i broke my leg on saturday and i just got back from the hospital. it's a pretty bad break (spiral frature). i'm going to have a cast for a minimum of 3 months, crutches for quite a bit longer and my leg won't fully heal for about a year.

anyway, i'm in a full cast so i can't bend my leg at all. so far simple things have been pretty difficult. i need advice from anyone who has been in the same position. please post tips on anything from bathing to putting clothes on. thanks a lot.

oh, and i live in a student house (different country from my family so no help available there), my room is on the 3rd floor and my bed is up a ladder. fffffffuuuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkk.
I'll help! *Kicks leg*
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Quote by Atreideslegend
get a helper monkey

I want your monkey
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
lol like the person above said its best to bye a helper monkey and call it bobo
People are strange..
when your a stranger...
ask the dude on the bottom bunk to switch with you for a while
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
fell off the roof of my house...could have been a lot worse had i not hit the wheeley bins before i hit the ground.

by the way, i had a search on the internet to see if i could find any helpful information and every site seemed to assume i had a wheelchair, a permanent carer and a bunch of hospital equipment......in other words some tips from someone who has been in the same position as me would be really appreciated.
i broke my ankle on the 31st of janruary...so i can kinda help..

my cast goes up to above my knee...with crutches, remember, take it slow to start off with.Wear gloves, like weight lifting gloves to prevent strain or blisters in your hands..make sure when you arent on your crutches, you know where they are....have a bottle or some other type of water carrying device near you for the night when you need to pee if you wake up...trust me, thats a lifesaver...

get one of those shoe things that you can put on the bottom of your cast to make sure you dont crack/damage it...erm, dont get it wet, as i am sure you have already been told...

you can buy a bathsock type thing for bathing, as i am guessing you cant put weight on it so quickly..and you wont be for a while..

thats what my lower leg looks like, its an odd ankle, but my camera is at my knee, and you can kinda see it from there...

thats my bathsock, basically, on the right, the rubber seal goes around above my knee, its very important that this is properly sealed, otherwise water can get in. it should seal by itself, buts its always good to run your finger around the rim to make sure. another good way to check, is, if you can reach, squeeze the lower end of it, and if air is escaping (the sock deflating is a sign of this) then you need to lift it out of the water, because with these, if air can get out water can get in.

that basically alot of the help i can give you there mate, feel free to PM me if you need any more help, and i shall see what i can do

get well soon
Quote by agreth_3rd
fell off the roof of my house...could have been a lot worse had i not hit the wheeley bins before i hit the ground.

At least it happened in a hilarious manner

Praise wheelie bins.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Saje
ask the dude on the bottom bunk to switch with you for a while

it's no bunk though. my room has a built in bathroom so i built a bed on the roof of it (for more space).
and assuming you have some friends (who arent assholes), ask them for a little bit of help for a little while until you get used to your situation. And I suggest getting the crutches with the fuzzy bit around the part that goes under your arm, because if you have the gray rubbery kind then it can give you a really bad burning rash that kills if you have a hot shower/bath.

EDIT: ^^^ Oh dude that sucks then. Good luck with that, and if there's anyway to bring the bed on the floor then do that. A few months of comfort is worth an hour of putting the bed back up.
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Last edited by Saje at Feb 20, 2007,
what u got a toilet under ur bed???
thats awesome! Ya wudn't have to get up in the morning!!
haha, there's a pretty thick roof between my bed and the bathroom.

and yeah my mates have been a great help so far but i really don't want to have to rely on them for too much.
Quote by Slinov
i broke my ankle on the 31st of janruary...so i can kinda help..

my cast goes up to above my knee...with crutches, remember, take it slow to start off with.Wear gloves, like weight lifting gloves to prevent strain or blisters in your hands..make sure when you arent on your crutches, you know where they are....have a bottle or some other type of water carrying device near you for the night when you need to pee if you wake up...trust me, thats a lifesaver...

get one of those shoe things that you can put on the bottom of your cast to make sure you dont crack/damage it...erm, dont get it wet, as i am sure you have already been told...

you can buy a bathsock type thing for bathing, as i am guessing you cant put weight on it so quickly..and you wont be for a while..

thats what my lower leg looks like, its an odd ankle, but my camera is at my knee, and you can kinda see it from there...

