OK before the flaming begins please listen to the situation. I own both a Vox AD30VT and a Fender Frontman 25R with a Digitech RP50. I had a couple of friends over who are really good at guitar to jam for a while. We alternated using the gear, and based on my experience, I thought the Fender/Digitech combo was better!

I know its UG heresy, but the preset tones from the RP50 were much more distinct and impressive than the preset tones of the AD30VT. Not to mention that even after turning the power level and master volume to max on the VOX, it could barely hang volume wise with the pedal and the Fender at Volume setting 2!

BTW the fender/digitech had a crappy guitar and the VOX had a USA Telecaster.

Could anyone with lots of guitar amp/fx experience please comment on this thought?
"Mr. Jones and the Invaders"
Fender American Telecaster 2005
Takamine EG341SC
VOX AD30VT

Check out my music
I think all digitech products are all computer animated crap... oh wait...
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
The voicing on the Voxes seems to get worse as the amps get bigger. Make the 15watter into a mini-head and you're good to go.
The speakers on anything below the 50 watt version are a little suspect.

One thing I have noticed is that the Vox's need a lot of tweaking to get sounding good (aka not using presets). Check out www.valvetronix.net for some better tones.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The speaker on the 50 isn't good either. That's why you just wire up the 15 so you can use it with bigger speakers. And it actually sounds GOOD.
i have a AD30VT and im VERY unsatisfied with it. i think im going to sell it and buy a cube 30x. i just cant seem to get a good overdrive/distortion tone out of this amp. the cleans are GREAT.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
^ no see, i DONT LIKE the gain channels. they are just plain crappy and sound like digitech pedals to me. the plexi channel doesnt even sound like a plexi. same with the dsl401, triple rec, and solando models. i just dont like the tone.

and ive tried boosting the channels with a TS9, it just muddied up the sounds.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Wow, I'm getting some nice sounds out of my 15. Even getting some nice things out of that joke of a Nu Metal channel, guess it's just the way I have things set up....
well ive heard that the voicings on the 15 watt are better and all the other ones. it seems like the bigger they get the more crappy the voicings are. but yeah i think im just gonna go with a cube.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Facingusall: I have used valvetronix.net extensively and found a really good clean tone on that website. However, I have never been able to find a hard rock tone as good as preset 24 on the RP50!

Also, to the people that say I should get a AD15 and get better speakers...wouldn't it be easier to just to get a better combo amp? I was already thinking about getting a blues jr and a pedal or two. However, my Frontman seems to have some serious headroom and the RP50 tone is pretty good...
"Mr. Jones and the Invaders"
Fender American Telecaster 2005
Takamine EG341SC
VOX AD30VT

Check out my music
^ Just having some fun. I wondered why they didn't have a speaker out on the little 15. Just some experimentation really. In fact, I probably wouldn't recommend that you do so. Seeing as you have to re-wire the amp, and build a new cabinet to hold the chassis. Only if you have spare time and want to have some fun.
Quote by TehJermie
The speaker on the 50 isn't good either. That's why you just wire up the 15 so you can use it with bigger speakers. And it actually sounds GOOD.

It's the 60 that has different speakers; my bad .

Just go tube and don't look back .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^I have, but it's not every hour of day I wanna lug my amps out. Vintage amps have huge transformers and are heavy as shit. Even that 15 is on the heavy side for a practice amp. I want that VJ combo.
Quote by FacingUsAll
It's the 60 that has different speakers; my bad .

No, the 50 has celstion made speakers, it says so in the AD15/30/50 manual.

Quote by gthorn2000
Not to mention that even after turning the power level and master volume to max on the VOX, it could barely hang volume wise with the pedal and the Fender at Volume setting 2!

To me it sounds like your speaker's going or something is broken at least in your Vox.
The Stuff!
The 15 and 30 have Vox cheapy speakers.

The 50 has a Celestion cheapy speaker which is better but not great.

I replaced the speaker in my 30 with a Celestion G10 Vintage which is a good speaker.
The Celestion in that 50 is really the bottom of the barrel in terms of Celestions. Very neutral and bland. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even really make those speakers themselves.
Yeah, although it is a decent step up from the speaker in the 30. That thing is awful.

If you have the AD30VT put a G10 Vintage in, if you have the AD50VT I'd put a Vintage 30 in but there are more choices for 12" speakers.
^For what you'd add for the V30, you could just get an all tube amp really. I think they're good amps and all, but the way Vox made them, you can't really use them for anything other than home practice or some very casual jamming.
And I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading a $230 amp anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
Damn, UG is turning on Valvetronix in a serious way! How long before VTX is the new Spider?!?

I think upgrading the amp is worth it. If you're holding onto it, you have a better sounding amp. When it comes time to put it on eBay, you can make a big deal about how your modifications make it the shizzizzle.

I bought my AD30 for $160 and sold it for $165, so I can't complain...

I continue to believe that it makes a very nice starter/practice amp, but we're tube snobs over here. It can't be hepled.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You people are so picky its ridiculous... The vox ad30vt is fantastic for its price range, tone wise and feature wise, seriously i think people just mouth products because its the new "fad" on UG..it makes me sick

And @ threadstarter...almost anything on the RP50 doesnt sound great IMO, too digital.
..Nothing compared to vox's tones
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
^ It can make you sick all you want. What makes me sick is wasting $230 on an amp that I become grossly disappointed with. I'm not bandwagoning. I've owned an AD30VT for over a year now and I got it because I thought it would be a cool little novelty. I never play it anymore. If you want it, I'll sell it to you. Like new condition.
Hi, I'm Peter