Page 1 of 2
what do you guys recon the ratio (in percentage) is of these factors concerning tone.

e.g. (these percentages are completely made up)

pickup=30%
wood=50%
amp=20%

im just wondering because i want to know what i should be most bothered about when buying my new guitar.

thanks in advance

-Brodo-
Amp definitely is the largest factor, not too sure about the wood and pickup ratio though.
The Stuff!
There are a lot of other factors which would change these but out of those 3:

Amp 60%
Pickup 30%
Wood 10%
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
^^^

Then why do you use a Behinger?

AMP=7%
Wood=2%
Pickup=2%
Whether you can actually play=90%

All the gear in the wold won't help if you can't play......

To answer you question honestly....whatever works for you is th best set up....gp try some amp/pickup/wood combonations at your local music store
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
Epiphone LP JR customized
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Marshall 1960a 4x12 with 75's
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Quote by thatguyaswell
^^^

AMP=7%
Wood=2%
Pickup=2%

All the gear in the wold won't help if you can't play......

To answer you question honestly....whatever works for you is th best set up....gp try some amp/pickup/wood combonations at your local music store

it might be because i have a family and a life and i cant blow all my money on a f*cking mesa rec....got it slappy?
I have a Behringer and I really like the tone. The cleans suck but the distortion is really good.
Moron I have 2 kids a family and a house too...look for a deal , I got my acoustic 150 head and Marshall 4x12 for $300...but don't tell a guy his amp is most impotantant when you play a cheap behinger...cuz you wouldn't know

K "slappy"
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Most important equipment for a behinger user would be a amp simulator (like POD) and effects boxes
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
well.....why dont you just take all that fancy-ass gear and shove it up your yuppy ass?......the thread starter asked a question and i answered it.......god i hate fags like you
I like my Berhinger amp because I don't need a distortion pedal as it's already heavy enough. Then again what I think is a good tone others may hate
Someone is touchy....Yuppy? Ha thats funny I am the farthest thing from that...anyway dude fact is if you on a Behinger you wouldn't know better...and other buddy who plays behinger...try some other amps, they will blow you away if you think Behinger is good...try Line 6, can get ome well priced amps kill.....

Terry...first rule of thumb when buying gear...DONT LOOK AT THE PRICE TAG, play it, if it sounds good use it...as far as the fag comment, I am not the one with the pic of a clown who looks like he is getting it up the ass....self potrait?
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
how much would you say having an acriylic body would affect the tone, based on the fact you dudes dont seem to think the wood is as much as an important factor compared to pickups and amp.
basically what im asking is if an acriylic bodyied guitar with some brilliant pickups and a great amp would be anygood.
when i need your advice on gear choices ill just come to your house and shove your fancy ass BC RICH up your yuppy ass to the third fret.....i happen to like my amp, and if you dont?...what makes you think i give a f*ck?.....
The wood has a lot to do with the warmth and sustain....mahoganny will hold a note longer then maple...just look at the sound diff between a Strat and a Les paul....Arcylic I have never used, I have see Joe Perry and Dave Grohl use one, I would think it would take away from the sustain but really don't know...go to the music store...try a wod body and a acrylic one, use the same amp/effects setup for both and then you'll know for sure
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Where as I agree with you on the modern BC rich's....mine is early production BIG difference
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
and I customized mine with new pips, machine head, a bad ass bridge (yes that is the brand) as well as electronics, i even refinished it...
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Quote by thatguyaswell
and I customized mine with new pips, machine head, a bad ass bridge (yes that is the brand) as well as electronics, i even refinished it...

would you like a cookie for that?
Terry I checked out your my space, you seem like a cranky wanker...from WANKER too...enough said? If you like your Behinger all the power to you, but don't commment that amp is most important when it obviously wasn't to you when you purchased a behinger

I also play other guitars than my BC rich....and you play metal too? God you wold droll over my mocking bird...every death metal guy I know loves it!
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
sound cool.
i like the look of bcriches but i tryed a NJ mockingbird or something and i didnt like it.
i dont know why it just didnt feel right. prsonal preerance i guess
Quote by brodo
sound cool.
i like the look of bcriches but i tryed a NJ mockingbird or something and i didnt like it.
i dont know why it just didnt feel right. prsonal preerance i guess

They do have thinner necks and I think the scale is not exactly the same as a LP....with all my guitars I do some customizing to make it feel right

TERRY-Didn' you give Stace the last cookie?
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
im sure many people will agree with me that your TONE comes mostly from the amp, so what if mine sounds like a monkey f*cking a football, that still doesnt change the fact that tone mostly comes from amps and your a idiot and a know-it-all assh*le
See that other knob on your guitar? NO not the Volume one or the knob whos holding it, the other knob...TONE...turn it and see what it does? Tone is a combination of factors....amps making a large portion, the knobs on your guitar (including the one holding it) the wood, the pick up, effects AND HEY heres another factor, the room you are playing in

