 9's back on. To solve that problem tighten the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar until the bridge is level. Remember though, when you tighten the springs, the strings will raise in pitch. So you have to tighten the springs a little bit, retune the strings, tighten the springs a little bit, retune the strings, etc. until the birdge is level and the strings are in tune. Then stretch the strings by gently pulling them away form the body (about half an inch) and retuning them as necessary. Do that a few times and they should be stable so that when you stretch them they will hold there pitch.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Those are the gauge numbers. Gauge is a measure in inches. So a 12 gauge string is 0.12 of an inch. Why did you choose those strings? They are pretty heavy. What strings did you have on it before?

To tighten the springs just screw the screw they are attached to further into the guitar. Try to do it so that all the springs are balanced though.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Quote by Jonjy2
I have no idea what gauge means? what does that mean? the biggest string was a 56 and the smallest 12, what do those numbers mean?

oh and how do i tighten the springs? by screwing in those screws on the back of the bridge?

I wise man once told me that Fenders sound great with thicker gauges, so at least you have that going for you .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Ok, yeah since you put on heavier strings they are pulling harder on the bridge. Just tighten the screws that the trem springs are on so the birdge gets pulled closer to the body of the guitar. Remeber, tighten the trem screws so that they are even, do a few turns on one and few tunrs on all the others. Also, remember to retune after you tighten the spirngs a little since the strings will now be sharp. Tighten springs and retune as many times as necessary until the bridge is against the body again.

Alternatively, you could buy more trem springs and add them on. You probably have 3 on there now and i think you can hold 5. If you can get to a store take the guitar with you and they will explain the situation.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Just to emphasize, MAKE SURE YOU DETUNE THE STRINGS when you are tightening the spring screws.

Breaking a string and getting whipped in the face is not a good thing (especially by a 12 gauger ).
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Jonjy2
ok, ^^ thx teamzaius

but can i tune way down low, then tighten the bridge, and then tune back up? so i dont have to risk snapping one of my strings?

Yes you can do it that way. Like i said above, try taking it to a store because its a very easy problem to fix and they can explain it to you while you watch.
Gibson SG Special Ebony