Everyone says EMGs will only reach there potential through a tube amp, Would this be with any old tube amp,like the epi valve jr.?
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
first, that's false. EMGs are good with any amp.

and yes, it will drive the tubes of any tube amp harder. unless you use the low gain input, which would ruin the point of it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I think EMGS have alot higher output so they break up tubes to get more distortion easier. I could be way off though so I would wait for more opinions, but I would think any tube amp will benifit from EMG pickups.
EMGs sound good with SS amps. They just sound like passives. In tubes, however, they DO sound better and DO overdrive the tubes more.

I literally plugged in an EC-1000 with EMGs and an EC-1000 with SD into a Peavey 5150, and there was a difference. They both sounded awesome, but you could hear that one had EMGs.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
any pickup will reach it's full potential in a tube amp, just because tube amps sound better.

a good pickup will sound better on a SS amp then a crappy pickup

a crappy pickup will sound better on a tube amp then a ss amp (for the most part)
Quote by sheldonplank
Oh, you did NOT steal my avatar, boy!!!

sorry,i dident know. ill change it
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
Quote by tubab0y
and yes, it will drive the tubes of any tube amp harder. unless you use the low gain input, which would ruin the point of it.

i use the low gain input for my EMG's, need more headroom for cleans.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I do not think EMGs sound good through all tube amps. My ex rhythm guitarist had a LP Studio with 81/85 going through a Peavey XXX and it sounded horrible. It had a really muddy buzzy sound. Nothing that you would intentionally want. I have heard LPs with 81/85 through Marshalls and Mesas that sounded great. So it could have just been the amp.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
I do not think EMGs sound good through all tube amps. My ex rhythm guitarist had a LP Studio with 81/85 going through a Peavey XXX and it sounded horrible. It had a really muddy buzzy sound. Nothing that you would intentionally want. I have heard LPs with 81/85 through Marshalls and Mesas that sounded great. So it could have just been the amp.

Most likely the amp or his settings. THe XXX is very bright... was he using it through a XXX cab?

A less paul studio should ROCK with EMG's, I highly doubt the bad sound you were hearing was the fault of the pickups.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
EMGs will drive a tube harder, and it does not drive a SS amp harder since it has no tubes. This is why people often say EMGs require a tube amp. To say that they act like passives with a SS amp is not true though. The EMG pickups have more characteristics than just higher output, such as the reduced noise and feedback which works with SS amps just as well.

Yes, EMGs make a bigger difference with tubes but they are still a very viable choise for SS amps due to their other tonal and output characteristics.
WTLTL 2011
actually they will drive an SS amp harder, transistors clip, just like tubes do, only they clip hard and it doesnt sound as good.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Mark G
EMGs will drive a tube harder, and it does not drive a SS amp harder since it has no tubes.

pretty much goes for any high output pickups i guess, and not just EMGs
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Any pickup sounds better on a tube amp. And it's a crock of shìt that EMGs are a waste unless you have a tube amp. If you like the sound of EMGs, then you will like them through tube or solid state.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor