What genre does these artists fall into?
I can't describe what "genre" I want to play when I want to play songs by these artists:

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Paul Gilbert
Slash
Neil Zaza
Van Halen

Let me know

Thanks!
Van Halen is glam rock, Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver are classic rock, and the rest are considered shred, even though I don't really think that's a genre.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Van Halen is glam rock, Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver are classic rock, and the rest are considered shred, even though I don't really think that's a genre.

Mostly right, and I don't want to start a war, but I'm pretty sure VR is more of a modern rock
if you listen to slash he has a very bluses sound when he plays, gnR are 80s Metal
VR is moderen rock that dosent suck(A very few in this one)
My gear
-----------------------------------------------------------
GIBSON LES PUAL STUDIO
MARSHALL 30MGDFX

other guitars
-WASHBURN ACCOUSTIC
-IBANEZ GSA 60
-BENTLY SERIS 10
steve vai, joe satriani and paul gilbert fall into neo-clasical, progressive, and mindless shredding, van halen and the rest are like rock or classic rock
Woah, I am really confused right now. However, these artists are no where close to metal right? So therefore I shouldn't get Guitar/Amp that is good for metal to cover these guitar gods?
Quote by Do_the_dew910
Mostly right, and I don't want to start a war, but I'm pretty sure VR is more of a modern rock

Modern rock doesn't exist. It's time of writing makes no difference to how it sounds.

And no, metal guitars and amps won't help you sound like those guys, though Paul Gilbert plays in a metal band, but his signature Ibanez isn't particularly metal-orientated.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by DownInAHole.
"oriented."
"Oriental."

An excellent flavor of instant noodles...
Joe Satriani- Shred
Steve Vai- Shred
Eric Johnson- tough to say
Paul Gilbert- Shred
Slash- 80s Rock
Neil Zaza- don't know
Van Halen- 80s rock
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Shred isn't a very helpful genre title. Nor is '80s rock'.

Quote by ShadowsFallFan
steve vai, joe satriani and paul gilbert fall into neo-clasical, progressive, and mindless shredding, van halen and the rest are like rock or classic rock

XD When has Satriani ever played neoclassical? Or progressive? Or 'mindless shredding'? And Vai too? Or do you just recall their names as people who play fast and never actually heard them before?

Looking at the list, no, none of them seem to be very close to metal much at all. Maybe for some of them, but not really. Aim for a strong distortion tone with a little delay to smooth it out, but defintiely not metal (especially someone like Johnson!). Looking at a lot of them (Vai, Satriani, Johnson, etc...) I could not for the life of me ever assign a genre to them, because it's just impossible. I look at Satriani's discography and I'm baffled at the task. Most just refer to it as 'Instrumental Rock', but that's a completely useless title, as is Shred or 80s Rock or Modern Rock or whatever.