thats my bathsock, basically, on the right, the rubber seal goes around above my knee, its very important that this is properly sealed, otherwise water can get in. it should seal by itself, buts its always good to run your finger around the rim to make sure. another good way to check, is, if you can reach, squeeze the lower end of it, and if air is escaping (the sock deflating is a sign of this) then you need to lift it out of the water, because with these, if air can get out water can get in.

that basically alot of the help i can give you there mate, feel free to PM me if you need any more help, and i shall see what i can do

get well soon

cheers mate, really useful info
You'll get the hang of caring for yourself soon enough. The biggest problem is gonna be that you're constantly bored and you options on what to do are limited. Get some good books and spend more time on guitar. Might as well, right?
yeah, i will be reading/playing guitar/watching dvds/browsing internet a whole lot more......it's just gonna be painful when my mates are out partying or playing footy and i'm stuck at home haha.

on another note, if i could touch my toes/had much better flexibility in general, this would be a hell of a lot easier.
Quote by Slinov

I'm happy that UG's Blue ranger got an appropriate cast

But seriously, hope you all get better soon.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
I'm happy that UG's Blue ranger got an appropriate cast

But seriously, hope you all get better soon.

haha

thankyou

and one thing you defintley get to do, is play guitar...but the problem is, its hard to get comfortable
I had a full leg cast before. For the bathing, the best thing to do is just buy a sponge and sit on the edge of the tub. Wrap a garbage bag around the top of the cast so it doesnt get wet. There is nothing worse than a wet cast, you get fungi and a bunch of skin problems.

As for crutches, make sure you are using them right. You aren't meant to have them up in your arm pits when you're walking. They should be a few inches below them. This way you won't rub your arm pits raw.

I can't think of much else. A comfortable back pack that you wear 99% of the time wouldn't be a bad investment.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I didn't break my leg or require a cast or anything, but I couldn't put any weight on it or anything, so it was kind of the same situation. What I did, was either roll around in my computer chair, hop on one leg, or use my crutches. For showers, I just sat down. It's nice, actually. It gets pretty cozy down there with water falling over top you.

When I broke my arm, I just got a waterproof cast. Can you get that for your leg?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
i broke my foot skateboarding two months ago in 4 places and tore a bunch of ligiments so i know how you feel. for the crutches they have these kinda fuzzy things that go on the part taht goes under ur arms. you might want to get that because when i had my crutches it made al these burns under my arm. the bath sock works good so you should get one of those. I still can;t do aynything for two weeks so just play guitar to pass the time
Quote by greendayguitar
For showers, I just sat down. It's nice, actually. It gets pretty cozy down there with water falling over top you

Ive had some good wanking sessions like that my friend
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
well i broke my iliac wing (pelvic bone above hip) last wednesday the 14th and i have the same prognosis as you... except they can't give me a cast, so if i move the wrong way it hurts like a biotch. when you get in the shower, if there is like a ledge you can't step over, put a chair in front of the shower and pull your legs over.

what sucks is you can't carry anything.

and also when you change, just put your feet over the pants and slide them up. if you can't bend (sometimes i am too sore to) just lift your good leg up and put your leg through than pull the other from the ground.

tylenol gets rid of the pain. and never stay alone unless you have a phone.

EDIT: whatever you do, do not lean on your crutches with your armpits! always your arm! you can get sore quick or worse, damage a nerve. put your weight on your good leg and your hands

sucks to be you or me mate.
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I saw them on that documentary, Jurassic Park. They walked around and ate electric fences and people.
Last edited by mattfm at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by fronkpies
Ive had some good wanking sessions like that my friend

That's what lead to it being so cozy
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by mattfm
and also when you change, just put your feet over the pants and slide them up. if you can't bend (sometimes i am too sore to) just lift your good leg up and put your leg through than pull the other from the ground.

firstly, i can only stand on one foot because i can't put any pressure on my broken leg. secondly, there's no way for me to reach down over the toes of my broken leg because it's kept straight from the full cast and i'm not flexible enough to touch my toes. so far i've been using a hook i made from a coat hanger to drag my shorts over my legs (seriously this is all i can do right now), and although it's semi-working, it's very inefficient and frustrating.

Quote by greendayguitar
For showers, I just sat down. It's nice, actually. It gets pretty cozy down there with water falling over top you.

i'm not able to sit down. i'm not flexible enough to sit on the ground comfortably with my broken leg out straight in front of me. it's even hard to feel comfortable on a couch without laying across it.

cheers for the suggestions