I was thinking of buying a new microphone for singing in a band and I was just wondering which are the best renown brand of microphone there is available to buy, but which is not too expensive?

Thanks.
The SM-58 is the industry-standard vocal mic, and not that expensive, so that's your best bet. Generally the SM-57 is used for recording amplified guitars and basses.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
The only difference between the SM57 and the SM58 is that the SM58 has a metal pop filter on the end making it advantageous for singing since it gets rid of many of the plosive pops created by the human voice while singing. If you were to unscrew the cover on the end it would be the same as the SM57.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

If you want something a little cheaper, the Peavey PVi2 Dynamic Microphone is pretty good. I have one and it's easily as durable as a Shure (I've used it as a hammer to fix my guitar case). The sound isn't quite as good, but it's close. Only a very discerning ear can tell the difference.

It's considerably cheaper, so you can almost buy two for the price of one Shure.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by thrice_removed
The only difference between the SM57 and the SM58 is that the SM58 has a metal pop filter on the end making it advantageous for singing since it gets rid of many of the plosive pops created by the human voice while singing. If you were to unscrew the cover on the end it would be the same as the SM57.

How can that be true? Check the frequency response graphs on the Shure website, they are noticeably different. I know the screen might throw off the readings a little bit, but not that much. They are similar mics, but not the same.

Edit:
Shure description of the differences

again, similar but not the same thing.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Feb 21, 2007,
dont get the 58 beta they sound really nasaly well to much 2-6kHz in them

but an SM58 is definetly the mic to get

yes the 57 is quite a bit different from the 58, as it was designed for instrument use not vocals
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by thrice_removed

Not quite true. They ARE pretty similar, Ill give you that. But the 57 has a deferent frequency response and a different pickup pattern. THe 57 picks up pretty much only whats put directly infront of it. The 58 is a bit more broad with what it picks up.