Rather than a "name your favourite word" thread, what are some words which are obscure, but are interesting nonetheless? Don't simply say the word, give its meaning, and perhaps create a sentence showing its use. Of course, some words will be familiar to you if you read into certain subjects, so I mean obscure in a general sense.

Some words I like:

Pollex - The innermost digit of the fore-limbs (in humans it's the thumb).

"Winston was overwhelmed with pleasure as his pollex rubbed his bollocks."

Serendipity - Making beneficial discoveries by chance (e.g. Alexander Fleming's discovery of particular moulds being antibiotic).

"Winston made the serendipitous discovery that sneezing whilst urinating induced ejaculation." (Not true, incase anyone is tempted to ask).

Defenestration - The act of throwing someone or something from a window.

"Having urinated on his couch for the third time that day, Winston defenestrated his cat."

Do you watch Richard and Judy this evening too then?
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Badreligionrock
Do you watch Richard and Judy this evening too then?

No. I rarely watch television at all, and when I do, I don't watch them. What was on there?
Ah bugger. They had this game where they had two people on the street with two different definitions for an odd word, and Richard and Judy faced off against a couple of comedians and guessed which was the correct definition. Very like the old television show which I can't remember the name of, but it had that lesbian comic as one of the leaders of the panel.

As for words...I'll choose a french one - Beur, which means second generation North African immigrant.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
^Call My Bluff?

Why would Winston, presumably a grown man, repeatedly piss on his couch?

In Primary school the teacher used to do a similar thing to this; read out a word and we had to spell it and use it in a sentence (to help handwriting/spelling/vocabulary) and I got chucked out every week for making up sentences like those.
personally, i have to say that defenestration has to be one of my favourite words ever. i defenestrated myself once, when drunk. windows are a lot like doors, you know? i also rather like exsanguination. ok, so death by blood loss isn't exactly fun, but it IS a brilliant word. it just...rolls off the tongue nicely, you know?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I think Defenestrated comes from the German word Fenster, for window.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Robbie n strat
Pollex - The innermost digit of the fore-limbs (in humans it's the thumb).

you'll prolly like 'Hallux' then - that's the big toe's latin name

oh, and my favorite: idiosyncratic

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug. (dictionary.com)
Or just the french word "fenêtre" perhaps?
Quote by ..NEM..
*hugs back and grabs White Ponys ass*
Call My Bluff is the one, Burpin' Worm.

Quote by Pinky19
"Roundabout" well... strange sounding (and looking) word... simple where it came from... but i just think its weird...
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
Retrochronicide - Going back in time to kill someone's ancestor so that that someone won't exist in your time.
Velocipede - A human-powered vehicle that was the predecessor to the bicycle.

It's a badass word for a silly-looking machine.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
Favela - Brazilian shanty town. I see that word cropping up occasionally and quite like it.

"I recommend a favela for all your sex tourism needs"
I laugh whenever anyone says "dickhead" but it's not really a real word, so...
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by Cied Shredder
I think Defenestrated comes from the German word Fenster, for window.

Quote by White Pony
Or just the french word "fenêtre" perhaps?

Actually, they both probably come from the Latin fenestra, meaning window.

My favorite word?

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-The fear of long words.
crap- a commen word but comes from thomas crapper inventor of the modern flush of a toilet
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Quote by jazza1234
crap- a commen word but comes from thomas crapper inventor of the modern flush of a toilet

He didn't invent the modern flush toilet, although he did do some work with them. The word crap sprang up about the same time, but it was coincidence.

Now for a word.

Carfax - a crossroads in the middle of a village or town.

I love the word, and it also is the only word to describe such a thing, but it's now archaic or poetic.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Wether - A castrated ram

I think of that every time I go to write weather or whether.