So i have been looking for a new amp forever, and i was wondering how much changing the tubes, and speaker to a amp will affect its sound. I was thinking about getting a DSL 401 and changing the Speaker to a Celestion v30, and putting EL34's in it. Do you think this would help it sound a little more vintage, and not so modern? Thanks
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
it would help a little, but i think around here the amount of difference tubes make is highly overstated. It will still be pretty modern sounding.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
A speaker change will alter the tone, but a Vintage 30 is in actuality a very modern sounding speaker. I'd suggest a G12h30 or a Weber Silver bell, both are more vintage.

And you couldn't change the tubes to EL34s without completely rewiring the amp.
Yeah i know id have to rewire, and i meant a g12h30, i dont know why i said v30.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
I'd strongly suggest against rewiring it for EL34s. You'd have to get new transformers and drill the chassis, at which point you're better off buying or building a new amp. Not to mention that 4xEl34s would net you 100 watts, which would blow out almost any speaker you put in there since it's a 1-speaker cab.

For a more vintage sound, how about an EQ or some lower output pickups?
There's nothing telling you you'd have to put in all four EL34's. You could put in just two and easily be within spec. I'm not too sure about the stock tranny on the DSL, but it might be able to supply the added current.

Edit: That being said, I wouldn't suggest it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's