sometimes it happens without me noticing anyone know some good exercises to help me keep the 1-2-1-2 rhythm
Set aside some time to consciously go 1-2-1-2 over and over. Practice on all strings.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Learn songs that are finger picked. Also, try songs that aren't. Fret the chords and come up with your own little fingerpicking arrangement. Makes things intersting.
leave me alone, please.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Set aside some time to consciously go 1-2-1-2 over and over. Practice on all strings.

with a metronome, would be a good idea. if u dont have one, heres one: www.metronomeonline.com
i need to get a better signature.
Simple really, although to quote Jaco "...is one of the hardest thing you can learn". it's the basis of playing the intrument witout a pick, so it's something you should spend considerable time on. Basically, scales, chromatics, arpeggios are all you need. even "speed" practice on root notes works wonders. just use a metronome and build up over time. it takes a long time to get solid, fast technique.

Patience !

How long you been playing?
The answer to most questions is practice. Use the metronome link someone posted earlier and just keep working at it. If you keep working on it and keep a positive attitude about it, you'll notice you're improving soon.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
When I was first learning to play bass, I had the habit of just using my index. Since I am not James Jamerson, this was an issue.

What finally broke me of the habit was to play scales with a metronome and then out loud say "index - middle" as I slowly alternated the two fingers. It worked like a charm.
Quote by Applehead
Simple really, although to quote Jaco "...is one of the hardest thing you can learn". it's the basis of playing the intrument witout a pick, so it's something you should spend considerable time on. Basically, scales, chromatics, arpeggios are all you need. even "speed" practice on root notes works wonders. just use a metronome and build up over time. it takes a long time to get solid, fast technique.

Patience !

How long you been playing?

Stated with truth! I must emphasize the importance of scales though as they're really useful to getting alternating fingers into play.
Its amazing what scales and a metronome can do for you. Just practice on simple things like that and you get loads better over time. What I did was think about walking over the strings when I'm playing, If you don't alternate, you trip. Sometimes I used exercises like this too

G--------|-------|----0-|
D--------|-----0-|-0-0--|
A------0-|-0-0---|------|
E-0-0----|-------|------|
Play each 4x

Going up and down the strings using patterns like that and concentrating on always alternating even when there's not beats easily divided into 2s.
I don't know how I did it. I used to mostly use my middle finger, then some songs I just wouldn't be fast enough and started alternating and it just became a habit.
try plucking your nose while waiting at traffic lights..
lol...just joking of course