I have a really bad case of writers block. Just a few days ago I wrote this song, and now every single song I write sounds exactly like it. My band is a metal band but my drummer hates screaming. Most of the stuff I write now is the same form (pedal tone-minor 5th- minor 4th- minor 6th-minor 4th). The problem with him not liking screaming is that I can write some good riffs, but it's impossible to come up with a melody to them so I have to drop them. A lot of people say write about your emotions but I don't have any emotions that are strong enough to exoress right now. I have very strong views about society but I can't express myself through guitar with those. I can write good lyrics but I just can't come up with a good guitar part to go along with it.
hmm, maybe try making the riffs and the song on guitar first, and then put lyrics to it.
if that doesnt help, maybe just take a mental break for a while, dont think about it, and usually when you come back fresh, you'll have more creative ideas, at least, thats how i work.

good luck dude
Try reading the Rules and FAQ, and reposting this somewhere else, that might help
just do what i do and do something absolutely different from anything you have EVER done....example, i play in the keys D, E, and A ALOT, so, the other day, i just, to do something different, played in Bb...no damn reason, just i closed my exes and threw a dart at a chord chart on my wall...it landed on a Bbm7, so, i was like..."ok, Bb then"
Why not just have a bit of screaming in some songs?
If it is just one person who doesn't like it and the rest of the band do, you should try and reason.

^ But don't make a huge argument of it and break up your band just for the sake of that
Quote by GibsonSG15
hmm, maybe try making the riffs and the song on guitar first, and then put lyrics to it.
if that doesnt help, maybe just take a mental break for a while, dont think about it, and usually when you come back fresh, you'll have more creative ideas, at least, thats how i work.

good luck dude

That's what I do. I guess I'll try it reversed. Some other guy said try listening to songs. That's half of the problem. When I listen to songs I get inspiration... but then I end up just copying them. Right now I just wrote a page of lyrics, but I can't get a melody because I keep thinking of another song. Maybe I do need to take a break...
Quote by X\Chazza/X
Why not just have a bit of screaming in some songs?
If it is just one person who doesn't like it and the rest of the band do, you should try and reason.

^ But don't make a huge argument of it and break up your band just for the sake of that

The band only has one other member. We kicked out our bassist two weeks ago for not liking screaming.

Nah. We kicked him out because he never showed up to rehearsals.

I don't mean to sound like someone who's selling out...but I want people to like my music too. Everyone I know hates metal so when I show them my songs they hate them. I can't get any good criticism. If it wasn't for that I would put in screaming, the drummer doesn't have an overwhelming opinion on most things. I could force a little screaming in.
Quote by Lyrics Tips Thread
Writers block

It's not a nice thing, but everyone has been there, you feel empty it seems you'll never write a good song again, your ideas are insipid and your descriptions are bland, but have no fear, persevere with it, here is the time to just write.....write anything...(no other time do this mind).
You have to continue to write as though you were full of ideas, soon enough you'll hit upon something and you'll be on your way again, blocks can last as long as they have to, but during a block is a time to expand your knowledge.....read, listen to a new band, and soon you'll get inspired.

The Lyrics Tips Thread has all the answers.