hey...i have been playing guitar for about 1.5 years now and im having a bit of trouble with speed picking and shredding...im having some trouble trying to play some of the fills in crazy train and some solos that trivium play...got any suggestions on how i can improve playing faster?
Find yourself...just start smelling!
practice slower make sure all the notes are right then slowly speed it up.
in other words scale and a metronome..
I think you were discussing taking speed when playing guitar!

The Trick is to indeed practise slowly and accurately and gently speed it up (and know it off by heart as well!)
Quote by crzywhiteboy
practice slower make sure all the notes are right then slowly speed it up.
in other words scale and a metronome..

sorry but i got no idea what scale and a metronome is
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar - by Troy Stetina.

That's a great book
praactice make perfect i had the same problem a couple of days ago and i just play the riff nonstop until i memorized the note by heart then i slowly start ed to go faster
Quote by zerohero
praactice make perfect i had the same problem a couple of days ago and i just play the riff nonstop until i memorized the note by heart then i slowly start ed to go faster

and can you play the riff perfect now?
Quote by PureIronMaiden
always keep your hand on the guitar, dont let your hand in the air. you wont get speed.

Don't listen to him/her, you pick faster when your hand is free floating than if you're anchoring it to the guitar.
^ ok, lets not start a anchor vs unanchor thread theres already one in here somewhere. somebody already pretty much stated what needed to be done, practice alot!!! play it slowly till it sounds good then up the bpm a little and practice it, do that till you hit the plateau of what sounds good then work your way up from there. a metronome or drum machine will help you keep good time. also let it be noted, you've only been playing for a year and a half, i don't know how fast you can play but it may be a little while longer before you can really start to pick up speed effortlessly. if it feels like you're pushing yourself too hard/straining to get the riff out right you're probably going about it the wrong way. remember it should feel effortless.
just practice scales,chromatics and arpeggios VERY,VERY,VERY slo to a metronome
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Quote by t.t deville
sorry but i got no idea what scale and a metronome is

I think before you can even begin to hope to play fast with ease, you really need to
cover some basic groundwork. You might be thinking once you know a trick or two
and put in some practice time you'll get the whole speed thing down. Unless
you're very very exceptionally naturally talented (if you were you wouldn't be asking
this here), you're not going to find any shortcuts. Other than that you can just keep
trying to play those tabs as fast as you can and hope for the best.
I can only tell you your picking hand is slow. Not theother one, practise will make perfect.
Quote by p2fyre
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar - by Troy Stetina.

That's a great book

Seconded. Get it and be saved. ^^
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!