I've been looking for a nice fretless bass for the past month, only to come up empty-handed... No music store in my area stock them, so the only way to get one is by special order. Thats a major problem, being that I like to be able to try it out before I buy it, just to make sure it has the sound I want.
So, anybody out there experienced in fretlesses to tell me what I need?
you need an MIM Fender Fretless Jazz

heres mine the tone is fantastic and it plays great, i was a little nervous about mine cause it was used but its still incredible. if your going to go fretless - get a fender jazz.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Does that fretless guitar still have markings where the frets would be? It kinda looks like it still has frets, but thats probably those markings

Oh and hey, you can probably talk some stores like guitar center into ordering guitars for you to try out at their store
my bassist has the warwick corvette fretless bass

it plays beautifully and it sounds great
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
yea it has fretlines, and the warwick is great too, as heavy as my mother, and expensive, but really good, fender fretless MIM is cheaper and lighter and has an awsome tone.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by rage6945
my bassist has the warwick corvette fretless bass

it plays beautifully and it sounds great

Man I would love to have one of those. Every time I go to Guitar Center I go to play on it, its just so sexy. Alas, I don't have any $ for it . A MIM fretless would probably be a good buy judging on past experience with that line.
Right now I'm looking at the schecter studio 4 fretless. I just cant find anywhere that stocks them.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Well, Does anybody have any sound files so I can get an idea of if any are my kind of sound?
Another vote for the Corvette. I was lucky enough to pick up the active model for $500 (used, but in almost perfect condition and with a hardcase). Unbelievable tone and playability. It is the nicest fretless bass that I have ever played. You probably won't find another deal like I got but if you're willing to shell out the cash you won't be disappointed.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
i would kill for a fretless thumb to go with my fretted thumb
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
i love how warwicks sound. but they're f*cking ugly.

i say MIM Jazz and take the pickgaurd off.... Jaco!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Doodleface

Warwick's are gods gift to bassists. I think Warwicks look right nifty.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

What is wrong with the way Warwicks look, other than the soon to come and always inevitable penis joke that is brought up whenever a corvette or thumb is mentioned, most of them don't look half bad. The streamers look nice and some of their custom shop shit is beautiful. At least their body designs are original and when it comes down to it is not how the bass looks anyway it is how it sounds.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
well, I guess that warwick wins the vote. I'll have to check that out then... not to mention start saving up my money...
Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Definatly go for the warwick, keep your eye out on any music shops anywhere near you for a sale, I was lucky enough to find my local warwick dealer had 30% off all warwick basses + 7 Free sets of strings
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
I tried an MIJ Jaco Copy, and it was amazing, great tone and played really nicely, although the harmonics on it weren't too good, but I didn't get that long to try it.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Carvin makes a NICE fretless bass and you can get it in a sweet custom color, with custom woods, finishes and with all sorts of additional embellishments. I highly recommend the LB-70F from them. It is reasonably priced, and you will not regret buying it. It is a well made bass and the neck is better than many basses costing twice or three times as much. Go to carvin.com and check it out. Heck, you can even get them in 5 or 6 strings if you really wanted.

You can also do a Google search "craigslist carvin LB-70F" and see what you can find in the continental US. It will be used, but will be much cheaper than what they go for new.

I own an all-mahogany LB-70F from Carvin, with gold hardware, phase switch, J pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, Straploks, with tung oil finish on the body and back of the neck. The fingerboard is ebony with fret markers. I have an older one which has the Wilkinson bridge--it allows an additional bridge saddle to just slide in to make it a 5 string. With a new nut and a Wilkinson 4 to 5 string converter, it is now a 5 string bass without the bulky 5 string neck!

I also have recently sent off a bass to H G Thor, which takes regular fretted basses and converts them over to fretless with a glass-like epoxy surface on the fingerboard. Just send in your fretted bass and have them do the rest. I sent in a fretless (I made it fretless with inlaid markers) Dearmond Starfire bass and am waiting for it to come back. It will look and sound phenomenal. It has also been converted to a 5 string bass.

Good luck in your search!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Last edited by jaco de lucia at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by epy
you need an MIM Fender Fretless Jazz
heres mine the tone is fantastic and it plays great, i was a little nervous about mine cause it was used but its still incredible. if your going to go fretless - get a fender jazz.

Quote by epy
Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz

I second this. A lot. Look at that sexy brown sunburst with the black pickguard:

It also sounds damn nice, and plays (for some strage ass reason) comfortably even for me (I can't play a fretted Fender to save my life, but have little trouble with this one). My only problem with it is the bridge, but its a Fender bridge, so thats to be expected. If I ever have the money to spare I'm sticking a BadAss on it. The stock bridge is somewhat lacking in sustain.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I gotta say, I can't stand how fret lines look, fretless basses look so damn pimp normally, the lines ruin the pimp factor for an hour or so off the learning curve.

With that said, I'm suprised none of your local stores have fretlesses in stock, but my favorite fretless has been the Fretless Warwick Corvette. Such a warm, thick, smooth tone. It just begs to be played. If you can get it and don't mind a bit of weight in trade for amazing tone I would definately suggest getting it.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^the problem is most people need them to learn proper placement on the fingerboard. Eventually you can switch to a bare fingerboard, but if its your first fretless, its usually a good idea to get a lined one.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
^the problem is most people need them to learn proper placement on the fingerboard. Eventually you can switch to a bare fingerboard, but if its your first fretless, its usually a good idea to get a lined one.

Yeah, I understand the practical aspect of it. I just think it's a real crime to such a potentially beautiful instrument to have little useless strips all over it. Side line markers do just the same, hell you can even use tape until you're used to it to ease the transition.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Eh, to each their own. Sure some fretless basses look far better without the lines, but I think the Fender J would look damn funny with a bare fingerboard.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
well, personally i'd have to go with UndeadPaperclip on the subject of the fingerboard lines... it looks way better without em
^ you could do the old strings players trick and put tape where the frets would be and take them off later
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
breedlove makes an acoustic fretless bass. i about crapped myself when i played it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it