Hey everyone, I'm really anxious to upgrade this horrible, horrible amp I have. I'm not sure what to get, and a few amps I was looking at aren't tube amps, everyone seems to always have nothing but positive things to say about tube amps.

My budget is $300-400, though I would go slightly higher if a nice amp were just out of the 400 price range. I enjoy mostly rock/hard rock: metal, trash, etc.. though I love classic rock just as much. I'd like to upgrade, but at the same time I don't want to settle for something poor. If theres great amps in the $400 price range I'd love to upgrade now, but if they are nothing special, then I'd rather hold out for a while and save up more for something better. The downside to this is it may be a while to save up a few hundred more, and my amp I have now is garbage.

I'd love to hear comments.
They are much more expresive. Like, the tone changes more radically the harder you hit your strings. And when they're cranked, the natural overdrive you get from the volume creates tones that just can't be reached from a SS amp. I had the hardest time replicating tom morellos sound without one.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
is the pope catholic?
the peavey valve kings are about the cheapest good ones i have found.
Last edited by sp0ckr0cks at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by sp0ckr0cks
is the pope catholic?
the peavey valve kings are about the cheapest good ones i have found.

Epi VJ
Are valve amps that much better? Yes. No question.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Are valve amps that much better? Yes. No question.

Damn, nice gear. PGM 301 and a Rocker 30. I'm jealous.
Whether solid state or tube is better is completely subjective.
Hi, I'm Peter
yes and no. Tube = better tonal qualities, SS = cheaper and lower maintenance. If you have the cash, tube > SS. If not....praise god SS amps exist.
WTLTL 2011
Tube amps are terribly hard to upkeep. Before I ever ventured into tube-land, I heard preaching about how SS amps made life easier.

Bah, I say.

If you want "good" tone, there is no question the tube amps are the way to go. They are simply nicer on the ear. Will you have to put out $100 every year or two? Sure. But with that said, what you get back is tenfold. Rich tone, warm when you want it. Dark when you need it. It won't clip out. You have control over the sounds you make.

Anyone who has ever said any SS amp holds a candle to any mentionable tube amp doesn't know what they're talking about.

~fin
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
^ Compare the cleans from the Roland JC-120 to any Fender tube amp. There are higher-end solid states that can also do metal distortion VERY well and compete against some of the middle-of-the-road or higher end metal amps.
Hi, I'm Peter
Say, didnt Dimebag Darrell use solid states? If you know how to dial in EQ's just right, you can get a greater sound with an SS than some other people with tube amps. But, yeah, tube amps are generally better, just know how to work it.
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Damn, nice gear. PGM 301 and a Rocker 30. I'm jealous.

z0mg, orange rocker owners unite! LOL!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by rockr09
Say, didnt Dimebag Darrell use solid states? If you know how to dial in EQ's just right, you can get a greater sound with an SS than some other people with tube amps. But, yeah, tube amps are generally better, just know how to work it.

I hear alot of metal heads like the distortion on SS amps more than Tube amps....I totally blanked on the reason why, but they generally sounds alot more harsh, If you will.

I don't like solid state amps as much though, but they can get pretty good.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
I hear alot of metal heads like the distortion on SS amps more than Tube amps....I totally blanked on the reason why, but they generally sounds alot more harsh, If you will.

I don't like solid state amps as much though, but they can get pretty good.

Yea, Jinskee is right... when it comes to a good METAL sound... SS or tube is all a matter of opinion.

But when it comes to classic rock or pretty much anything else, most will agree that tube is much better.
O, well I would get a tube amp any day over an SS, I was just saying that SS isnt all that bad. Heck if I was rich, I would get an expensive tube amp and an expensive SS amp, and an expensive digital amp, and an expenive hybrid/transtube amp, just to have them and gain more knowledge of what sounds you can acheive. Ahh... maybe someday.....
Quote by Jinskee

I suppose it's because tubes give a classic sound and much modern metal uses such a highly compresses tone with artificially high gain that it sounds not at all natural anyway.
I must admit there is a tone I like which is so artificial that most classic rock fans would faint, but it sounds kind of futuristic to me.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha