I have this Fender Precision Bass. I know nothing about it only that it was bought new about 30-35 years ago. I think its made in America but I'm not sure. Could anyone give me some information and tell me if its worth anything?

Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
you could look on the headstock to see if it says made in america or whatever. It looks like it says something under fender on the head but I can't read it from the picture. It's got wear so i'm not sure what it's worth(unless it came from a famous musician), but it is definately bad ass. I'd put it in the keeper pile.
its 70's anyway cos you can tell by the headstock decal.

other than that ill need to know the serial number to help you out.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The serial number is 633512
Quote by ToffeeandApples

Hell Yeah
Damn, I wish I had cool old stuff just lying around the house...
for rent
If that is the correct serial number, it was made in 1976.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Is that the neck plate serial number? If so, your bass could quite possibly be from the mid 60's. Also, I can't see the pics, I don't know what's up there.
Quote by Bumper
Is that the neck plate serial number? If so, your bass could quite possibly be from the mid 50's. Also, I can't see the pics, I don't know what's up there.

Yeah, thats the neck plate serial number. Its under the "F" Fender logo.
Quote by ToffeeandApples

Hell Yeah
Quote by ibanezrg350ex
The serial number is 633512

Based on Serial Number it puts it around a 1976 or 1977.
Should say Made in USA if it is an American P-Bass.
Best way to validate is to remove the neck and check the heel
and pocket of the body. It should be written on there.
Jamler3
Quote by canadianpunk071
If that is the correct serial number, it was made in 1976.

yup
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Yeah, late 70s were some of the worst Fenders ever made. Still, hang on to that thing. With some cleaning up and care, it'll play and sound great. And it'll appreciate in value (although it doesn't look like all original parts, which lowers the value).
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Quote by canadianpunk071
Yeah, late 70s were some of the worst Fenders ever made. Still, hang on to that thing. With some cleaning up and care, it'll play and sound great. And it'll appreciate in value (although it doesn't look like all original parts, which lowers the value).

To my knowledge, its all original except for the end of the pickgaurd that was broken off some how so it was replaced with some type of metal cut to that shape.
Quote by ToffeeandApples

Hell Yeah
Quote by ibanezrg350ex
To my knowledge, its all original except for the end of the pickgaurd that was broken off some how so it was replaced with some type of metal cut to that shape.

Yeah, from the photos the bridge doesn't look stock either, but I can't tell from that alone. Just looks unnaturally clean
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

So does anyone know around what this might be worth?
Quote by ToffeeandApples

Hell Yeah
Quote by 7PlaGues
An original mid to late 70s USA bass is averaging about 960-1400, depending on condition and originality.

Okay, thanks. And btw, nice drums, they kick my drums ass
Quote by ToffeeandApples

Hell Yeah
Nicely mojo'd. Well it is true that CBS owned Fender started to cut back on QC in the late seventies, I'm not sure this process had fully kicked in by 1976. You have the pre-S serial numbers ones, which some Fender collectors look for.

Some people hold early-80s Fenders to be terrible. But like anything, it is in the "ear" of the beholder.

Definitely keep it for as long as you can, the value will appreciate. Take it to a good bass luthier who will be able to determine the originality of it all.

The wear looks sexy!

I myself bought a Fender Precision '77, but purely to sell on. (Going dead cheap!). The tone was so amazing, I was half tempted to keep it!

Though a warning... old basses tend to have neck problems. The one I bought had a quite S bend in the neck. In order to get maximum playability, you may have to invest a bit of TLC (and money) into. Like I said, take it into a luthier who will be able to advise you best.