Page 1 of 4
How do you decide weather a band is punk or not? What makes it punk?
If they're popular enough for you to have heard about them, they're not punk.
1) ideals/beliefs/lyrics
2) sound
3) in some cases, looks. not usually though
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
Not having to ask what makes them punk.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by yawn
If they're popular enough for you to have heard about them, they're not punk.

uhhh no?
that's the dumbest thing i've heard all day.
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
I hate questions like this. Punk isnt just a fad. Its a lifestyle. Just 'cause you have the hair and the clothes doesnt make you punk. You need to BE punk. You need to feel it in your vains. In your blood. And I aint callin myself punk, I just know what it takes to be one. I see punks as raised not made. If you were raised with some bad shit happening, then you're already on a different boat then those posers.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Quote by victimized124
uhhh no?
that's the dumbest thing i've heard all day.
It was a joke

Really though, it shouldn't matter.
Quote by crash 2.0
I hate questions like this. Punk isnt just a fad. Its a lifestyle. Just 'cause you have the hair and the clothes doesnt make you punk. You need to BE punk. You need to feel it in your vains. In your blood. And I aint callin myself punk, I just know what it takes to be one. I see punks as raised not made. If you were raised with some bad shit happening, then you're already on a different boat then those posers.

agreed. Music-wise, punk needs to be simple and full of power chords. That is musically, what it was founded on: simplicity. It was meant to get away from the hour long solos that was going on in the other concerts. It might be just three chords in three minutes, but it proved you don't need complex stuff for great music. any1 who disagrees can just F off in my book.
Last edited by Jesur16 at Feb 19, 2007,
^ hahahaha!!!
Ballz On Parade
Quote by Jesur16
agreed. Music-wise, punk needs to be simple and full of power chords. That is musically, what it was founded on: simplicity. It was meant to get away from the hour long solos that was going on in the other concerts. It might be just three chords in three minutes, but it proved you don't need complex stuff for great music. any1 who disagrees can just F off in my book.

True, punk was started to get away from boring music, but that doesn't mean it has no talent. Listen to Bad Brains, Operation Ivy, Rancid, Radio Birdman, Television, or Richard Hell & the Voidoids, for example, and you'll see how you can mix talent and some complexity with not making boring music and still being punk. You'll also see how a lot of punk bands are more talented than a lot of metal and classic rock bands.

Quote by \m/(--_--)\m/
If a band has retarded babies for guitarists, they're punk.

Read what I wrote up there, but also, you're an asshole, unlike Jesur16. Dr. Know is a much better guitarist than Kirk Hammet or Zakk Wylde.

As for something relevant, punk is more of an attitude, but the music has to be somewhat in a certain set of "rules". The music usually has to be fast, raw, rock music with all the "bullshit" (long, boring guitar solos, the idea that the performer is so much higher and mightier than the listener, etc.) taken out. Some other musicians who don't fit this also have a a "punk" attitude, such as Frank Zappa. These people tend to be listened to by fans of punk, but aren't considered punk music.
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by hardrock1315

Read what I wrote up there, but also, you're an asshole, unlike Jesur16. Dr. Know is a much better guitarist than Kirk Hammet or Zakk Wylde.

Even though Im in the same opinion as you, dont call him an asshole for having fun. A joke is healthy once in awhile.
Ballz On Parade
Quote by crash 2.0
Even though Im in the same opinion as you, dont call him an asshole for having fun. A joke is healthy once in awhile.

I took it as more of an insult than a joke, but if that's what it was, then I didn't really mean it.
Any band's punk if you want them to be. I know I'm gonna get someone who's going to quote this and ask "Blink-182 also ?" Yes if you think they are punk then yeah.
What's up?
No thats just stupid. So if I honestly believe that ashlee simpson, bob dylan, and jeff beck are punk then they are punk?
Ballz On Parade
Quote by hardrock1315

Dr. Know is a much better guitarist than Kirk Hammet or Zakk Wylde.

no offense i love bad brains, but thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by drema
How do you decide weather a band is punk or not? What makes it punk?

