so i've asked before but nothing out of that, so i'll try again. does anyone know what pickups would be good when you play with fingers(think mark knopfler). i'm looking for hummies with a good growl in it and loads of harmonics, anyone have some good experience just name em or post a link and i'll look into them. thanks
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
For excellent and the best pickups in my opinion, go to bareknuckle. For the best value and still excellent pickups go to swineshead.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
The Bareknuckle Mules are nice and vintage sounding, great for Mark Knopfler's style AND his Les Paul tone too. Tim at Bareknuckle will help you out with anything. Hear a humbucker of his you like? then just ask him and he'll be able to tailor them to your style (for example, by underwinding them to aid your fingerstyle).

I play like MK does a lot of the time, but I just use the pickups I have in - doesn't seem to pose any problems for me.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Mark Knopfler uses EMG SA's in his strat. I think some of their passive humbuckers, not 81's, might be able come close.
there are no problems really, but at the moment i have a EMG-Hz 4 and a 4A on the guitar i play most of the time on. and i like them but they are you know like, not just yet. there's still something missing, a little to less sustain, not quite subtle enough harmonics are a little too hard to get.

problem is, everywhere on sites the demo's are played with a pick so you don't hear how they would sound when you play with fingers. so if it sounds too thin i might discard it when i shouldnt, and when i find it sounding good i'll end up with mud.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by avalanche930
Mark Knopfler uses EMG SA's in his strat. I think some of their passive humbuckers, not 81's, might be able come close.

as far as i know it a 85-SA-SA set in his guitar.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
as far as i know it a 85-SA-SA set in his guitar.

Yup, he uses a 85/SA/SA combo in his Pensa Suhr. John Suhr himself told me that he also has a custom push/pull mid boost installed in that guitar, and a buffer circuit too to make the bucker and the single coils the same volume (so the singles aren't drowned out when mixed with the 85). He said "Sorry but the specifics are proprietary" in regards to the buffer. That is all I really know about the insides of that guitar.

BTW: I was researching into his Pensa Suhr as I was going to build a copy of it (still might do)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Yup, he uses a 85/SA/SA combo in his Pensa Suhr. John Suhr himself told me that he also has a custom push/pull mid boost installed in that guitar, and a buffer circuit too to make the bucker and the single coils the same volume (so the singles aren't drowned out when mixed with the 85). He said "Sorry but the specifics are proprietary" in regards to the buffer. That is all I really know about the insides of that guitar.

BTW: I was researching into his Pensa Suhr as I was going to build a copy of it (still might do)

cool show us some pics when you finish it , so far i think those stormy mondays will do, they're very bright and clear but i have yet to hear a distorted sound of them
UG's Flamenco Club