Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to guitar so bare with me.
I'm wondering what kind of things you can do with 24 fret you can't do with 22 fret.
What do you absolutely need 24 fret guitars for?
And what is 24 Fret guitars usually good for?

Let me know

thanks!
Sorry about that. (Forgot to search the forum)
I'll search the forum.

Thanks!
Well, with 24 frets, you can hit higher notes. That's pretty much it. Doesn't really take up much space so theres no sacrifise of anything going on.
yeah but those extra 2 notes can be established just by using bends.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

id say stick with 22 if your fairly new to guitar
i mean ur not gonna be using them that much until u get to be a master shredder
the biggest trade off imo, would be you lose a whole lot of neck pickup tone. I still prefer 22 fret guitars compared to 24 frets, probably coz i use the neck pickup a lot
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by SublimeGuitar

OK. While you're playing Serrana at 150bpm, I want to see you bend up a full tone to hit the high E in time.
Quote by Jongpil Yun
OK. While you're playing Serrana at 150bpm, I want to see you bend up a full tone to hit the high E in time.

You can always move everything down two frets. There aren't any open notes in there.
It expands the guitars range by two notes, not really that big a deal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by felenoral
You can always move everything down two frets. There aren't any open notes in there.

Yeah you can move down 2 frets and be out of key...
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Yeah you can move down 2 frets and be out of key...

i would be in a different key, you can usually get away with that, singer-songwriters do it all the time.

Last.fm
Well it's easy enough on our guitars where all we have to do is move down a few frets and everything is identical, but tell a pianist or something that you're changing keys on a whim and they'll be... angry
well yeah, but seeing as were talking about guitars here, what pianists do isnt really relevant.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well yeah, but seeing as were talking about guitars here, what pianists do isnt really relevant.

Uh.... you're playing a song.

You don't have 24 frets.

You move down 2 frets.

You change the key.

The pianist accompanying you is pissed off.

See where I'm going here? Not everybody plays by themselves.
Quote by SublimeGuitar

Yeah, but with 24 frets you get extra bends!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
i like my 24 fret, just because i like it, theres not really any advantage or dissadvantage to it.
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
i'd definitely like 2 get a 24 fret ibanez. i heard guitar center has ones with standard tremolo
It's the one thing i don't like about Jackson and alot of Ibanez necks, the 24th fret. IMO it's useless and takes away from what could have been an even better neck pickup. You'll be fine with 22 frets if you're just starting out.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
24 frets is the best.

Nice and lazy too, as if you don't want to play something in one octave and you haven't crossed the 12th fret, you can just shove it all up an octave without any hassle.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
like i said, the biggest disadvantage for me is losing the warm neck pickup tone when using a 24 fret
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
like i said, the biggest disadvantage for me is losing the warm neck pickup tone when using a 24 fret

Even though that's more or less half-true at best.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I think that 24 frets make more sense, because you get two full octaves per string.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I think that 24 frets make more sense, because you get two full octaves per string.
Yeah, it seems more 'full' to me.

And with 24 frets, it'll be easier to play on the 22nd fret.
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Uh.... you're playing a song.

You don't have 24 frets.

You move down 2 frets.

You change the key.

The pianist accompanying you is pissed off.

See where I'm going here? Not everybody plays by themselves.

Yeah, but you were talking about Serrana; an unaccompanied guitar piece. See where I'm going with this?
Quote by felenoral
Yeah, but you were talking about Serrana; an unaccompanied guitar piece. See where I'm going with this?

The complete orchestral version on the Rasberry Jams has a trumpet, string section (bass, violin, cello), pipe organ, harpsichord, and piano.

Anyways, Serrana itself is irrelevant. Substitute any song that requires use of the 23rd or 24th fret, and the message is the same. It adds versatility at a very marginal change in tonality (not for better or worse), and helps quite a bit in visualizing the fretboard.
Last edited by Jongpil Yun at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Explain. On a 24 fret neck, the neck pickup often has to move back a slight bit, or in some cases, even removed! In this new position, it's closer to the bridge. This causes it to be a little less warm then it was before.

yup, it gets more trebly when it moves closer to the bridge
Last edited by ~Andrea-Angel~ at Feb 21, 2007,
I like my 24 frets. As some have said, it feels more complete with two full octaves per string. And I don't know about the pickup thing, don't really care either.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Explain. On a 24 fret neck, the neck pickup often has to move back a slight bit, or in some cases, even removed! In this new position, it's closer to the bridge. This causes it to be a little less warm then it was before.

Except for you're wrong. Read this before you post that bullshit again:
http://www.edromanguitars.com/tech/22vs24.htm
Quote by Tree_Fiddy

Except for Ed Roman doesnt really know what hes talking about half time, do proper research before you post links to bullshit again. Not to mention everything hes saying is completely subjective.

Last.fm
Quote by SublimeGuitar

But if you have 24, you can bend EVEN higher!
Quote by Tree_Fiddy

That's tone mojo bullshit.
I posted a topic about that article not too long ago.
Algee cleared it up for me. Harmonic nodes move anyway, when you fret the strings. Does that make sense to you? So why the hell does it matter where the neck pickup is positioned?

Maybe you should stop catering to Ed Roman's trolling.