I will let the masses correct you further
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Quote by thatguyaswell
See that other knob on your guitar? NO not the Volume one or the knob whos holding it, the other knob...TONE...turn it and see what it does? Tone is a combination of factors....amps making a large portion, the knobs on your guitar (including the one holding it) the wood, the pick up, effects AND HEY heres another factor, the room you are playing in

I will let the masses correct you further

YOU ARE A TOTAL F*CKING IDIOT
Quote by thatguyaswell
Someone is touchy....Yuppy? Ha thats funny I am the farthest thing from that...anyway dude fact is if you on a Behinger you wouldn't know better...and other buddy who plays behinger...try some other amps, they will blow you away if you think Behinger is good...try Line 6, can get ome well priced amps kill.....

Terry...first rule of thumb when buying gear...DONT LOOK AT THE PRICE TAG, play it, if it sounds good use it...as far as the fag comment, I am not the one with the pic of a clown who looks like he is getting it up the ass....self potrait?

You have probably played 1 cheap Berhinger combo and are basing your entire opion of that maufacturer on that. I have a Marshall MG which is the worst amp I've ever played but it doesn't mean all Marshall's are crap, just that some of the lower end ones aren't very good.
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
You have probably played 1 cheap Berhinger combo and are basing your entire opion of that maufacturer on that. I have a Marshall MG which is the worst amp I've ever played but it doesn't mean all Marshall's are crap, just that some of the lower end ones aren't very good.

Oh I agree there are some shitty Marshalls, I had one! VS100...should be a POS100...I have tried a few behingers, and sorry they such...behinger is a company trying to copy Line 6 with lower quality everything....but my point remains the same, don't comment that amps make the biggest difference when you play the Pinto of amps

TERRY...dude you are from Wanker, doesn't mean you gotta be one....MORON, go give stace another cookie
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Quote by Cecil Gonzales

There are no Higher end Behingers
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Quote by brodo

Heres the prob with buying cheper stuff (like 49$ guitars) the neck warps wuickly,bindings and inlays are usually not very well manug=factured and come apart easily but mainly the pups will go microphonic real quick...in other words you will squeal and feedback more than you play...my suggestion, if its only $50 buy it and replace the hardware and pups....then se what you think....the purple acrylic does look cool, I am not a big fan of the strat style but that is cosmetic and personal pref.
BC Rich Mocking bird
Ibanez Artcore
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
Anyway. . on topic. . .

IMO you should just try a guitar and an amp, not bothering about woods and pickups and wattage and whatever, just find a guitar and amp that YOU like toghether, then from that build up, decide which pickups you think is good with that and which settings are good, what effects it needs.
IMO Guitar and Amp are 50/50 importance, just get stuff YOU think sounds good, regardless of its percentage of whatever you're rating.
Quote by thatguyaswell
Heres the prob with buying cheper stuff (like 49$ guitars) the neck warps wuickly,bindings and inlays are usually not very well manug=factured and come apart easily but mainly the pups will go microphonic real quick...in other words you will squeal and feedback more than you play...my suggestion, if its only $50 buy it and replace the hardware and pups....then se what you think....the purple acrylic does look cool, I am not a big fan of the strat style but that is cosmetic and personal pref.

first its £49 not $49. second the advice you gave me, although i greatly apriciate, i already wrote it all. basically you just said what i did in my last post.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Anyway. . on topic. . .

IMO you should just try a guitar and an amp, not bothering about woods and pickups and wattage and whatever, just find a guitar and amp that YOU like toghether, then from that build up, decide which pickups you think is good with that and which settings are good, what effects it needs.
IMO Guitar and Amp are 50/50 importance, just get stuff YOU think sounds good, regardless of its percentage of whatever you're rating.

i am going to get the guitar i want but not if its gonna sound like shit because of what its made from. if i can make it sound good with new p'ups and put a neck i really like on then thatll be great, but if its gonna sound terrible just for the sake of looks then im not gonna bother.
Quote by thatguyaswell
^^^

AMP=7%
Wood=2%
Pickup=2%

Thats 101%

He may use a Behringer, but at least he can do maths
Shut up, thatguyaswell, you're being a ****ing elitist...
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
as long as you have a guitar that is working, playable and has correct intonation, i would say that buying a nice amp will improve your tone the most. however it is your tone is much greater than the sum of its parts. I used to search for the best tone, but then i found out it was as simple as plugging straight in to a tube amp.
Page 1 of 2