I read somewhere that any combination of 3 or more notes can be named (meaning major, minor, suspended, diminished, add, omit, etc.).

What would a combination of minor 2nds be named, say, C, C#, and D?

Yes, I know this would sound awful, I'm just curious.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

It could be callled, Csus2addb2no5 or C#maj7addb9no5 (I can't think anything with D as the root), but three consecutive chromatic tones are not really a part of western music (someone phrase that better).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It could be callled, Csus2addb2no5 or C#maj7addb9no5 (I can't think anything with D as the root), but three consecutive chromatic tones are not really a part of western music (someone phrase that better).

Ah, okay. Thanks.

And while we're at it, I believe the definition of a chord is a combination of three notes or more played simultaneously. Now, would a power chord with the root, fifth, and octave be considered a chord even though an interval is repeated? I've heard people say that it would and people say that it wouldn't.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Ah, okay. Thanks.

And while we're at it, I believe the definition of a chord is a combination of three notes or more played simultaneously. Now, would a power chord with the root, fifth, and octave be considered a chord even though an interval is repeated? I've heard people say that it would and people say that it wouldn't.

The amount of times an interval appears does not change what it is, no.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by psychodelia
I think it'd be a chromatic tone cluster.

Thats what it would be. A cluster, because its a cluster of notes.

And for the power chord thing, I dont think they are chords. It is missing the 3rd so that doesnt really qualify it as anything. All power chords are are shortened barre chords.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
And for the power chord thing, I dont think they are chords. It is missing the 3rd so that doesnt really qualify it as anything. All power chords are are shortened barre chords.
A chord doesn't need a third. A sus chord is a legit chord.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A chord doesn't need a third. A sus chord is a legit chord.

It would need a third to be called a major or minor though right?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
from what I know of chords it just needs to be 3 different notes im not sure though, since a power chord has an octave I dont think it's technically a chord it's actually closer to a double stop but i've always called it a chord.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
All chords have to have at least 3 notes, thats why they are called triads anything beyond 3 notes (7ths 9ths ect.) are chord extensions. A chord doesn't have to have a 3rd . A sus chord doesn't have a 3rd but it has a 2nd instead still 3 notes. A "power chord" usually called a power 5 chord isn't really a chord it's an interval. Just 2 notes, the root or tonic and a 5th. Same thing with parallel 4th double stops. these are intervals not chords.