I've got a bit more money to spend on a head now, so I'm looking at three options:

Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Engl Powerball

Peavey 6505

Cleans aren't really a big deal for me, so I'm pretty much looking for really heavy distortion, I'm looking for a metal/metalcore tone. I've looked around in threads here and stuff, and I've tried out the single rec and 6505 and listened to clips of the powerball, and they all sound pretty good (with the exception of the 6505, but I think that was due to tubes etc. in the shop).

I know it's all down to personal opinion, but just wanted to get some feedback on the three amps, their pros, cons etc.

Thanks a lot.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by the_astronaut
I've got a bit more money to spend on a head now, so I'm looking at three options:

Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Engl Powerball

Peavey 6505

Cleans aren't really a big deal for me, so I'm pretty much looking for really heavy distortion, I'm looking for a metal/metalcore tone. I've looked around in threads here and stuff, and I've tried out the single rec and 6505 and listened to clips of the powerball, and they all sound pretty good (with the exception of the 6505, but I think that was due to tubes etc. in the shop).

I know it's all down to personal opinion, but just wanted to get some feedback on the three amps, their pros, cons etc.

Thanks a lot.

Recto. I can guarantee you'll get a metalcore tone from the recto pretty quickly. I don't even own one so don't take my opinion straight away :P
yep i'd say the rectifier for metalcore, look at metallica.
but again i dont own one so dont take my word for it
I owned all three (recto, 5150, powerball)

I had to sell one. I sold the recto. It didn't stack up to the other two amps...

As far as tone goes, a 5150 is a pretty standard Hardcore/Metalcore amplifier, alot of bands use them with great success. It doesn't have alot of options but that's because most people who are looking for that tone aren't looking for anything but balls-out distortion.

Personally I think that if you're looking at such a wide variety of amplifiers you need to do a bit of tonal soul-searching before you make the choice. It looks like you really don't quite know what you want yet.. save your money and keep an open mind to tone and you might come out more satisfied than if you were to rush out and buy one of these amplifiers on impulse just to finally have one. I waited and it was definitely worth it.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I owned all three (recto, 5150, powerball)

I had to sell one. I sold the recto. It didn't stack up to the other two amps...

As far as tone goes, a 5150 is a pretty standard Hardcore/Metalcore amplifier, alot of bands use them with great success. It doesn't have alot of options but that's because most people who are looking for that tone aren't looking for anything but balls-out distortion.

Personally I think that if you're looking at such a wide variety of amplifiers you need to do a bit of tonal soul-searching before you make the choice. It looks like you really don't quite know what you want yet.. save your money and keep an open mind to tone and you might come out more satisfied than if you were to rush out and buy one of these amplifiers on impulse just to finally have one. I waited and it was definitely worth it.

That was actually really helpful advice, thank you. I guess I should go and try them again, but it's getting the chance, no where around here stocks any of those amps, I actually had to try the 5150/6505 in London, a good hour and a half away.

Can I ask why you sold the rec? Did you personally not like it?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Quote by Slayer2655
yep i'd say the rectifier for metalcore, look at metallica.
yes, because metallica are so metalcore
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by the_astronaut
That was actually really helpful advice, thank you. I guess I should go and try them again, but it's getting the chance, no where around here stocks any of those amps, I actually had to try the 5150/6505 in London, a good hour and a half away.

Can I ask why you sold the rec? Did you personally not like it?

Well I bought all 3 amps within a year's time. I played around with them alot and stuff until I graduated and decided to take a break from work, quit my job and had some fun. When the time came to get a car I had to get rid of one amp (because I got ripped off on a guitar and paypal laughed in my face for it)

So I had a choice between selling my ENGL, 5150 and Recto. The recto was easily the first choice because of its sheer inflexibility. after a year or so of owning it I could only dial in a handful of tones which I enjoyed, and even then they A: Weren't my style (like a clean/bluegrass tone or a fuzz tone. doesn't help in a death metal band) or B: Weren't stacking up to the tones which I got from my other amps (straight up clean or balls out distortion)

People will argue alot when there are complaints about mesa and their tone. They say it takes weeks, months, even a year to dial in your Mesa perfectly. I don't believe that you should have to spend months playing your amp to find a good tone. I plugged in my ENGL or my Peavey and got great tones within minutes and I still continue to find even more as I play them to this day. Seems like some kind of fishy rationalization for a poor purchase and blind fanboyism to me..
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well I bought all 3 amps within a year's time. I played around with them alot and stuff until I graduated and decided to take a break from work, quit my job and had some fun. When the time came to get a car I had to get rid of one amp (because I got ripped off on a guitar and paypal laughed in my face for it)

So I had a choice between selling my ENGL, 5150 and Recto. The recto was easily the first choice because of its sheer inflexibility. after a year or so of owning it I could only dial in a handful of tones which I enjoyed, and even then they A: Weren't my style (like a clean/bluegrass tone or a fuzz tone. doesn't help in a death metal band) or B: Weren't stacking up to the tones which I got from my other amps (straight up clean or balls out distortion)

People will argue alot when there are complaints about mesa and their tone. They say it takes weeks, months, even a year to dial in your Mesa perfectly. I don't believe that you should have to spend months playing your amp to find a good tone. I plugged in my ENGL or my Peavey and got great tones within minutes and I still continue to find even more as I play them to this day. Seems like some kind of fishy rationalization for a poor purchase and blind fanboyism to me..

That info is even helpful for me, thanks

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
That info is even helpful for me, thanks

I'm not really saying the rectifier is bad, but I'd rather have an amp that I personally can plug into right away and have a tone that I enjoy. I don't want to have to add any effects or extra EQs or anything to my tone just to get a great sound in my opinion. I don't think I should have to have anyone else dial my effects in for me, either.

If anything, the recto is okay but overpriced. Definitely not the right amp for me, either.
ok thanks dude
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Again, thanks a lot, I really appreciate your opinion.

Sucks about paypal, I thought they were usually pretty helpful?

+sorry if you've answered this before, but what kind of music do you play? I think I have an idea, because I think I've seen you around the forums, but yeah.

EDIT: sorry, you said you were in a death metal band, but do you play any other styles? I'm guessing the powerball is more versatile?

Quote by ETHANEVIL