Ok so what is the difference between all of these.........i like the type that todays pop-punk bands use......i know your gonna say its crap tone but its mostly what i like as in the guitar tone in MCR Black Parade Album, or Even FOBS new ION Album which is a improvement btw. So which amp settings am I and what amps should i look into?
What questions are you looking to have answered? The one in your title or the questions in the paragraph above?

I'm going to answer the title question:

Distortion is the sound you hear when audio signal clipping occurs. In musical jargon, it's the tone generated from an overdriven solid state system.

Overdrive is the process of increasing the dynamic range of an audio single until signal clipping occurs. In musical jargon, it's the tone generated from an overdriven Tube/Valve system (generally by overdriving the power tubes).

Gain is the volumn of the pre-amp stage of an amplifier. In electronics, it is defined as the ratio between the signal output and the signal input of an electrical system.

Crunch is an anemonopia(sp) for a particular characteristic of a guitar tone.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Feb 20, 2007,
The actual guitar makes a lot of difference, I know the guys from MCR use mostly Les Pauls.

I would get a distortion pedal (boss-1) the orange one is decent, and just play with the settings and see what you like.
ok thanks guys i know it was a shady question sorry......... can you guys give like examples of the different sounds??? like this band uses this and such??