You can tell by what they are like live
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by \m/(--_--)\m/
If a band has retarded babies for guitarists, they're punk.

Most punk musicians have more talent than any of those guitar masturbaters.
Quote by Jesur16

punk doesn't need to be just power chords! who told you that? to me what makes a band punk is orginality, doing something different and unexecpted and not being some cookie cutter bullshit. almost anyband could be punk in some way when you think about it. Tom Waits, Hank Williams, no not Kiss.

Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Kiss are wicked Punx!!

Look at those boots!

YA, ANARCHZORXZ!!!!111

Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
i think what makes a punk band punk is when you listen to them, it makes you want to run around and destroy things.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

"(long, boring guitar solos, the idea that the performer is so much higher and mightier than the listener, etc.) taken out. Some other musicians who don't fit this also have a a "punk" attitude, such as Frank Zappa. These people tend to be listened to by fans of punk, but aren't considered punk music." lmao yeah , but frank zappa did whip out hella long guitar solos.
dont try to stereotype crusties, its just a dumb move
Quote by crash 2.0
No thats just stupid. So if I honestly believe that ashlee simpson, bob dylan, and jeff beck are punk then they are punk?

Not the other two, but Bob Dylan was probably the punkest mother****er to ever live. I'm not ashamed to say that I have Bob Dylan on my iPod. He's inbetween Black Flag and the Buzzcocks.
the f*ck you attitude. or the happy fun punks (THE VANDALS) that sing about whatever they want and dont care what people think. and non-conformist ways. idk. thats what i feel makes a good punk band. BEING YOURSELF.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
(Invalid img)

Punx.

Gene Simmons = not punk.

Ace Frehley = punk

A band is punk if they have a punk guitar player.
Ummmm punk is indefinable really if a band is punk it just is.
Quote by Draken
Ummmm punk is indefinable really if a band is punk it just is.

ha.

coming from a person whose species thinks that the clash is punk.

Miserable humans.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
ha.

coming from a person whose species thinks that the clash is punk.

Miserable humans.

that hurt.
Quote by Zardokk
Not the other two, but Bob Dylan was probably the punkest mother****er to ever live. I'm not ashamed to say that I have Bob Dylan on my iPod. He's inbetween Black Flag and the Buzzcocks.

That's the best thing I've read in this thread.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Haha you guys crack me up, hardcore mega punkzorz! "You gotta be that and not that to be punk " ****, the best bands (in my opinion) The Clash, Pistols and Ramones didn't even want to be called punks. But hey, you can spend your time in the basement and listening to some underground shit with untuned guitars and write your "gotta be that to be punk" bible. Amen!
Quote by right
Haha you guys crack me up, hardcore mega punkzorz! "You gotta be that and not that to be punk " ****, the best bands (in my opinion) The Clash, Pistols and Ramones didn't even want to be called punks.

Oh dear god, the Clash WANTED to be punk.

Unfortunately, there was no escaping the fact that they were nothing more than a rich boy, hoople groupie, painter and chiropractor lead by the great dwarf of stereotypes, each with an original get-rich-quick scheme.

But hey, you can spend your time in the basement and listening to some underground shit with untuned guitars and write your "gotta be that to be punk" bible. Amen!

To quote the anti-nowhere league,

You criticise us, you say we're shit
But I'm up here and we're doing it!
Anything that is a rip off of the ramones or sex pistols
[/spam]

Freeze...WTF?
Member #1 of the I Poker club. PM Highvoltage45 to join.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Gene Simmons = not punk.

Ace Frehley = punk

A band is punk if they have a punk guitar player.

lol, has anyone seen that movie ("KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park")^^^? my dad's a HUGE kiss fan, he's got all their crap and i strongly suggest seeing that movie. it's so corny, it's hilarious.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Page 1 of 4