ok. first off, i like metal, some modern/classic/heavy rock also. i am currently trying to learn scales and put excersizes together for myself. i would like to just kind of, do runs down the fretboards using scales.

my guitar has 22 frets, what should i do when i am playing a scale and i get down to the 23rd and 24th fret? should i just not go down that far, or should i go down there and just not play the 23/24's? but if i do that, what do i do to fill the missing space where the 23/24 would be?

other question is, i would like to put together a series of scales so i can just run down one scale, then another, and another. i would like to do this to learn scales and build technique and speed. so what scales do you guys recommend i use? i don't know a lot about theory yet so i don't know which scales make sense together.

i have guitar pro, so if you just tell me what scale, like c pent minor, or whatever, i could use guitar pro to tell me the notes, and i could tab my excersize out or something.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Don't think of scales in terms of the frets. Think of them in terms of the actual notes. If you're missing the D# and E where your 23rd and 24th frets would be, you still have a plethora of other D#'s and E's.
Quote by yawn
Don't think of scales in terms of the frets. Think of them in terms of the actual notes. If you're missing the D# and E where your 23rd and 24th frets would be, you still have a plethora of other D#'s and E's.

hes right. you really only need those frets for the highest string. any other string, you just move up one and back five.
1. bend the note or play it in a higher string, or just don't play it.

2. Absolutely vital scales: Major, minor, pentatonic minor and maybe even harmonic minor.

The best thing to know when learning about scales is - and I see this constantly with people who're just starting out - is to NOT think of a scale as a pattern. I.e. 80% of so called guitarists think that the E Pentatonic minor is this:

e|-12---15---|
B|-12---15---|
G|-12---14---|
D|-12---14---|
A|-12---14---|
E|-12---15---|

This is just one pattern of an E Pentatonic Minor scale. You could play the same thing (the same notes) in a different way. Maybe you want only 1 note on the low E and 3 notes on the A string.
What I'm trying to say is to not think of a scale like that. Fire up Guitar Pro and tell it to show you E pent. minor. Then look at the notes. The ideal way is to think about scales in intervals - how far apart the notes are on the fretboard. Then instead of playing just that one pattern you can play all over the fretboard and in whatever key you're in, you'll know where the other notes are, because you only move the root (starting point - in the key of E it's 12th, 24th or 0th fret on low E).

Although I consider those scales vital, no one can tell you what scales to learn. It all depends on your style. If you play rock, blues, metal g with the pent minor or the blues scale. For shred go with Mixolydian or Harmonic minor,... But you _have_ to know at least the major scale to learn about scales. It's the mother of all scales.
ok, so no matter where on the fretboard, a scale is just a series of notes. I'm a n00b when it comes to scales. any suggestions on which scales i should start out learning and practicing? because i would like to do some runs down the fretboard and use more than one scale.

and also, when playing scales, are you supposed to play the scale in order of the notes, or can you pretty much mix it all up as long as you stick to the notes in the scale?

sorry for the n00b questions

EDIT: posted this before i read ^, thanks a lot. that will help greatly. i don't have access to a guitar teacher because i am in kuwait right now, i will get one when i get back.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Last edited by PlayTheMetal at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by PlayTheMetal
and also, when playing scales, are you supposed to play the scale in order of the
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to practice something, I suggest using a predetermined pattern, though it doesn;t have to be linear (A B C D is linear while A C D B is not). When playing music, you can abandon any sense of pattern entirely. As long as you use the correct notes, you are still using the scale.
When playing a scale you can do whatever you want with the notes. A scale is basically a set of notes that sound good together and (together) give a certain sound; major - happy, minor - sad,... Also, there's no rule that you shouldn't use the notes which are not in the scale. Some people avoid these notes (called accidentals) as a plague which I find somewhat odd, because if a certain note sounds good to you at a certain moment but it's not in the scale... Why not use it. There's actually no rules in music as you'll find and you only need your ear to make decisions on what sounds good.

For practice runs you're best with going through a certain pattern of a scale. I.e. C major at 8th position is very good at this:

e|-7-8-10---|
B|-8---10---|
G|-7-9-10---|
D|-7-9-10---|
A|-7-8-10---|
E|-8---10---|

Another favorite of mine is A harmonic minor at 12th position:

e|-12-13-16-|
B|-12-13-15-|
G|-13-14----|
D|-12-14-15-|
A|-12-14-15-|
E|-12-13-16-|

Harmonic minor is a great scale for practicing, because it's a little odd as fas as finger goes.
Then there's the chromatic scale:

e|-8-9-10-11----|
B|-9-10-11-12--|
G|-9-10-11-12--|
D|-10-11-12-13-|
A|-11-12-13-14-|
E|-12-13-14-15-|

Although I guess that's not as important, because you'll find yourself doing mostly 3 or 2 note per string runs.

Also, I almost forgot to mention the Melodic minor. Which is great to build up speed, because you use one pattern to move down the scale and another to go back up.

|-----------------------------------------------------------10-12-13------
|-----------------------------------------------10-12-13------------------
|-------------------------------------9-10-12------------------------------
|--------------------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------
|-----------------10-12----------------------------------------------------
|-----10-12-13------------------------------------------------------------

|-----12-10-----------------------------------------------------------
|-------------13-12-10-----------------------------------------------
|-------------------------13-11--9------------------------------------
|------------------------------------12-10--9-------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------12-11--9--------------
|----------------------------------------------------------12-10------