Okay...so, I'm thinking about putting a bigsby ( like this one ) on my Telecaster. I do, however, have a question for all of you who may have infinitely more experience at this than me. I've read into it, and some sites say you have to shim the neck, essentially changing the angle of the joint to compensate for the higher bridge height...whereas others make no mention of this. I have no problem with my skills as far as installing the bigsby goes...but I'm a little nervous about messing with the neck. Can anyone tell me if this is typically necessary?
I really should find something worthwhile to put down here...
Shimming the neck isn't messing with the neck itself.

It's loosening the neck adjustment screws, and placing a shim - what you use is a matter of taste. Some people use veneers, some use picks, I've heard of people using metal plates - inside the neck cavity to raise the neck up compared to the body.

With a higher bridge, you generally need an angle on the neck to get a consistently good action.
Some teles came with bigsbys, i played one. my uncle has one, and he had replaced the neck, but i couldn't tell if there was any neck angle (which shows how small it should need to be)

Shimming isn't much of a change, and is the most reversible of any operation. If you can set it up so that it is playable, with satisfactory action, no need to shim the neck.

BTW, 1967 Tele W/ stock Bigsby, FTW.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Oh the Bigsby curse. Serves that design stealing son of a bitch, Leo Fender, right.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
hey...curse or no curse...there's just something about a Telecaster with a Bigsby on it that makes a person want to have relations with it
I really should find something worthwhile to put down here...
Quote by Ippon

To see if the curse is for real, do this!

Make an Esquire!

That's not the pine geetar, is it?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I don't get all this Bigsby curse and Telecaster pictures mumbo-jumbo.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Well obviously there wouldn't be a curse on that - it's an Esquire, not a Telecaster! Totally different animals.
Quote by StaggHound
Well obviously there wouldn't be a curse on that - it's an Esquire, not a Telecaster! Totally different animals.

Perhaps you missed the point of putting a Bigsby on a Fender being the curse?

"He was believing Leo stole his ideas and became rich. He easily got angry in less than
two minutes when he heard the name "Fender". Naturally, he never talked with Leo
while he had many good relations with other guitar companies.

Now, knowing these backgrounds, you must know you can't put Bigsby vibrato unit on
your telecaster. Yes, you will be cursed if you do it! It might be okay with the "F" stamped
unit like Fig2, but you should definitely avoid the "Bigsby" stamped unit like Fig3 as the
spirit of Bigsby won't forgive you. : )"
Quote by Ippon
Perhaps you missed the point of putting a Bigsby on a Fender being the curse?

"He was believing Leo stole his ideas and became rich. He easily got angry in less than
two minutes when he heard the name "Fender". Naturally, he never talked with Leo
while he had many good relations with other guitar companies.

Now, knowing these backgrounds, you must know you can't put Bigsby vibrato unit on
your telecaster. Yes, you will be cursed if you do it! It might be okay with the "F" stamped
unit like Fig2, but you should definitely avoid the "Bigsby" stamped unit like Fig3 as the
spirit of Bigsby won't forgive you. : )"

I don't see where it says putting a Bigsby on your Fender creating a curse - it only says Telecaster
^true and yay i was first about the cursae i just couldn't find the link. thanks man
Quote by StaggHound
I don't see where it says putting a Bigsby on your Fender creating a curse - it only says Telecaster

OK, in the spirit of just having fun and to explore what was meant in the article ...

"... Paul Bigsby is known to (be) the inventor of the first practical and usable solid electric guitar (Fig1).

... the headstock design was copied on strat, and, it was Bigsby who originally made popular the vibrato unit among musicians.

He (Bigsby) was believing Leo stole his ideas ...
"

"... It might be okay with the "F" stamped unit like Fig2, but you should definitely avoid the "Bigsby" stamped unit like Fig3 as the spirit of Bigsby won't forgive you. : )"