How do you practice scales? Do you like start on the low e string finishing the appropriate notes on the whole string and then start on the next string and finish that and move on or do you choose a position on the neck where you can have access to all the appropriate notes using a box so you dont really move your hand mostly like when doin the minor pentatonic as follows:

1-4
1-3
1-3
1-3
1-4
1-4

Thx
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
I use a 3 note per string patern almost exlusively. It's the most convienient and I can do it faster than 2 or 4 note per string ones.

It doesn't stay in one place like a box though, you will usually move your hand up about 2 frets if you go from E to E string.
Quote by breakstuff
How do you practice scales? Do you like start on the low e string finishing the appropriate notes on the whole string and then start on the next string and finish that and move on or do you choose a position on the neck where you can have access to all the appropriate notes using a box so you dont really move your hand

What you described is just the BARE MINIMUM scale practice. Really that's only to
initially memorize the basic finger positions on the fretboard and to begin getting your
fingers used to moving in the scale.

Beyond that, there's an infinite variety of ways to practice scales. I think many
don't have a clear understanding of WHY practice scales. Among some of the reasons
are: train your fingers to move in different ways, "see" the scale better all over the
fretboard, pick out certain notes and patterns (like arpeggios) anywhere in the scale
anywhere on the fretboard ... lots of good reasons.