Hi. This is my first post at UG :P
Anyhow, I have'nt seen any posts where someone acutally said what they think about the Les Paul BFG (other that how ugly it is, but that depends on your taste), and the impressions they get when playing it. Point is, I've been considering one since I saw them, not only for looks (IMO it's nice) but also for the good choice of mic's and the cool feature of using a killswitch.

So the question is, what's your opinion regarding the BFG, and do you belive it's a versatile guitar? My main music styles are: Punk, modern rock, classic rock and some times even some pop-punk.
Go on Harmony Central and check the reviews on there.

If you're looking into one though, definately try a few out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The BFG has a Burstbucker 3, if that's what you meant
And another thing, the BFG costs about 1430$ here in Sweden, so is it really worth the price? Considering that it's kinda teared down and apparently has a couple of intentional flaws.
Gibson SG Faded (Gibson Angus Young Signature humbucker)
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo V3

Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 pedal
Last edited by Kiwilagoon at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by Kiwilagoon
Hi. This is my first post at UG :P
Point is, I've been considering one since I saw them, not only for looks (IMO it's nice) but also for the good choice of mic's and the cool feature of using a killswitch.

So the question is, what's your opinion regarding the BFG, and do you belive it's a versatile guitar? My main music styles are: Punk, modern rock, classic rock and some times even some pop-punk.

dude, all les pauls have the killswitch, not just that one, all you do is turn volume down on one pickup and tone down too, then use the other one and switch between both to get feedback.

it could be versatile, but like you said before, its ugly. i wouldnt get it, no fretboard inlays, feels so rough and messed up. if you play stuff like punk, the fatstrat is always a good one, classic rock, les paul (les paul can be good for punk too, just dont get black), pop punk is the same, but iv never seen many use a les paul for pop punk, its always some odd company or just a fender.
Well yeah, but I must say I love the finish of it :P
The only thing that actually bothers me is that I dont want to have too much hassle to get it to sound good, considering those intentional flaws it's supposed to have.
I must say though, the sound that Cheetah Crome get's in this video (http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures.aspx?aliaspath=/AllAccess/Les%20Paul%20BFG%20Players_%20Cheetah) is pretty awesome. Sure, I suppose it's possible to get on pretty much any guitar, but this guitar is so awesome looking and so well equipped IMO.

Quote by jincasa
dude, all les pauls have the killswitch, not just that one, all you do is turn volume down on one pickup and tone down too, then use the other one and switch between both to get feedback.

It's a pickup switch and two volume knobs. A killswitch is a different thing.

Anyway, I don't know how it sounds, but it looks like Gibson designers have listening to Muse because the guitar has some characteristics that Bellamy's custom guitars have too: p90 + high output humbucker and killswitch. Although I dunno if the killswitch is in old PU selector position or not. If not, that's more like a Buckethead rip...
Well, the only thing that actually makes me hesitate (not that I'm in a rush of buying a new guitar, I'll probably wait another year) is the quality of it. At the Les Paul forum people were mostly unhappy with it and I saw pictures of really bad quality issue things, like worm eaten fretboards...
Not really the same kind of guitar (well, its lp shaped atleast), but do you guys think that the Washburn WI64 pro is a worthy competitor? I've seen tests where people thought it was better than Gibson's LP's, and I have a Washburn myself that is really great.
Might be testing out a BFG soon, so I'll tell you my experience from that, but I also want to hear input on the washburn.

I've actually played this guitar first hand (something I'm betting alot of people haven't done since I believe it just came out) and I hated it. First, the killswitch is in a horrible spot, I kept hitting it unintentionally when I went to change the damn volume!! the cosmetics suck ass, the pickups were muddy (and don't blame it on the amp, it was through a Marshall JMC2000 Special Edition at the store I played it at) and it was very uncomfortable. If felt cheap, kinda like my starter guitar, but at 5 times the price (it was $1500 taxes in here).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Well, I like the Les Paul BFG. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "flamethrower" as Gibson says. What really troubles me about it is the lack of fretbaord inlays...c'mon people. AT LEAST put dots. But...my biggest beef with this guitar is those darn volume and tone knobs. They are so ugly, every time I look at them I think of the Flinstones...don't ask me why.
Quote by thedude051
Well, I like the Les Paul BFG. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "flamethrower" as Gibson says. What really troubles me about it is the lack of fretbaord inlays...c'mon people. AT LEAST put dots. But...my biggest beef with this guitar is those darn volume and tone knobs. They are so ugly, every time I look at them I think of the Flinstones...don't ask me why.

I think plain fretboards are really attractive. As it's a gigging guitar too by the looks of it, you'll be playing it standing up, not looking at the fretboard but the marking on the side of the neck.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The red one looks like raw salmon... I just thought I'd point that out.

I think the BFG is a joke. If you ask me, Gibson is just trying to make a quick buck throwing the name "Les Paul" on a crappy, stripped down, POS guitar.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkpc781SPI

For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
^LOL!

Thought so, wasn't too interested when i first saw it...ugh.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R