Hi all well i bought this Egmond Acoustic Jazz box off eBay. Paid $415 AUD + $20 AUD post (approx $325 US)

Well im after some feedback. GOOD deal or Lousy deal?

man ive been looking for an acoustic steel string for a couple of months
& would'nt you know it when i went on eBay to have a look , I saw this
Egmond guitar but bidding was ending in less than 1 minute. So i didnt have a real olt of time to think about it. I just thought O.K. bite the bullet & do it.

So any opinions?

Sorry about the quality of the pics but they are the actual eBay pics.
You can see some of the crazing in the nitrocelulose CooOO0OOooL

Oh here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320080927784&rd=1&rd=1
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I find her very pretty wish I could get her. I don't know much about jazz guitars sorry
Yes Tuek it sure looks the goods doesnt it. Just hope it plays like it looks. I saw it & thought O.K. no 'smoke-O' this week bummer. Ah well it is worth it. Just for the excitement value. Thats the best part about buying off of eBay. You get a 'buzz' when you win something , but you also get a 'buzz' when it arrives. When you buy something at the shop , you just get the 1 'buzz', plus it is delivered to your door, at hopefully a less price than you'd pay at the shop. Usually but not always , I have seen things go at ridiculose prices on eBay , up to twice what is being paid in the shop, so go figure.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
the tuners arn't great there the poor joint ones but i hope you enjoy hope it sounds good
phungar i thought the tuners looked crap as well , but im not going to change them till im sure it wont ruin its resale. I have a couple of sets of grovers (new) sitting round so ya never know

As soon as I get it I'll post my opinion. Here.
With some pics I'll take
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Yes Tuek it sure looks the goods doesnt it. Just hope it plays like it looks. I saw it & thought O.K. no 'smoke-O' this week bummer. Ah well it is worth it. Just for the excitement value. Thats the best part about buying off of eBay. You get a 'buzz' when you win something , but you also get a 'buzz' when it arrives. When you buy something at the shop , you just get the 1 'buzz', plus it is delivered to your door, at hopefully a less price than you'd pay at the shop. Usually but not always , I have seen things go at ridiculose prices on eBay , up to twice what is being paid in the shop, so go figure.

Lets hope you don't get any 'buzz' when you actually play it. I had a buzz on my guitar after i dropped it (the thing was also missing a string as i had snapped one and had no spares) Lucky when I replaced the strings it sorted itself out after a few hours.

Oh, and if you do stick a new pair of tuners on the guitar, use the gold ones IMO
johnos The gold tuners eh? I sort of liked the black but hey , i'm open to others ideas.
I really DON'T want to change the tuners. As this guitar is 40 years old (gee I was ten when it was made) i think when it is time for me to hang up my guitar i.e. when I die. I think it would be worth more to my kids if it is in original condition. Just hope the original tuners hold tune. Again it is all 'gris to the mill' untill i get it in my hot little hands , cant wait.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
My way of thinking is that if you did change the tuners then the gold tuners would ft in more with the whole imagine of the guitar. Black is too metalish. That guitar deserves something more old looking and stylish. For me gold looks more 'old' and would go so nicely with the sunburst.

Also, just to throw my opinion out again, If your going to be playing this guitar, then you should be looking at how well everything works, and if the tuners arnt up to scratch I would not hesitate to change them. But I'm no the sort of person who thinks about resale value anyway, I look at value to me, and usually dont plan on selling anything I buy.
Also, you could keep the old tuners, and stick them back on if you where to sell it if you thought you could get more money for it that way
I sure hope the neck isn't warped LOL

Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
DJaye I love that Hard Rock Pin way Cool
my pin has flashing lights Not Hard Rock though LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
i think Egmond stopped production at the end of the fifties so i could easily be 50 years old.

anyway i have an Egmond thats a 335 shape with one neck single coil pup.
its sturdy like runny poo (nice) but it does sound gorgeous.

anyway im 100% certain the neck of that will be impossible to play on without some serious work.i had to get a truss rod installed in mine.

it still wasnt perfect but now i play open G slide on it and its superb.

anyway mine cost about 40euro and another 20 to get it setup and truss rodded.

oh yeah Egmond is a dutch made guitar and apparently paul mc cartney used to play one when they were a small time group.

hope this info serves you well.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

buzz here is a page of a guy who actually has quite a few Egmonds, he also got to meet the son of the Egmond factory owner (they are out of buisness now) but the son runs a guitar shop in Holland & guess what he sells. You guessed it Egmonds. have a look at the link. I saw on another site Egmond guitars that looked similar to mine & was made in '67

http://home.wanadoo.nl/wimmarkenhof/enhome.html

Hey buzz i had a look back up the page at the pics of my Egmond & i noticed it has a Truss rod cover. So maybe it may allready have a truss rod. I know it has a micro tilt neck (Egmond version) here is the pic , i didnt include it earlier as to look at it without knowing what it is , you wouldnt think it was a neck angle vs body adjustment. It looks pritty rudimentry however the guy reckons it is functional & stable (more info when it actually arrives), probably next Thursday.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 23, 2007,
Just a note : Thanks to Wim Markenhof (Germany) link below, I have I.D.ed my
Egmond as a 'Kansas' S1 many thanks Wim.

Wim emailed me a couple of pages out of an Egmond catalogue.
here are the pics

Is anybody able to translate the Dutch text?
Oh the catalogues are from 1968 & 1969
but Wim seems to think mine is a 1967 model.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 24, 2007,
WOW! I had a Egmond acoustic once (mid 1970's) and never figured it was anything that might ever be considered valueable to anything approaching $400.
It was standard flat-top acoustic that I traded a another kid a couple of record albums for when I saw it in his closet.
I was a guitar newbie then and it replaced my 1st guitar, a RECCO tobacco sunburst F-hole that my dad bought me for my 10th B-day in 1969. I liked the Egmond because it seemed easier to play, but didn't regard it as anything of high quality.
It was stolen when I left it in a buddy's car I was riding in when it broke down and we walked for help.
How about giving me some Egmond history? Where were they made etc?
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
WOW! I had a Egmond acoustic once (mid 1970's) and never figured it was anything that might ever be considered valueable to anything approaching $400.
It was standard flat-top acoustic that I traded a another kid a couple of record albums for when I saw it in his closet.
I was a guitar newbie then and it replaced my 1st guitar, a RECCO tobacco sunburst F-hole that my dad bought me for my 10th B-day in 1969. I liked the Egmond because it seemed easier to play, but didn't regard it as anything of high quality.
It was stolen when I left it in a buddy's car I was riding in when it broke down and we walked for help.
How about giving me some Egmond history? Where were they made etc?

EL Conquestidor
Egmonds were made in Holland
a couple of the Beatles used them in the very , very early days.
I remember the name only because as a kid a local petrol station chain (1962) were giving out copies of a picture from a Beatles photo shoot (publicity shoot) as a precursor to the Beatles coming to Australia. As an impressionable 6 year old , I studied that picture in detail wondering at the artistic skill it must take to play guitar.
The thing that struck me most was the funny looking guitars, (as a 6 year old they looked funny).LOL Now i think they look fan - bloody - tastic Im 50 now.

Check out this guy's site i'll give you the link

He has some interesting stuff on Egmonds.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 25, 2007,
Well I cannot open the pictures. So I don't know if you are all talking about the real jazz guitars Egmond made........they built very nice ones. Have alook at my Egmond page Just google for Egmond guitars and you will find me.
Wim Markenhof